What is the best SHMUP for the Neo-Geo. Also which one is the hardest to 1cc?

damadczar

n00b
I have to go with Blazing Star b/c it's the only one I have (got it with my 6 slot).

Why have I never played the rest? Fuck emulation, that's why.

But I'll be honest and say Twinkle Star Sprites looks fun. As does Aero Fighters II.

Viewpoint looks like Zaxxon... I hated Zaxxon.

manpurse

n00b
I bought my neo geo cab to play Aero Fights 2.

It came with Ghost Pilots, and man is that game hard.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Out of that list, Fast Striker and TSS are the only two I've managed to 1cc.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Last Resort or Twinkle Star Sprites for me.

Last Resort has a really good soundtrack.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Best for me would be Pulstar and the hardest without doubt would be Viewpoint.

Couldn't even do the first level, just could not do it. Loved the bloody game though but also kinda hated it!

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
hardest pulstar,

best viewpont, you have to see it in the context. It was release in 1992

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Separated out the official releases from the hombrews/unofficial. Looks like Pulstar is getting the most love out of all the games. Twinkle Star Sprites, Last Resort getting quite a bit too.

Viewpoint seems to be universally regarded as the hardest to 1CC.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
These types of threads really only function as this : "I want to know what games are good, I'll tally up whatever gets the most name drops, and voila I'll know". But the titles that receive the most name drops may not necessarily meet the needs of the OP.

Separated out the official releases from the hombrews/unofficial. Looks like Pulstar is getting the most love out of all the games. Twinkle Star Sprites, Last Resort getting quite a bit too.

Viewpoint seems to be universally regarded as the hardest to 1CC.

Seriously, use MAME and find out for yourself.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Seriously, use MAME and find out for yourself.

It's been forever since I've used MAME, at least 10 years I'd say. Part of the reason I made this thread was just to figure out what games on the Neo are SHMUPs, so I can filter out the stuff I'm not really interested in (fighting games). For instance, I had no idea that Prehistoric Isle 2 was a SHMUP even though I've heard of the game before. I'd never even heard of Twinkle Star Sprites, which is apparently a forum favorite.

The ones I'm "for sure" going to get are Aerofighters 2 and Strikers 1945 Plus. I've played the other games in the series and enjoy them, so those are kind of no-brainers for me.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Pulstar is the hardest. It's a bitch.

It is also my favorite. However I am too poor to afford neo geo homebrew games.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
I haven't played any shrumps in a while but Viewpoint was a mother#uc*er. I don't remember playing IronClad, was this a hard game?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I haven't played any shrumps in a while but Viewpoint was a mother#uc*er. I don't remember playing IronClad, was this a hard game?

Shrump. That's a new one I haven't added to the list yet.

That girl's shrump gives me hard game.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Pulstar is generally considered the best shootemup for the Neo. But it is also the hardest. After Pulstar would be Blazing Star and then Last Resort.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Andro Dunos is amazing and I actually really love Ghost Pilots. Once you get the hang of it, it's great. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love considering how "Toaplan" it is.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Pulstar is what I play the most, but Ghost Pilots is an insane amount of fun and one of the first Neo games I ever played.

As I've said before, I can't figure out why it's never been more popular.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I used to play Ghost Pilots and made it far, game is long as fuck, I even left a score on our records but I think Busted beat me. I still have it and play it every now and then but I rather play other shooters most of the time.

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
Aero Fighters 2 ,Pulstar ,Blazing Star and Captain Tomaday. I had and sold both Blazing Star and Tomaday and I regret it :(