• vinyl soft case

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • snap lock case

Votes: 57 86.4%

• Total voters

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I prefer the old style vinyl/soft cases over the snap lock ones. Even though the tray cracks if you look at it the wrong way i like the bigger art insert and the way they close compared to the newer ones. They are a bit more "boxy" looking than the later cases. Then there is the carton box cases...pleh.

Just a heads up, my next poll will be about which baggie gets you hard.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
All three have their problems.

Carton - Hardest to find in good condition and made of cardboard.

Old Case - Trays cracks and sometimes the plastic lining shrinks and causes whitening on inserts. I do like how they open and how they smell like vinyl. It is like opening a new game each and every time you open one up

Snap lock case - Causes indentations on the insert due to crevices and snk embossed logo (both which can be fixed through a acid free paper cut to the right length underneath the insert). Additionally, the snk logo inside the case likes to scratch up the back of carts (can be fixed with bubble wrap). Another point is that if you are not careful, you can break the snap lock right off (I always make sure to have one hand on the back of the snap and one to open to make sure I use the least amount of pressure)

I am going to go with snap lock cases on this. Wanna know what they all suck at? Holding the manuals.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
You can't beat the snaplock case IMO the old case suffered from tray crack's and for me decreased the value.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The old style vinyl/cardboard cases are also a bit inconsistent in height. From around 6 or 7mm below the vinyl window, to almost above it, there's a good bit of variance just in how the insert fits in the case. On a solid, level shelf it's easy to see these "tall" cases as well. :D

I really like the refined look of the snap-lock cases, with their slightly rounded spines & consistent size, though they're not the greatest place to keep inserts, manuals or carts. :p

Carton boxes are good if you like the challenge of finding & maintaining the most wear-prone packaging possible, I guess.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Snap lock, even though it has it's problems. The vinyl cases hack me off, because finding a game with a non-cracked tray is a chore, and they can also break during shipping. :E

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Def snap lock for me. The old vinyal one over time will tear your inserts around the top corners due to shrinkage. I'm replacing all my old vinyal ones with black shock boxes. They are way bigger but at least they won't destroy the inserts.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Snaplock vote here too. Aside the pros and cons described, they just make my NeoGeo games feel like a solid, great, premium product - which the NeoGeo undoubtedly is.

Shame KOF 94 didn't receive the Snaplock treatment to be honest, but 1994 was just outside the window...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I love snaplock cases the most, they reek of class. Soft cases are okay too, but not as good. I've never had a cardboard Neo game, but I've owned cardboard boxes for other systems and they always suck.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Cartons wears out.
Old case cracks inside
Snaplock scratches your game.

Pick you poison. IMO, they all suck but Snaplock is probably the best.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I love looking at snaplocks, but I much prefer handling the vinyl cases.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I friggin' love the snaplock cases. They are one of the sexiest cart cases ever. My only complaint is the outer clear vinyl can stretch and deform after a while.

I also dig how NGP games mimicked the snapcase.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Love the vinyl when it has a well fitting, unwrinkled, taught and perfect insert in it, I think the artwork looks at it's best then. In the snaplock cases you have the crinkled clear plastic and also the unflat surface underneath the insert - so it bends just a bit along the top and bottom edges. Don't like that.

Unfortunately with the vinyl they nearly always have something wrong, crinkled insert, cracked tray etc etc, so reluctantly will have to vote snaplock too.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Snap Locks - There's something more over the top about the snap locks that make it more fitting for the Neo. What other system had crazy locking cases?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In terms of how easy it is to get the cart out to play, I'd have to say the vinyl one.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
So far, there seems to be an overwhelming majority in favour of Snaplocks! Good.

Also, regarding the NGPC cases; were only PAL title sold in the micro-snaplock cases vs cardboard, or were the Japanese ones plastic too?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So far, there seems to be an overwhelming majority in favour of Snaplocks! Good.

Also, regarding the NGPC cases; were only PAL title sold in the micro-snaplock cases vs cardboard, or were the Japanese ones plastic too?

My japanese Metal Slug 2nd Mission is in a plastic one.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Definitely the snap lock cases are the best (despite the potential issues with the insert indentations and the SNK logo).
Maybe if you're collector you might prefer the vinyl cases over the snap locks (because of those issues). But then you'd have the cracked trays (but even NOS games can have cracked trays, so I don't know if it would decrease the value of the game).
The carton is definitely the worst (not that I've had one yet). I would imagine it's hard to keep opening the box without gradually increasing the wear and tear.
You can also put your AES carts in shockboxes.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Snaplocks for me too the vinyl cases are nice too because its made out of vinyl but the snaplocks just looks and feels updated the ones i have came with bubble wrap on top and bottom so that helps with the scratching the cart they feel more like a solid product especially when your holding it

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
It's just like the difference between American NGPC titles and UK/JP Best of NGPC titles. Snap locks are just better.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member

All NGP games in all regions started out as snaplock cases, even in the US. SNK quickly changed to cardboard for the US and soon later Japan as well, UK releases never got switched over.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I agree: I like the vinyl the best. Just wish the trays wouldn't crack.

All three have their problems.

Carton - Hardest to find in good condition and made of cardboard.

Old Case - Trays cracks and sometimes the plastic lining shrinks and causes whitening on inserts. I do like how they open and how they smell like vinyl. It is like opening a new game each and every time you open one up

Snap lock case - Causes indentations on the insert due to crevices and snk embossed logo (both which can be fixed through a acid free paper cut to the right length underneath the insert). Additionally, the snk logo inside the case likes to scratch up the back of carts (can be fixed with bubble wrap). Another point is that if you are not careful, you can break the snap lock right off (I always make sure to have one hand on the back of the snap and one to open to make sure I use the least amount of pressure)

I am going to go with snap lock cases on this. Wanna know what they all suck at? Holding the manuals.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
All NGP games in all regions started out as snaplock cases, even in the US. SNK quickly changed to cardboard for the US and soon later Japan as well, UK releases never got switched over.

Never seen a US pocket game in snap case...pics or it didn't happen.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

i day one bought my ngp.

always cardboard.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Same here, I bought the NGPC as soon as it was released and I've never seen a US snaplock.