The Walking Dead TV series courtesy of AMC.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Watching things as they air is overrated. You miss some of the nuance in better-written shows that is easier to pick up on when you aren't waiting a week (or more, during the many mid-season hiatuses) between episodes. And in the case of X-Files, you could wait months in between episodes that moved the main plot forward.

I agree. I dont even have tv. I just download these episodes on my cell phone and watch them on the phone also while im laying in bed.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Watching things as they air is overrated. You miss some of the nuance in better-written shows that is easier to pick up on when you aren't waiting a week (or more, during the many mid-season hiatuses) between episodes. And in the case of X-Files, you could wait months in between episodes that moved the main plot forward.

Good point. I feel that way with a lot of shows. X-Files at least to me started to heat up even more around season 4 and 5. I remember really getting into the show during those seasons. I have the whole series queued up on my Netflix stream. I have been meaning to watch through it since I have missed episodes here and there over the years. Not to mention it has been a while since I have watch the show.

@Agent Sands: Seriously, try to watch it back to back now. I is worth watching in the long run. The first 2 seasons may be a little harder to get through, but picks up with 3 a bit and gets a lot better later.

Eric

Fight On!,
It's hard to judge what will happen based on only one episode, but right now it feels like they took a 6 episode season (like they had last year) and are going to stretch it out to fill the 13 episode order. Just nothing happening in that first episode (and how the hell does such a big group of zombies "sneak" up on them? Such a simple fix to that dumb plot hole if you just have Dale climb up the RV later and then see them right away)

Also there was so little character development over that hour and a half. Just the Dale with Andrea's gun scene. I might have forgiven it if they were spending time re-introducing the characters for people new to the show but they didn't even accomplish that.

I can understand that they want to invest more time in the characters rather than kill them off as fast as they seem to in the comic, but at least do something with them.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I enjoyed this last episode a bit more that the previous one.
The show still needs some improvement. I really don't care for most of the cast, but I'm not going to give up on it just yet.
Also, anybody else catch that Breaking Bad reference when Daryl was going through the bag of pills?

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I enjoyed this last episode a bit more that the previous one.
The show still needs some improvement. I really don't care for most of the cast, but I'm not going to give up on it just yet.
Also, anybody else catch that Breaking Bad reference when Daryl was going through the bag of pills?

That's not much of a reference... I guess. Whatever.

Anyways I liked this episode too, even though it swings wildly between boring and exciting.

I can't help but feel like the pacing on this show is way off. They spend too long doing things, like wandering the forest or talking about something. Each scene is like 20% too long. It seems to me that they only had enough material for less episodes than this season was planned for, and they're stretching it out.

So yeah. Flawed show, but fun.

Castor Troy

That's not much of a reference... I guess. Whatever.

Forgot to mention, while Daryl was going through the bag, he was naming off some of items. First one he mentioned was "Crystal". Maybe it was Heisenberg's formula that started the zombie outbreak. :o

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Forgot to mention, while Daryl was going through the bag, he was naming off some of items. First one he mentioned was "Crystal". Maybe it was Heisenberg's formula that started the zombie outbreak. :o

Damn you Heisenberg!

HeartlessNinny

Yeah, I remember. I just think of it as a minor nod to Breaking Bad rather than a super important reference or anything.

HeartlessNinny

Don't get me wrong. I recognize the reference and its significance, I just don't think it's a big deal.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Just caught up with yesterday's episode. This was a good one. Still a good amount of action. Still some odd moments where the walker completely sneaks up on Andrea. Not having a real good escape plan after gathering the medical supplies. I mostly like the new characters, the doc is solid. There are still oddities in the walker behavior though. Why is the high school so overrun, but immediately off the school grounds there aren't any walkers for miles? And the farm is still completely pristine? It doesn't look like they've had to fend off a single walker, I guess those wandering hordes just stick to the main roads. Especially interesting as possible evidence that the new group hasn't had to deal with many walkers is using a rifle to hunt while our main group has essentially banned firearms because of how they might attract more walkers.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I haven't seen the second episode of the season, yet, but just overall I'm liking American Horror Story more than the Walking Dead. Walking Dead has some amazing ideas and some ambitious set and plot choices, but the pacing and stupidity of the characters gets to me quickly. Characters are just not behaving correctly for the situation they're put in. They're not waiting for a ride at Disney World, this is a very harsh and unforgiving environment they've been thrust into and many times I feel they just gloss over it and forget what is going on.

OK, American Horror Story has some bad pacing issues as well, and I think Walking Dead keeps the tension up a lot higher, and arguably better... but I'm leaning towards AHS if I could only pick one of these. Thankfully, I'm not so busy right now that I have to ;)

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Totally agree on all of the comments about the pacing. The story is good but it just needs to be less drawn out overall. Maybe I'm getting my hopes up, but I'm expecting some good scenes in the next episode with everything going on but if it stays like episode 1 & 2 the whole way through, I could see losing interest. The mix of drama and zombie scenes was great in the last season, would like a return to that.

Castor Troy

I think the problem is that the group are supposed to head to to some army base (or something?), but they keep getting sidetracked along the way. Most of the characters are two dimensional as well. They don't seem like real people.
Right now, the only one showing promise is Daryl. His character seemed like your typical biker/racists stereotype, but has shown some character development. Everybody else.... ugh.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It makes you wonder why they don't just stick to the actual comics, storyline-wise. Sure you can make adjustments (like taking the dumb zombie-toting, kitana-wielding super woman out of it), but for the most part the comics is an example of amazing character development. What the hell are they trying to say with this story?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It makes you wonder why they don't just stick to the actual comics, storyline-wise. Sure you can make adjustments (like taking the dumb zombie-toting, kitana-wielding super woman out of it), but for the most part the comics is an example of amazing character development. What the hell are they trying to say with this story?

This.

I'm enjoying the second season quite a bit, and like it more than the first season so far. The pacing is more up my alley.

But this.

I'm guessing we won't see Tyrese or Michonne in this show. Or if we do, it won't be for a long time.

I'd miss Tyrese if they didn't add him in. Michonne, not so much.

Castor Troy

Yeah, I remember. I just think of it as a minor nod to Breaking Bad rather than a super important reference or anything.

Never claimed it was super important. But I thought it was pretty kewl that Heinsenberg's product made it out to Atlanta.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Never claimed it was super important. But I thought it was pretty kewl that Heinsenberg's product made it out to Atlanta.

You know, thedudeguy, we could totally hang out and drink beer and watch tv. It would be cool. No lonesage.

HeartlessNinny

Just caught up with yesterday's episode. This was a good one. Still a good amount of action. Still some odd moments where the walker completely sneaks up on Andrea. Not having a real good escape plan after gathering the medical supplies. I mostly like the new characters, the doc is solid. There are still oddities in the walker behavior though. Why is the high school so overrun, but immediately off the school grounds there aren't any walkers for miles? And the farm is still completely pristine? It doesn't look like they've had to fend off a single walker, I guess those wandering hordes just stick to the main roads. Especially interesting as possible evidence that the new group hasn't had to deal with many walkers is using a rifle to hunt while our main group has essentially banned firearms because of how they might attract more walkers.

You're so right. This is a fun show, but it's not what I'd call smart. They don't think things through, it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirkman was making up the new version of the story as he's going along. I think the people at the farm have a strange way of dealing with zombies, by the way, which is also kind of dumb and unrealistic. I won't say though because it's a fairly major spoiler (though I've remembered other elements of the comic wrong so far... hmm).

So I'm not the only one who thinks Michonne fucking sucks! Yes, yes. A thousand times yes.

Yeah... I didn't mean to sound like a dick about it by the way. Just kind of came out wrong.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

I don't know but they sure are taking along time to say it. Where the fuck is Mearl?!