The official Legendary Pictures GODZILLA 3D reboot thread (5.16.14)

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I liked the movie a lot, but it was flawed.
The main character was boring and the Godzilla fight scenes were cut off so many times, it got annoying the last two times.
Still, it was a good ride. It reminded me of the Showa-era Godzilla.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Taiso pretty much summed up my thoughts about the film. It was a mixed bag for me. The humans were not only boring, but quite thick if you ask me.

My favorite scene of dumbfuckery was when the humans were transporting some nuclear warheads via train. As they were about to go into a tunnel, they spot a huge explosion over a hill followed by gunfire. Mind you by this point in the film it is known these monsters are near the area and could very well be over that hill. The commander on duty stops the train and radios to the advancing force asking "Is everything alright". In response he hears a barrage of screams, gunfire, and mayhem. He seems confused as to what this audio means and once again asks if the track ahead is clear. Once more he hears the same kind of screams and gunfire. The commander is still perplexed.

Now this should be a red flag. They know these monsters are in the area. They see explosions and hear screams and gunfire over the radio. But what do they do? They send a squad of men ahead to check and see if everything is alright. And of course it all goes to shit and things get worse. It's just one of the examples of how brain dead the humans were.

I didn't hate the movie, but I certainly didn't love it.

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Yeah, the movie had flaws, but the bottom line is it served its purpose... it reintroduced Godzilla to the consciousness of the average movie going American (the one that sees 8-12 movies a year in the theatre), and has established the groundwork for a sequel/trilogy/franchise, American style.

I expect the sequel to be better with more polish and a stronger script. And more Godzilla (fighting/destruction)

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Saw this yesterday and I was happy with the movie. It was disappointing that Cranston was only in a small bit of the movie. I didn't mind the focus on the humans, but it probably would have been more effective if Ford's actor was better. Ford's wife on the on the other hand, was pretty good. I liked the final battle and monster designs. I think Godzilla was effectively shown as a force of nature. I liked the movie and look forward to any sequels. Though this movie did not need to be in 3D whatsoever.

Does anyone remember any Godzilla movies in the past where he has been a good guy towards humans? In most of the Godzilla movies I remember seeing (1984, 2000, Mothra) he is trying to destroy cities, the humans are trying to stop him, or if he ends up helping the humans, he is not doing it consciously. For instance, in 2000, Godzilla does kill the alien monster, but then proceeds to torch the city after he does; he doesn't give a shit about the monster or the humans. I found it unusual that this movie made him out to be a good guy. Not saying its bad a bad thing, but I always thought of him as a bad guy who doesn't give a shit about anything. Still a good movie overall though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Honest answer: no

The movie was converted to 3D after the fact and it's mostly distracting.

There are scenes of people running in front of the action all the time, and the 3D element of it frustrates and distracts. Also, the POV scenes, like when characters are looking through binoculars or goggles, are distracting because they limit the view and the shadow effects in the middle and to the sides are irritating. It also suffers too much from the 'dark screen' symptom that many afterconverted 3D movies suffer.

There have only been two movies that I have ever seen in 3D where the 3D added to the experience or were effectively used.

Gravity

After seeing Godzilla in 3D, that list remains at those two movies. The ideal solution would be an IMAX version that ISN'T 3D, but I don't know if such an option exists.

That is my honest answer.

I don't get what?

Bad character development? Uninteresting human elements? Wasted actor talent?

Godzilla movies don't get to be 'just good enough to please Godzilla nerds.' They can be put under the same scrutiny as any other escapist cinema, and can succeed or fail by the same standards.

Tangled was really amazing with that candle scene of all the boxes going in the air.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Tangled was really amazing with that candle scene of all the boxes going in the air.

I'm not sure if you're saying this with irony because it's Disney, because you don't care about 3D or if you're being completely serious. I'll comment as though completely serious:)

Was that scene something that naturally worked better with 3D? Did it feel like a natural part of the movie's presentation to immerse you in a 3D sort of way? Or did they just decide to make a neat scene into 3D to wow the audience?

And does the movie's 3D work the entire way through? Or is it merely situational?

The 3D effects in Avatar are to make you feel like you're on an alien planet. It adds to visceral aspect of being somewhere else in the universe. I'm not talking about the quality of the movie itself, mind you, but solely the 3D elements. Cameron did a spectacular job on the technical aspects of the film (as one would expect), and that extends to the 3D.

Gravity is the same way. It's the type of movie where the 3D adds to the overall experience of being in space all along when all that garbage in orbit is flying your way. The screen is so large that, combined with the 3D elements of all that space junk hurtling towards you while you're helpless to avoid it, it really captures the vastness of space and makes you feel so small and caught up in its grandeur like everything else (even the Earth.)