What is the best SHMUP for the Neo-Geo. Also which one is the hardest to 1cc?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
The only ones I own are Last Resort and Andro Dunos. Both are pretty awesome and challenging, but are there any others I should consider?

I'd like to get Pulstar and Blazing Star at some point but the price point and seemingly ubiquitous counterfeiting of these games has me a bit learly.

Another one I like but do not have is Strikers 1945+, love that series and glad one of the made it to the Neo.

Are there any that I'm missing or should consider? Also, which games are the hardest to beat on 1 credit. I have yet to beat any of them yet.

Thanks!

Here's the ones I'm aware of...
Official releases:
Aerofighters 2
Aerofighters 3/Sonic Wings 3 (Japanese only)
Alpha Mission II
Andro Dunos
Blazing Star (Japanese release only)
Captain Tomaday (MVS only)
Ghost Pilots
Ironclad (Neo-CD only)
Last Resort
Prehistoric Isle 2 (MVS only)
Pulstar (Japanese release only)
Strikers 1945 Plus (MVS only)
Twinkle Star Sprites (Japanese only)
Viewpoint
Zed Blade (MVS-only)

Homebrew/Unofficial:
Fast Striker (NG Dev)
Last Hope (NG Dev)
Last Hope : Pink Bullets (NG Dev)
NEO XYX (NG Dev)
Razion (NG Dev, upcoming)

Hardest to 1CC:
Viewpoint (?)

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Both aero fighters games are very enjoyable too and not as pricey as blazing star or pulstar.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
chansub-global-emoticon-3a624954918104fe-19x27.png
Pulstar

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Racking up them posts. What the fuck have you people done? VT WTF?! God damn it, now we got all these bums asking shit questions they can easily find the answers to just about every where else there is to look.

Have you ever heard of god damn fucking MAME?! Use that fucking curiosity and find out on your own, most of the time you can't trust people's opinion, it sucks! Douchebags glorify games that are revered by the bandwagons of ignorant fucks, so you are much better off on your own.

If you insist in looking here, find threads, poll threads, top 5 threads, make the math and voila! There it is! Now good luck chasing whatever everyone else thinks it's cool.

If anything take my previous advice, find out on your own, you'll thank me for it when the thrill of finding something new all on your own runs down your spine.

dondi

Crazed MVS Addict
Last Resort (Old Skool evergreen) and Pulstar/Blazing Star are pretty cool games. When I think of View Point i'll get sick! The game is so f***ing hard. It took years until i had finished the game succesfully :/

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Douchebags glorify games that are revered by the bandwagons of ignorant fucks

Yes. Even more so, douchebags hate games that are despised by bandwagons of ignorant fucks.

OP, for real. Identify a firm sense of what you enjoy in a shooting game before you start spending money on games within the genre.

If you're a Neo Geo fan first, and a shooting game fan second, then you're probably going to pay a decent amount of money on a crop of marginally decent shooters.

If you're a shooting game fan first, and a Neo Geo fan second…I'd argue it's a rational decision not to bother with any of them.

People saying "X is da best" "Y ain't that good" in a thread like this most likely won't lead to an enlightening path for you...

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Yes. Even more so, douchebags hate games that are despised by bandwagons of ignorant fucks.

OP, for real. Identify a firm sense of what you enjoy in a shooting game before you start spending money on games within the genre.

If you're a Neo Geo fan first, and a shooting game fan second then you're probably going to pay a decent amount of money of a crop of marginally decent shooters.

If you're a shooting game first first, and a Neo Geo fans second…Just don't bother with any of them.

People saying "X is da best" "Y ain't that good" in a thread like this most likely won't lead to an enlightening path for you...

I've been a fan of the Neo-Geo since I first played it back in the arcades with Samurai Showdown. I was a huge fan of Street Fighter 2 back in those days and everyone was pumping out fighting games back then, which is how I discovered the Neo and SS.

Flash forward 20 years and now I'm not really into fighting games anymore (don't have anyone to play with) but there's something about the sprite work in Neo Geo games that even still to this day hasn't really been topped. That's why I'm interested in discovering more games (especially SHMUPs) for this platform. Some people might think they aren't the best in the genre, but I don't really care. I love the art style and music from this era of gaming (especially the Metal Slug series). Maybe it's fucking nostalgia from playing them in the arcades a long time ago, but I just can't get enough of these games.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Personally I dig Pulstar, reminds me of R-type. If I'm not mistaken, Aicom was made of guys that worked on the R-Type series.
Blazing star is good as well, alot more people gravitate towards that one.
Last Resort has some pretty rocking tunes and has a dark look to it. I still can't shake the feeling that some guys that worked on the Gunforce series hand something to do with this. The art style is almost a ghost of those games. Of course most know that the Gunforce guys went on to make up Nazca which is responsible for the Slug games.
Ghost Pilots isn't bad as well as being the closest you'll get to a 19-- type game on the Neo.
Strikers 1945+ is a oddball being a mix of S1945 I and part II.
You should check out emulation and really see which game you like as in the end you'll be the one playing it.

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Your list is missing:

Captain Tomaday (MVS-only) - charming concept with flawed execution
Prehistoric Isle 2 (MVS-only) - fun, well-made horizontal shmup from the folks who brought us Pulstar & Blazing Star
Zed Blade (MVS-only) - average horizontal shooter

and, arguably, Twinkle Star Sprites, which was previously mentioned in the thread, and is an amalgamation of a shoot-em-up and a vs. puzzle game.

Blazing Star and Strikers 1945 Plus are the shooters I enjoy most on the Neo Geo, but for me, Viewpoint is the end-all-be-all Neo shoot-em-up. It just perfectly encompasses the visual style, music, and difficulty I look for in a classic Neo Geo game.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Your list is missing:

Prime example. You seem like a cool guy and I'm not trying to call you out to be a jerk...

But what's average about Zed Blade? Is it due to the scenery milking mechanic which is found in only one other game I can name (P-47 Aces)?

Is it average because it's NMK's only foray into the Neo Geo (Yet still has Shinkiro art work)?

Is it average because it's Manabu Namiki's (Cave and Raizing fame) only composition on the Neo Geo?

For years Zed Blade had somewhat of a bad rep established (albeit a little less so today) because for years it's merits have been judged solely on vague criteria. I mean, it's not for everyone. If someone wants to objectively argue it's not very good in a mechanical sense, that's fine. But again, it's not fair to describe the game as "average".

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
There is Ironclad also

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Your list is missing:

Captain Tomaday (MVS-only) - charming concept with flawed execution
Prehistoric Isle 2 (MVS-only) - fun, well-made horizontal shmup from the folks who brought us Pulstar & Blazing Star

and, arguably, Twinkle Star Sprites, which was previously mentioned in the thread, and is an amalgamation of a shoot-em-up and a vs. puzzle game.

Blazing Star and Strikers 1945 Plus are the shooters I enjoy most on the Neo Geo, but for me, Viewpoint is the end-all-be-all Neo shoot-em-up. It just perfectly encompasses the visual style, music, and difficulty I look for in a classic Neo Geo game.

Thanks, I added those to the list.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
List is missing the NG Dev ones (Fast Striker, Last Hope: Pink Bullets, NEO XYX and the upcoming Razion). There's also the conversion of Ironclad (Edit: too slow to reply, someone mentioned that one).

Taste are very personal. Most people love Pulstar and Last Resort. I myself don't really dig 'em cause I don't like that style. For myself, Blazing Star, NEO XYX, Prehistoric Isle 2, Strikers 1945 PLUS and Twinkle Star Sprites would be my favorite ones.

But really, if I look at my shmup taste overall (not just Neo), TSS is really the stand out one for me. Loved that game on the Saturn, then on the DC. Was great when I was finally able to play the original version on MVS.

Still, to my eyes, best consoles for Shmups remains the Saturn, DC, PS2 and 360.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
This thread pops up from time to time, but i still stick to Blazing Star, it's just great.

Or if you want something really great (start flaming the torches) sell your MVS and buy a PGM to play Dodonpachi Bee Storm :lolz::lolz::lolz:

actionking

n00b
For me it's

Last Resort, because it feels really like a speedy R-Type. Also excellent level design.
and
Viewpoint for its awesome music, the isometric view, the almost simple looking graphics with great animations and the very hard difficulty.

Those two are on my top.

Behind those maybe Pulstar and Sonic Wings 2

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Prime example. You seem like a cool guy and I'm not trying to call you out to be a jerk...

But what's average about Zed Blade? Is due to the scenery milking mechanic which is found in only one other game I can name (P-47 Aces)?

Is it average because it's NMK's only foray into the Neo Geo (Yet still has Shinkiro art work)?

Is it average because it's Manabu Namiki's (Cave and Raizing fame's) only composition on the Neo Geo?

For years Zed Blade had somewhat of a bad rep established (albeit a little less so today) because for years it's merits have been judged solely on vague criteria. I mean, it's not for everyone. If someone wants to objectively argue it's not very good in a mechanical sense, that's fine. But again, it's not fair to describe the game as "average".

Keep in mind that I didn't write the game off completely. Calling a game on a platform with many quality shoot-em-ups average is practically a compliment. It's just never been one of my top choices for shmups on the format. For horizontal shooters, I'd much rather play Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Prehistoric Isle 2, or Viewpoint (hybrid horizontal orientation).

But I respect your opinion of the game and enthusiasm for it. I'm definitely going to give it another shot to win me over.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hardest to beat would be Viewpoint for me and forget one credit as you won't beat it with 10 or more. It's that tough, it will keep you busy for a long time.

As my favorites it all depends if you prefer horizontal or vertical.

Vertical Favs- Twinkle Star Sprites, Strikers 1945+, Aero Fighters 2
Horizontal Favs- Pulstar, Blazing Star, Prehistoric Isle 2

Favorite shmup I love to hate- Viewpoint, did I mention that it's a little difficult.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
But I respect your opinion of the game and enthusiasm for it. I'm definitely going to give it another shot to win me over.

It's not necessarily enthusiasm. Again, I don't think Neo Geo shooters are that great as a whole. It's simply sharing some details for a particular title which frequently gets overlooked. Threads like these don't accomplish much unless everyone is an expert, and everyone breaks down every facet of every game. Who wants to (or even can) do this? Dissecting games isn't an obligation of anyone on this forum. People just want to shoot the breeze and have fun, as they should.

These types of threads really only function as this : "I want to know what games are good, I'll tally up whatever gets the most name drops, and voila I'll know". But the titles that receive the most name drops may not necessarily meet the needs of the OP.

In this case, he doesn't seem to be critical, so I suppose it's appropriate for this thread to function as such.

Last edited: