The Official Halo 3: ODST roll call thread.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hey guys, the Vidmaster Challenge: Classic achievement CAN NOT be earned if a passenger in any one of your vehicles fires weapons.

The easiest level to get this achievement, I think, is on Uplift Reserve.

Anyway I tried twice using the Warthog, and beat the level without ever firing any of my weapons, but I let my gunner rip loose. Unfortunately that counts as firing, if you're in the vehicle when he does it, which is annoying.

But on my third try I figured out what to do, and it's actually even easier than using a Warthog with gunner. I figured having a gunner would be preferable to the faster ghost, but I was wrong :emb:

Easy way to get the achievement:

Grab the Warthog on the hill with no passengers, and then just start driving. You'll have to dodge choppers, a ghost, and two wraiths. You might die a lot but eventually you'll figure which side to dodge them on and get a good route.

When you come up on the first ghost you can take, take it, then just start boosting!

On the part where you have to go up a hill with a bunch of turrets to your right, you can hang left, but generally you're too fast for them so they don't do much damage.

Likewise the area that composes the "LOST PLATOON" firefight level is pretty easy, just boost past everything. The Wraith gunners will hit you, but you shouldn't take much damage. Don't forget to stop boosting in order to make a sharp turn.

After that the only part of any worry is when you're coming up a hill and you'll deal with a couple more turrets, but just boost past them to the part with the big landing pad where the marines are entrenched. There is a healthpack down there, grab it if you need it.

From that point on it's easy and you can really just turbo boost past everything with no worries at all.

You could try to beat it in a warthog by yourself, but I think the 'hog is too slow.

Should take less than 10 minutes to beat the entire level doing it like that.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
LOL I just beat that level on NORMAL using the method described above...didn't need to grab the health pack and it took like 5 minutes. I had the SKULL turned on where enemies "always evade" so that's another achievement for me.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
There's a youtube vid that shows real easy how to get the Vidmaster: Classic achievement.

In about an hour I'll be logging on (Ghost-Dog should be as well) is anyone interested in trying to get either of the other two achieves (beat last level with Iron on and nobody in 'hogs or tanks -or- complete 4 sets on Heroic in firefight)?

I'm not going to toot my own horn, but I am competent at the game so you should be too (probably beaten it on Heroic at least) if we're even going to try.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Vidmaster: Classic is pretty easy.

I wonder if Mombasa Streets counts as a level for purposes of that achievement.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I talked to a guy I know who is pretty beastly at Halo and ODST who said the 5 Set Heroic Firefight achievement is best done on the ONI site, as others in this thread have suggested.

I just spent the night getting a couple more 200,000 point achievements in firefight mode.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Dammit no one was on last night to play. I did get Chasm Ten cleared last night. It was easier than I thought it would be.

I still need:

Last Exit
Windward
Alpha Site
Security Zone
Rally Point

I also need the three Vidmasters, Be Like Marty, and the one for killing/not killing Engineers.

So let's get the all star boys together and get this done!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
this game died about as quickly as i thought it would.

I am willing to play anytime man. Sean has my number, tell him to text me if I'm not online. I still have quite a few of the firefight achievements to get, and I'm always willing to help out on the ones I already have.

We need to do this shit quick before Borderlands comes out.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'll be busy studying for the next couple days for a big test on Wednesday but after that I'm down for Fire Fight any time. I only have two of the achievements. If you message me and I don't respond its probably my girlfriend watching something on Netflix.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
this game died about as quickly as i thought it would.

I'm still up for games.

It's just a combination of A) me not gaming as much as I used to and B) you made me buy a PS3 with all your Demon's Souls talk and that game is great and I'm playing it every chance I get now.

I should give you my number.

Certainly an easier way to set games up than checking the forums or hoping to see if you're online or not.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
I'm still up for games.

It's just a combination of A) me not gaming as much as I used to and B) you made me buy a PS3 with all your Demon's Souls talk and that game is great and I'm playing it every chance I get now.

I should give you my number.

Certainly an easier way to set games up than checking the forums or hoping to see if you're online or not.

for sure pm it to me

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I'll be finally picking this up this afternoon, so if anyone wants to do some online or help each other with achievements, I'm down. Tag is in the sig.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Hey guys, the Vidmaster Challenge: Classic achievement CAN NOT be earned if a passenger in any one of your vehicles fires weapons.

Sorry Duf, but this isn't true. I got the achievement last weekend and had two AI partners in the Warthog with me. I gave one of them my Spartan Laser and the other was of course on the turret. Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the triggers while driving the Warthog? I think thats what counts, not your partners shooting.

I tried to finish in a Ghost but I kept getting nailed by those two Wraiths in the "Lost Platoon" area. Plus there was a chopper over there and it would hit me sometimes too. I ended up taking the Warthog that was sitting there with two Marines and somehow made it past that gauntlet. But I know they were shooting the entire time and the turret blew up or killed a bunch of things.

This achievement really isn't that hard, I think I died about 15 times total while getting it, took maybe 30 minutes tops. The Vidmaster achievement for four player Heroic Firefight is the only one in the game that is very hard. The other Vidmaster would be hard if they didn't give you rocket launchers with 998 rockets in them.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sorry Duf, but this isn't true. I got the achievement last weekend and had two AI partners in the Warthog with me. I gave one of them my Spartan Laser and the other was of course on the turret. Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the triggers while driving the Warthog? I think thats what counts, not your partners shooting.

I tried to finish in a Ghost but I kept getting nailed by those two Wraiths in the "Lost Platoon" area. Plus there was a chopper over there and it would hit me sometimes too. I ended up taking the Warthog that was sitting there with two Marines and somehow made it past that gauntlet. But I know they were shooting the entire time and the turret blew up or killed a bunch of things.

This achievement really isn't that hard, I think I died about 15 times total while getting it, took maybe 30 minutes tops. The Vidmaster achievement for four player Heroic Firefight is the only one in the game that is very hard. The other Vidmaster would be hard if they didn't give you rocket launchers with 998 rockets in them.

I don't know why I couldn't get the achievement in the warthog.

Unless honking the horn by hitting right trigger didn't allow me to get it. In which case the achievement is broken. It couldn't have been from hitting Left trigger because that is how you boost in both the ghost and chopper. It's also how you brake the warthog.

Are you telling me you got the achievement but never braked once while driving the warthog? That's practically the key for turning on a dime in the 'hog.

Plus I boosted the hell out of the Ghost.

Getting past the two wraiths in the Lost Platoon area is tough - you just have to be really flying along really fast in a ghost. You have to be a full health, but there are health packs in the lost platoon area by where the laser spawns in firefight.

It is an easy achievement for sure. The third time I did it (on the ghost) it took me less than 10 minutes.

With regard to the other vidmaster it's still balls hard even with the rocket launchers. Fortunately you can get on ghosts. The rockets should come in very helpful on the last portion of the level.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
You can press left trigger on the ghost apparently.

Honking the horn, for me, is habit from Halo 3 multiplayer.

Sorry to turn down the game request last night, I was actually only jumping on and off so quick that late just to look up the achievements in ODST, and I did happen to look at your Gamertag for said purpose when the request came in! - :emb:.

I'm damn well itching for some FF, though, it's been way too long since I got to play some rounds of it!