The Walking Dead TV series courtesy of AMC.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Everyone is already infected.

I'm not talking about that. When somebody is bitten, it's not the bite that kills you, it's the infection. We know everybody is a carrier, but you can still be infected by zombies who bite you. That's why they amputate arms and legs and shit. I remember in the first season that black dude telling rick how his wife was bit, how she got a fever, and then came back. It's also a bad idea to be scratched, although I can't recall if they explicitly state that a scratch will turn you.

But the governor is boxing zombies in the face like he's in mike tysons punch out, and ripping heads in half with his bare hands. I don't recall him wearing gloves. Maybe he was. But if being bitten and/or scratched turns you, why wouldn't having your fists ripped into by zombie head shrapnel also pose a risk? Unless the special zombie super power lies solely within their teeth/claws.

I don't know. I'm real bad at doing other stuff while the show is on, so maybe I missed some vital information that makes my question seem stupid.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not talking about that. When somebody is bitten, it's not the bite that kills you, it's the infection. We know everybody is a carrier, but you can still be infected by zombies who bite you. That's why they amputate arms and legs and shit. I remember in the first season that black dude telling rick how his wife was bit, how she got a fever, and then came back. It's also a bad idea to be scratched, although I can't recall if they explicitly state that a scratch will turn you.

But the governor is boxing zombies in the face like he's in mike tysons punch out, and ripping heads in half with his bare hands. I don't recall him wearing gloves. Maybe he was. But if being bitten and/or scratched turns you, why wouldn't having your fists ripped into by zombie head shrapnel also pose a risk? Unless the special zombie super power lies solely within their teeth/claws.

I don't know. I'm real bad at doing other stuff while the show is on, so maybe I missed some vital information that makes my question seem stupid.

Herschel has been walking around without a leg. How'd he lose that leg? Did it really need to be cut off?

Tyreese Witherspoon went Thor crazy all over a mass of zombies and only turned crazy.

I think the times of people turning into a zombie from a nibble are a thing of season 1.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Why does he have to be one of those two extremes? The current Rick is an emotional mess, an ineffectual leader until pushed way to the end. He's shown flashes of brilliance as a character and was interesting without always running and gunning all the time. Now though, he's just avoiding everything until he can't.

You are wrong to say he is inneectual as a leader because he isn't the only one leading right now. There is a committee that is making decisions together, and they all chose to give him some time off from calling the shots.

He started valuing life and world building. He sort of became like Herschel, wanting to farm and create life rather than carry a gun around and slaughter things in his path.

They all saw he needed a break after Lori, and Judith isn't that much older to suggest that much time has passed at all. They all understand why he was taking it easy and they all agreed it was the right thing to do.

I don't see the problem. All I see is him not doing what you want him to do.

Hey, there's zombies on the wall and they're getting pretty thick. Sould we maybe do more than put up some door stops? Oh hey look, peapods!

Hey uh, you gotta tell Daryl you kicked his Activia spokewoman out of the camp. But first... *Fred Schneider voice* You better fix butterbeans!

I get what they are doing with the character, it's just more frustrating than interesting, when we've seen prior flashes of brilliance.

If you really got what they were doing with the character though, you'd understand why this is the best writing Rick's seen from the show in a long time.

And it's only more frustrating to you. It's quite interesting to me.

Everyone wants Rick to be the way they want him to be and when he finally gets some depth and dimensions added to him beyond arguing with everyone and going crazy, they want to complain.

Let Rick be Rick and just enjoy it. He's the best he's ever been. In fact, I'd argue that what they're doing with him right now is more interesting than anything they've done with him in the comic in years.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
You are wrong to say he is inneectual as a leader because he isn't the only one leading right now. There is a committee that is making decisions together, and they all chose to give him some time off from calling the shots.

They all saw he needed a break after Lori, and Judith isn't that much older to suggest that much time has passed at all. They all understand why he was taking it easy and they all agreed it was the right thing to do.

I don't see the problem. All I see is him not doing what you want him to do.

And yet we have whole scenes dedicated to the "Dont Tell Rick!" storylines.

Let Rick be Rick and just enjoy it.

I'll enjoy it when Rick is being Rick again.

On a different tangent, I really hope we see Carol come back sooner than later, give some time for Tyrese to be able to not go into full on rage mode and kill her.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
And yet we have whole scenes dedicated to the "Dont Tell Rick!" storylines.

It's all a part of the character's current angle. The 'don't tell Rick' stuff is because the narrative is contributing to his arc and the people around him want him to find his way to wherever it is he's going.

It's all perfectly fine storytelling and it only serves to make the character better and multidimensional. It's not just your cup of tea. And that's cool.

I'll enjoy it when Rick is being Rick again.

He's being Rick. Probably now more than ever, he's being as much of the guy he was before the world fell apart. It's a whole lot better and more interesting than him just pointing his magnum at people, getting all wide eyed and nodding way too many times as he tells people what's up.

Oh and arguing with Lori and Carl. Because that was when Rick was at his frustrating worst on the show.

Phyeir

It's not just your cup of tea. And that's cool.

Very true. I get that you need a mix of characters but I prefer the cold hard logic characters. He'll come back around.

My biggest issue on the writing is (and this may be just due to the lack of time they can give the other characters) but I don't like how heavily they still wrote in their fearing of the wrath of Rick on decisions that are made if they are also giving him time off. To me it feels like having a manager on your office go on a personal time sebatical, yet having them being able to be called and have an impact on decisions at the office. As we've both gone though, it's a personal taste thing, but I don't like it.

I'd prefer they show Rick have his journey and elevate some of the other characters around him (which we had briefly with Carol before she was sent away). Bit of a missed opportunity on what they could have done.

Spoiler:
At least it's really picking back up with the Gov. That last ep was the best one of the seasons, maybe the best since S2 through now

Oh and arguing with Lori and Carl. Because that was when Rick was at his frustrating worst on the show.

I'll give you that one.

Though I do miss the constant "Who let Carl out the doggie door again!" segments. That little rapscallion.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Yeah that part was fucking stupid. Punching someone in the jaw can tear skin but here he is punching a hole into a walkers skull. Then again they basically bathe walker blood on a daily basis so its all pretty fucked up at this point.

I remember reading S.D. Perry's Resident Evil Caliban Cove. In that book, somebody got infected by touching some blood and not washing their hands. I think the person rubbed their eye or something and that's all it took.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah that part was fucking stupid. Punching someone in the jaw can tear skin but here he is punching a hole into a walkers skull. Then again they basically bathe walker blood on a daily basis so its all pretty fucked up at this point.

I remember reading S.D. Perry's Resident Evil Caliban Cove. In that book, somebody got infected by touching some blood and not washing their hands. I think the person rubbed their eye or something and that's all it took.

You had infected people coughing blood on Herschel's face last week. The skin is a breathing organ and that blood had to get through to him.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah thats what I'm talking about. They are super careless yet nobody gets sick.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You had infected people coughing blood on Herschel's face last week. The skin is a breathing organ and that blood had to get through to him.

Good point.

The writers are inconsistent and lazy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
every time Herschel appears on screen, they should constantly switch his peg leg from left to right

He doesn't even limp anymore. He fought walkers on the ground level, then hopped up to the second level and jumped a rail to wrastle a biter on the wire mesh.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
For a rebreather that was lodged in a biter's gob, which he didn't even sterilize before jabbing using with Glen.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And another thing- you have to shoot them in the head? How do the muscles get oxygenated? If the heart isn't pumping blood, how are muscles not suffering rigor mortis? How are muscles even getting the orders to move? Bluetooth?

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
For a rebreather that was lodged in a biter's gob, which he didn't even sterilize before jabbing using with Glen.

Ive seen quite a few people say something about this, but if you pay attention he did change the tube before inserting the new one into Glenn. I even had to go back and watch it on DVR a few times because it bothered me at first too.

O.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ive seen quite a few people say something about this, but if you pay attention he did change the tube before inserting the new one into Glenn. I even had to go back and watch it on DVR a few times because it bothered me at first too.

O.

I did catch that part, but still - it's not like the air in the tube was sanitary. There were zombie particles in it.

Right?!

Phyeir

I don't know why I should care, but this comment made me sad.

It's like I failed to entertain you.

Amicable discussions reaching a mutual but differed conclusion have no place on the internet, let alone NG.com :P

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
R.I.P. to a few characters tonight. Fuck waiting till February.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I guess a walker ate the baby...heavy shit.

Not much of a li'l ass kicker, was she?
On a positive note: I don't have to hear the term "li'l ass kicker" on that show or anywhere else again.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
A prison episode that actually did something, very nice change for once.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I guess a walker ate the baby...heavy shit.

Not much of a li'l ass kicker, was she?
On a positive note: I don't have to hear the term "li'l ass kicker" on that show or anywhere else again.

I don't think she will be dead. Did anyone watch Talking Dead? Herschel was almost crying, Maggie was almost crying, and Chris was misty eyed. I think it hit Chris fairly hard with his dad dying a couple weeks ago. Carl should lead now. Rick is ineffective. And Bob should get drunk and go back to slangin' rock in the towers.;)