What is the best SHMUP for the Neo-Geo. Also which one is the hardest to 1cc?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's not necessarily enthusiasm. Again, I don't think Neo Geo shooters are that great as a whole. It's simply sharing some details for a particular title which frequently gets overlooked. Threads like these don't accomplish much unless everyone is an expert, and everyone breaks down every facet of every game. Who wants to (or even can) do this? Dissecting games isn't an obligation of anyone on this forum. People just want to shoot the breeze and have fun, as they should.

These types of threads really only function as this : "I want to know what games are good, I'll tally up whatever gets the most name drops, and voila I'll know". But the titles that receive the most name drops may not necessarily meet the needs of the OP.

In this case, he doesn't seem to be overly critical, so I suppose it's appropriate for this thread to function as such.

Extremely overlooked. The OST is ridiculous, get ready for a roller coaster. That's not just it, I can see the beginning being a turn off for some people but if you just get through that threshold you'll find a solid game. I like the animation on the bosses myself but I know it looks different, that's why I like it. Good weapons, solid speed, the ship can be overpowered at times but fuck if you're not on your toes you'll slip soon enough. Not my favorite on the Neo but it's good.

I rather have a love/hate relationship with Strikers1945+, it's a great game on it's own but it doesn't really add to the already better forefathers. I like the bullet patterns though, they're different and they reminiscing of Strikers 1999 which makes sense, so maybe we could have seen an evolution of bullet patterns from psikyo in the future had they not gone down.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
Pulstar is great if you like R-Type, its pretty challenging as well, Last Resort and Blazing Star would have to be my favs, Never got a chance to play captain tomaday but looks fun as hell. Loved the Fighters games also. The hardest for me was Pulstar or Alpha Mission II.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
For me it's

Last Resort, because it feels really like a speedy R-Type. Also excellent level design.
and
Viewpoint for its awesome music, the isometric view, the almost simple looking graphics with great animations and the very hard difficulty.

Those two are on my top.

Behind those maybe Pulstar and Sonic Wings 2

2 Player, Simo.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Almost all SHMUPs on the Neo are great IMO. I really like Blazing Star and Aero Fighters (both), viewpoint, Ironclad, andro dunos, pulstar...OK, I like them all :). Strikers 1945+ is great, butfor me it has the problem of having infinite continues, that's not cool for me because it makes you lazy, there is not real incentive to improve your ability to play it. The hardest IMO is viewpoint.

Regards.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Almost all SHMUPs on the Neo are great IMO. I really like Blazing Star and Aero Fighters (both), viewpoint, Ironclad, andro dunos, pulstar...OK, I like them all :). Strikers 1945+ is great, butfor me it has the problem of having infinite continues, that's not cool for me because it makes you lazy, there is not real incentive to improve your ability to play it. The hardest IMO is viewpoint.

Regards.

That's not really much of an issue for me since I don't consider it "really" beating the game unless it's a 1 credit clear/no continues.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
That's not really much of an issue for me since I don't consider it "really" beating the game unless it's a 1 credit clear/no continues.

Wow man, that's pretty hardcore, I am not able to finish any Neo game with only one continue so far. I get close with Metal Slug 1 and maybe 2 but that's it.

Regards.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Wow man, that's pretty hardcore, I am not able to finish any Neo game with only one continue so far. I get close with Metal Slug 1 and maybe 2 but that's it.

Regards.

Well you can hardly credit-feed the shit out of a game, play it through to the end, and then claim that you "beat" it.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Well you can hardly credit-feed the shit out of a game, play it through to the end, and then claim that you "beat" it.

Right, that's one great thing about console shmup ports with a set limit on credits.

vinnieboy1

New Challenger
I have blazing star, strikers 1945 and prehistoric isle 2 these games are fun
Viewpoint is an ass-kicker, never the less still fun

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
Have always had a soft spot for ASOII. It was the first Neo Geo shmup I played, and hadn't actually had much exposure to shmups prior. Put a lot of quarters into it. Challenging as heck, but it was fun and, to me, pretty original. Still one of my favs in the Neo library.

tastysoil

New Challenger
I've always enjoyed Pulstar, Twinkle Star Sprites and Aero Fighters 2. They are all great for different reasons, so it's hard to nail down which one is my favorite.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Regards.

I am hard to the motherfuckin' core too.

Regards.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

You are absolutely right, that's why I prefer playing them in AES mode, there I get 4 continues no more, but even then it's not easy for me to finish them. I guess I have to play more in order to improve.

Regards.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I've been trying to 1cc Last Resort on Level 8 difficulty for the past few years. It's a kind of game that you get upset with, but I love the style of the game. From the intro, game play, art, music (original/not arrange version), and even the game over count down screen drive, it always calls me back to it.

One that I'm late to the party on is Prehistoric Isle 2 and Aero Fighters 2. I played Aero Fighters 3 first, but it seems that part 3 is a step backwards when compared to AF2. I've easily put in almost 2 hours into AF2 last week.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
To continue or not to continue, that is a heavy question. For some of us it's an easy answer, just simply say no, who cares what credits or stupid shit you got, just say no. Others, well, they just continue.

You are absolutely right, that's why I prefer playing them in AES mode, there I get 4 continues no more, but even then it's not easy for me to finish them. I guess I have to play more in order to improve.

Regards.

You do realize that if you have a memory card you can save your state and then you can start from where you left off with 4 more credits?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
To continue or not to continue, that is a heavy question. For some of us it's an easy answer, just simply say no, who cares what credits or stupid shit you got, just say no. Others, well, they just continue.

You do realize that if you have a memory card you can save your state and then you can start from where you left off with 4 more credits?

Yes, but that's not what I meant. I meant 4 continues from start to finish.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Generally, if I am trying to become more skilled at playing a particular game, I feed 1 credit into the machine, and that's it. There's nothing wrong with credit-feeding a game when you just want to see everything and play through the levels for fun, but I think it's hard to improve your play on any game if you're willing to credit-feed, or even use continues (in my opinion.) I think you play best when there's the pressure of having no safety net.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I pretty much always credit feed a game that I'm still learning, just because I enjoy seeing everything the first time I play (to get an initial impression of the full game). I credit fed my way through Gradius IV the first couples time just to see everything, it took forever, probably 100 credits or more. It's a great way to practice and see the game, but I would never consider myself to have beaten the game with that method. Eventually I did beat Gradius IV on 1 credit, took many, many failed runs though. Gradius III is even worse, it forces you to 1CC the game in order to beat it. No continues!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes, but that's not what I meant. I meant 4 continues from start to finish.

I got you from the start, which is why I said what I said. Once you continue it doesn't really matter how many times you do it. Of course as long as you are enjoying yourself who cares what you do. However, to continue simply means that you cannot simply get through that threshold and you're simply buying your way through it. Some games have a rank system, it all changes when you continue, so that point which gives you a hard time becomes null 'cause you simply continued and in turn reset any rank that you have built.

Don't delude yourself, continue is a choice, take it, leave it, that is what makes a difference in the caliber of gamer you want to be. By the way, there are no bad gamers or good gamers, we're all just gamers and there's no test or report card, it's just an internal thing, a self accomplishment level that varies from person to person.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
If you like shmups what you defenitely should do is pick up a Dreamcast and Ikaruga - it was the first Shmup of the month in the Arcade channel and hands down this is awesome. As for the Neo - sorry no clue yet. Pal of mine picked up Aero Fighters 2 - we'll check that out soon.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ikaruga is a great game, a great shump?...hhhmmmmnnn that's debatable. Some people right out hate it and spit on it, others love it and worship it. I fall in between, I understand the hate and the praise, just like with RSG, it's a different type of shump, good shump, not amazing oh my god my life has changed like Futari or Guwange but now we're just talking tated games, let's stick to Horis shall we?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I have Ikaruga (gamecube version) and Radiant Silvergun (Saturn) but haven't really given either much play yet. I'm still trying to 1CC Gradius V (also made by treasure) on very hard, and it's the last Gradius game I need to 1CC (not counting Salamander spin off series).

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I vote for twinkle star sprites with blazing star and strikers 1945+ right behind it

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Blazing Star and View Point are my two all time neo shooter faves (and both are on the 161 cart). I've never seen Twinkle Star on MVS, I have played it for Saturn.