Old Man
20 Year Member
Jon - forgive my ignorance but what is Chicago 1929?? :spock:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Jon - forgive my ignorance but what is Chicago 1929?? :spock:

It's an Atomiswave proto.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?240738-Is-the-AtomisWave-the-spiritual-successor-to-the-NeoGeo-PICS-ADDED!

His attempt to link the Atomiswave to Neo Geo as the "spiritual successor" in order to ramp up interest in his proto. Direct link to his pre-reveal using Post-its.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?240738-Is-the-AtomisWave-the-spiritual-successor-to-the-NeoGeo-PICS-ADDED!&p=3488174&viewfull=1#post3488174

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's an Atomiswave proto.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?240738-Is-the-AtomisWave-the-spiritual-successor-to-the-NeoGeo-PICS-ADDED!

His attempt to link the Atomiswave to Neo Geo as the "spiritual successor" in order to ramp up interest in his proto. Direct link to his pre-reveal using Post-its.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?240738-Is-the-AtomisWave-the-spiritual-successor-to-the-NeoGeo-PICS-ADDED!&p=3488174&viewfull=1#post3488174

Thanks. Looks almost as awful as WOTF to be honest.

lol, Atomiswave was as much a successor to MVS as the Xbox was to the Dreamcast.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
His attempt to link the Atomiswave to Neo Geo as the "spiritual successor" in order to ramp up interest in his proto.

A whopping 5 games for AW by SNK. Type X and beyond has more. Let me guess its not spiritual enough to be a successor? Or he considers Type X differences separate.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
A whopping 5 games for AW by SNK. Type X and beyond has more. Let me guess its not spiritual enough to be a successor? Or he considers Type X differences separate.

No. At least not until he has a Type X proto in his grubby hands. Then Type X will be the new Neo-Geo :rolleyes:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I cant take credit for this, the clip artists are the real heroes. Makes things super easy to protoify. I totally see why Data East used clipart, its such a time saver.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Also, for the record, had Data East made this title card, you can be damn sure they would have put their logo on it. Period.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
lol, Atomiswave was as much a successor to MVS as the Xbox was to the Dreamcast.

A whopping 5 games for AW by SNK. Type X and beyond has more.

For those of you here who don't change the subject or cause misdirection or focus on something unrelated,
I did some research, and here is what I found:

NeoGeo MVS hardware 1990-2004
Hyper NeoGeo 64 Hardware 1997-1999
Sammy Atomiswave Hardware 2003-2009
Taito type X hardware 2004-2014

Atomiswave (5 neogeo series games)
2004 King of Fighters Neowave
2005 Neo Geo Battle Coliseum
2005 Metal Slug 6
2005 Samurai Showdown 6
2005 King of Fighters XI

Taito type X (6 neogeo series games)
2007 KOF Maximum Impact Reg A
2008 King of Fighter's '98
2008 KOF Maximum Impact Reg A2
2008 Samurai Showdown: Edge of Destiny
2008 King of Fighter's XII
2011 King of Fighter's XIII

For anyone to say that after the retirement of the neogeo mvs hardware, that the neogeo series did not continue on the Atomiswave hardware, and then yes, granted, on the Taito X hardware AFTERWARDS, would be lying to themselves.

How can ANYONE here possibly make the argument otherwise?
If it was the terminology that I used: "spiritual successor", ok then, fine whatever, use another terminology then.
But the bottom line is, the games migrated to Sammy Atomiswave, and then to Taito type X.

Forget whatever reasons I may have had at the time for trying to enhance the appeal of the game, disagree in fact if you like with that,
but how can anybody possibly deny the above?!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Taito type X hardware 2004-2014

Taito type X (6 neogeo series games)
2007 KOF Maximum Impact Reg A
2008 King of Fighter's '98
2008 KOF Maximum Impact Reg A2
2008 Samurai Showdown: Edge of Destiny
2008 King of Fighter's XII
2011 King of Fighter's XIII

They forfilled a contract of 5 games with Sammy. They didn't make a contract with Taito.

You are also missing a few titles on X hardware as well.

KOF Skystage
The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
The King of Fighters XIII Climax

Current list of 3rd Party Developers:
Arc System Works
Atlus
Capcom
Namco Bandai Games (Bandai, Banpresto)
SNK Playmore
Square Enix
Takara Tomy

List of Taito NESiCAxLive Games:
http://nesica.net/playtitle/

NESiCAxLive runs on Type X2, X Zero, and X3 boards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The post-it note is the spiritual successor of the neo geo. XD

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
This does kind of go back to the question, though: Where is Xacrow and is he still in the scene/alive? I can imagine the dude dropping and all of his shit just being binned by his family not knowing what all of the unmarked carts and weird boxes of crap are. I was chatting about this with Raz a while ago, and my memory is a bit blurry over it all, but I think he was saying he believed Xacrow was an industry person and sort of kept things on the DL due to his beliefs and feelings about piracy/bootlegging/etc. Makes sense, as he did seem to want to document the games a lot, but never wanted to release the ROMs.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
It would make sense when measured against most of his limited actions over the years.

It's very possible that leaking particular things and information would give the people who IP law and these properties or games matter to an idea of who he is and leave him in a very precarious legal or professional position.

NT was a good example of this. For many reasons, Tony had little or nothing to worry about. He was sitting on a ton of stuff and as it got closer to the end, he released a lot of it.

It would make sense if Xacrow was involved at least somewhat in the inner workings of SNK or their game development cycle. Either he was relatively important or has something to lose by releasing the stuff. Would also fit with why he wouldn't give a shit about Billy, an AW proto or whatever else. He's not interested in trading protos or collecting more arcade crap. He's not a fan, he's a guy preserving his work.

Meh, it's a theory.. and a shitty one at that.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Meh, it's a theory.. and a shitty one at that.

A better theory than someone boasting about possibly working with SNK now as a freelancer.

There is a reason why when certain companies are mentioned here, I only refer to shit publicly released. NDAs from years ago can easily come back to bite you in the ass. Most ppl don't boast and as you said NT was in a different position. Tony and I use to share stories of NDA breakers in chat.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I agree with most of the comments above about Xacrow, except maybe for the documenting aspect; he stopped just short in that department. (SNK printed the product numbers on their packaging so providing them could not possibly have been controversial.

One other thing to keep in mind, 4 of his 8 neogeo protos have surfaced elsewhere and 2 of them already dumped in fact, so since 2005, half his one of a kinds are no longer that; what will happen in 10 more years?

Tacitus

Staff member
The guy isn't interested in dealing with you or anyone else for that matter. Continuing to campaign the way you do is not helping your cause.

It's clear that money and collector status on the internet do not matter to him

Tacitus

Staff member
I agree with most of the comments above about Xacrow, except maybe for the documenting aspect; he stopped just short in that department. (SNK printed the product numbers on their packaging so providing them could not possibly have been controversial.

One other thing to keep in mind, 4 of his 8 neogeo protos have surfaced elsewhere and 2 of them already dumped in fact, so since 2005, half his one of a kinds are no longer that; what will happen in 10 more years?

Have you dumped your Chicago 1929 and released it publicly yet? Why didn't you do so with your proto?