The official Legendary Pictures GODZILLA 3D reboot thread (5.16.14)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
In the spirit of this thread, I just amazoned the Godzilla Collection dvd box, which fills in most of the Showa movies I didn't yet own. $25 for 7 movies across 8 dvds is a pretty great deal, and couple of them, I haven't seen in decades. It will be my fourth copy of the first movie, but still more than worth it to get the others.

Forgot to mention I bought this package years ago and loved it. Having widescreen and both the dubbed and subbed versions are a great option. I really liked it, it's just too bad they couldn't secure the rights to all the other Godzilla movies, and from what I recall, they never will. Oh well, you take what you can...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The one great thing about the upcoming movie is that you know they will pull out all the stops trying to cut through whatever rights issues there are to bring the other movies to dvd/BD to coincide with the new movie's release. Studios LOVE doing that as it means almost free money to them.

I will also be really interested to see what kind of Godzilla merchandise gets released domestically at the time of the movie.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Wow, the casting is looking pretty legit...

juliettebinoche-godzilla-combo-tsr.jpg

I've been having a good feeling about this 2014 effort, ever since the uproar last summer over at Comic-Con... but NOW, I am 110% excited... Godzilla will be bigger than ever in the US. The timing is right... the stars are aligning... this could be a trilogy of hits in the making... if not more. Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves, but so far, so good. I think it will be a well made and well reviewed film.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/juliette-binoche-to-join-gareth-edwards-new-godzilla-at-legendary/

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So I got the Godzilla Collection dvd set and have watched a couple movies so far.

The first I watched was Terror of Mechagodzilla. I don't know if I've ever watched this. If I did, I was too young to remember. This one gets disparaged a lot by people for killing the series in the 1970s, not being as good as G vs MG before it, not having as good effects, whatever else. So I'd never even bothered with it as an adult. Fuck whoever said all that. Terror of Mechagodzilla was AWESOME. Okay, the Titanosaurus was a terrible design and maybe the least convincing monster suit of the series. But everything else was excellent. Story was good, characters were good, monster fights were good. The story kept moving, and you can't say that about every Godzilla movie. And the effects team went bananas with the pyrotechnics. There's one scene where Mechagodzilla is blasting the city with his lasers. Then he switches to finger rockets, and WHOOOOOM, those fuckers nearly blew up the entire soundstage. You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off, you maniacs. Great stuff.

The dvd also had a documentary about the women of the Toho monster movies. It was interesting. Nice historical stuff if you are into this. Especially nice that they went beyond Godzilla to the other Toho monster stuff of the era. There is also a commentary track on the English version of the movie, which I haven't watched yet. Which brings me to one of the nice things about the dvd set. They don't just have 2 language tracks over the same movie, they actually have the two versions of each movie as they were released. The Japanese original, and the inevitably edited international version that ran in US theaters.

The dvd menus are also cool, being a nice mash-up collage of vintage movie posters of the film in question.

The next one I watched was Godzilla vs Mothra, which I remember liking more. It is good, and I do like the characters, but for some reason, once the bad human characters get theirs, a lot of the movie's momentum leaves. Yet the movie goes on a lot longer. The effects are really good for the time, especially all the stuff dealing with the tiny twin fairies. Sure you can notice some of the rotoscoping halos, but the editing is really clever and the oversized furniture is very convincing. Godzilla looks really great in this movie, too. It's the mid-'60s suit you remember, but before he became friendly to children. There's some real menace in his eyes, which is great. The army tries some stuff you just have to shake your head at, but then you remember this movie was still early in the series and they didn't know any better yet.

This movie had a documentary of composer Akira Ifukube, and this one was very comprehensive. Covered his entire life. Liked it a lot.

Next up to watch will probably be vs. Ghidorah. Although the one I am really looking forward to now is Astro Monster.

And continuing my Godzilla binge, I just ordered the Biolante blu-ray. Can't wait to watch my first HD Godzilla movie. And you can't beat $7. They're practically giving them away.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just watched Godzilla vs. Biollante on blu-ray. WOW.

Easily the best of all the Heisei movies. Story was coherent (which is by no means guaranteed in the Heisei series), characters were good (I didn't know the Miki character started in this movie, I thought her first appearance was Vs. Mechagodzilla), monster was great, all that good stuff. But what sets it above is that it was REALLY well shot. Some of the compositions and framing are fucking worlds above the other movies. It had half the budget of Godzilla 1985, but it's all up on the screen. The effects are great for the time and inventive for the budget. And some of the cityscape miniatures are ridiculously expansive.

And holy shit, did it look good on BD. Best $7 I have spent in years. I'm probably going to rewatch this one very soon.

Seriously, I think this one is in my top-3 with the original and GMK.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
^ I gotta check that out.

In other news... HOLY SHIT! Godzilla 2014, on paper, so far, is looking LEGIT

---

BURBANK, CA, March 18, 2013 – Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today the final principal cast for the upcoming tent pole “Godzilla.” Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, and Juliette Binoche are starring in the film, with David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston.

The companies also announced that principal photography began today on location in Vancouver.

Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callaham. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher are serving as executive producers alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, “Godzilla” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. Legendary Pictures is a division of Legendary Entertainment.

Slated to open on May 16, 2014, the film is expected to be presented in 3D.

---

Ken Watanabe joins, along with David Strathairn! Two kick-ass mature, no-nonsense serious actors. It is giving me extra faith that the script must be pretty awesome if they're going to attach their names to it.

ALSO... it was up briefly but quickly taken down... it's either a hoax, misinformation or Legendary requested the info to be pulled but...

securedownload7_zps1eb1e0e2.jpg

Holy crap. If Freeman is in as well, that is a seriously "non-campy" and professionally studded cast.

Getting more and more excited. Godzilla could be "big" again, pardon the pun. I think at the very least, the enterprise will garner a lot of new younger fans. I'm pumped to see what this movie will do to the Godzilla legacy going forward. I also smell an American trilogy....

Steve

The Wonder Years,
403007_556656781031397_1713763425_n.jpg

Shit just got even more real. Akira has a cameo in Godzilla 2014, and will now be in Godzilla's 1st film, 10th anniversary, 20th, 50th and 60th. Crazy. Any doubts that Edwards wasn't the right man for the job should now officially be thrown out the window. The 1998 sour taste is quickly dissipating with each passing week that we hear more good news about Godzilla 2014.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Shit just got even more real. Akira has a cameo in Godzilla 2014, and will now be in Godzilla's 1st film, 10th anniversary, 20th, 50th and 60th. Crazy. Any doubts that Edwards wasn't the right man for the job should now officially be thrown out the window. The 1998 sour taste is quickly dissipating with each passing week that we hear more good news about Godzilla 2014.
You are really setting yourself up for the heartache of the new millennium if this thing doesn't end up being great. I know you want to believe, but be careful, man.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Just watched Godzilla vs. Biollante on blu-ray. WOW.

Easily the best of all the Heisei movies. Story was coherent (which is by no means guaranteed in the Heisei series), characters were good (I didn't know the Miki character started in this movie, I thought her first appearance was Vs. Mechagodzilla), monster was great, all that good stuff. But what sets it above is that it was REALLY well shot. Some of the compositions and framing are fucking worlds above the other movies. It had half the budget of Godzilla 1985, but it's all up on the screen. The effects are great for the time and inventive for the budget. And some of the cityscape miniatures are ridiculously expansive.

And holy shit, did it look good on BD. Best $7 I have spent in years. I'm probably going to rewatch this one very soon.

Seriously, I think this one is in my top-3 with the original and GMK.

Did you get the same feeling that Biollante was severely under-used? It seems like they could have taken him/her/it out and it wouldn't have been missed. Other than that, I agree that it's easily one of the best entries the series has seen. Some of the effects shots and miniature work is dynamite.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't know. I just loved everything about that movie. I have to be honest and say I used to be kind of dismissive of the Heisei era. Because it didn't have the Showa charm, and because Millennium series did "updated/more realistic" better. But Biollante changed my opinion around completely and gave me a whole new appreciation for that whole continuity.

What's amazing to me, though, and kind of disappointing is that the Biollante director came back to do the immediate sequel, vs. King Ghidorah. But I don't think that one is anywhere near as good. Visually, I don't even think it's a fraction as good. What happened? Different DP? Different effects director?

Last edited:

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I need to view 'vs. King Ghidorah' again and see how it compares. It's been a long time since I have watched it. I totally forgot I had an HD rip of it that I snagged off of Cinemageddon a while back, along with the rest of the Heisei films.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
King Ghidorah is fun but silly as fuck. A lot of the Heisei movies contain cheap rip-offs of Hollywood movies. Like Vs. Mothra features a completely embarrassing Indiana Jones rip-off. And Vs. Destroya pauses the story to do some weird kind of Aliens rip-off in the middle of the movie. And with Vs. King Ghidorah, the embarrassing rip-off du jour is Terminator 2. Except the time travel aspect makes NO SENSE, not even internally.

People come back from the future to the present saying they want to help get rid of Godzilla. So they enlist the modern day Japanese government. Fine. So far, so good. So they go back in time to WW2 and find the dinosaur that would eventually be irradiated and mutate into GOdzilla and they teleport him somewhere else so he can never become Godzilla. FINE. But then they return to the present and people here still have all their memories of Godzilla. They are like, "Did you get rid of him?" "Yes!" "Good! We've just confirmed, Godzilla never existed now!" Huh? Then how the FUCK do you know what Godzilla is? I mean, the people who did not go on the mission to the past, who stayed in the present, still kept all their memories of Godzilla and his rampages, despite him now never having existed and the cities never having been trampled. Screenwriter deserves a throat punch.

Still a fun movie, but what the shit?

Lan Di

War Room Troll

Don't screw this up dude. The Matthew Broderick flick was a disaster.

Fucking cheap-ass fire breathing iguana, gimme a break. :annoyed:

Bring on the MAN IN SUIT (or a believable CGI based of the man in suit) with the atomic breath!
godzilla-tokyo-sos-495px.png

:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This is the oddest hype thread. Getting excited about a Godzilla movie coming out over a year from now.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

Nope that sour taste is still there, getting Akira to cameo at this time feels like straight pandering, "see I got Akira to cameo so see I'm so cereal about making a good movie guys!!!! Smiley face"

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Funny thing I recently learned. One of my co-workers is going to be in the new Godzilla movie. He was also in the last US Godzilla movie.

Reason he was in the old one and this new one coming up is because they needed his helicopter and his piloting skills.

My co-worker collects helicopters and they wanted to use one of his rarer pieces. I believe it's supposed to be one of, if not the largest helicopters ever produced. Also, he and his buddy are the only ones around that can still pilot one.

Later this year, he's going to go to Hawaii for about 2 weeks to film some scenes there.

A few weeks ago, he showed me the little bits of the old movie where he was on camera.

Thought that was kinda cool.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Have they said how their going to handle Godzilla himself? Will they use motion capture to give the illusion of a guy in a costume or will they go the full CG route. I'd love to see them go for another costume but since everything has to "appeal to a wider audience" of course their going to go with CG.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They're filming over here right now for Godzilla. Saw the production crew and everything, at first I actually thought it was Hawaii Five-O.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I have not been this amped up for a movie... ever. Easily the single biggest movie event of my life, and it's not even close. I can't believe in 10 short months from now my childhood icon will be roaring into theatres the world over and taking it by STORM.

It will be a box office smash hit. Book it.

Last edited: