The Official Halo 3: ODST roll call thread.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Who else is down for this?

Bungie has a new vidoc up for your perusal HERE.

Firefight mode is looking amazing. I dug Horde mode in Gears 2, but this looks like a lot more fun. Bigger battlefields too. I am also hoping this will revive the Halo 3 multiplayer among my friends a bit. I'm tired of playing with randoms all the time. It's a pretty good deal if you don't have Halo 3 anymore, or you're missing some of the paid map packs.

September 22nd. :drool:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Pre-ordered.

If my interest in H3 multiplayer isn't renewed then I imagine i'll at least be up for playing Firefight as I had a blast with Hordes in Gears 2.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
I pre-ordered it but I dont know when it comes out.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
dont know when it comes out.

Look up!

I'm getting it.

Was trying to not buy games anymore but my buddy is busting my balls to get it.

Think the game looks great but was trying to stop buying new games for a while.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
REALLY..........:spock::spock::spock::spock:

midnight release and no posts???????:scratch:

wtf

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Awwww yeah...let's do this.

Gonna start off with a technical question: Any reason the campaign and MP are on separate discs? I had a theory that maybe you can install the campaign no problem, but should leave the MP disc uninstalled ala H3 to prevent any sort of lag that might occur. Any ideas? I don't really check the Bungie forums, so if any of you lugs do and know the deal, drop that knowledge here.

XBL handle: VoodooPeople

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Loopz,

Install the campaign/firefight disc.

Do not install the Halo 3 multiplayer disc.

That's straight from Bungie.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Gamespot gave the game 9.0/10.

I will be picking it up later today.

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have been playing since around 1am. Firefight is awesome. Playing the campaign, right now.

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
Just beat the game on 2-player co-op. Fantastic. Best Halo since the first, if you ask me.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I did not go to the midnight release, because I work M-F normal office hours. I wouldn't have been able to play it unless I called in sick, and I am trying to save up all the PDO's I can.

Anyway, I'm getting too old for that midnight shit. :emb:

I'll pick the game up on my lunch break today. I can't wait.. I've purposefully avoided reviews and writeups of the game everywhere. I want to go into it fresh. I will probably be working on campaign first, and then I'll be down for Firefight after that.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
me too, did not want to use my pto either,
I m a mon-fri myself, so I wont be back until 5pm mst/pst

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Did the midnight thing, didn't post because I was uh...actually playing the game?

Logged about 3.5 hours worth into it, solo on Heroic so its taking a bit longer, and I am exploring every square inch of New Mombasa as the Rookie. I'm really digging it so far, but I can tell I'm going to be letdown by the overall length already.

9/10 is ridiculous, the game loses a full point for being overpriced already in my eyes.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I'll be rocking it tonight with my ODST controller for sure.

So overall, I'm wondering if it's shorter than Halo 3? It would suck if that were the case. I already had Halo 3 with all the map packs, so that doesn't really add to the value at all for me. Single player ODST + Firefight mode had better be worth the $60 admission fee.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
It's a tough call. I for one didn't own H3 anymore, so having the full H3 MP experience now, plus the new campaign, it felt worth it to me. I suppose you can just sell/trade your old H3 to help ease the cost of it.

On the positive side...New Mombasa is really fucking sweet. The atmosphere when you first start exploring the city as The Rookie is really, really cool, especially with the subdued score. A lot more tension than Halo usually packs, since generally it's just about a very loud, declamatory piece of music and some big 'ol firefight. I'm sure there will be plenty of that...but the fact you have to sneak around to survive is really welcome.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I'll be rocking it tonight with my ODST controller for sure.

So overall, I'm wondering if it's shorter than Halo 3? It would suck if that were the case. I already had Halo 3 with all the map packs, so that doesn't really add to the value at all for me. Single player ODST + Firefight mode had better be worth the $60 admission fee.
Its shorter, basically every review confirms it; which is why they (and likely Bungie) recommend playing on Heroic. You'll die a few times, and the battles will take longer, sort of artificially extending the experience.

However, I have to say its been really fun thus far. Especially with the 'weaker' ODST characters. You really feel like you're in danger almost 100% of the time in a battle. I really wish they would've spent another few months on this game and fleshed it out more. The stealthier Rookie portion is so fun to play.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
A lot more tension than Halo usually packs, since generally it's just about a very loud, declamatory piece of music and some big 'ol firefight. I'm sure there will be plenty of that...but the fact you have to sneak around to survive is really welcome.

This makes me wish for a game featuring the Spartan-III's.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Its shorter, basically every review confirms it; which is why they (and likely Bungie) recommend playing on Heroic. You'll die a few times, and the battles will take longer, sort of artificially extending the experience.

However, I have to say its been really fun thus far. Especially with the 'weaker' ODST characters. You really feel like you're in danger almost 100% of the time in a battle. I really wish they would've spent another few months on this game and fleshed it out more. The stealthier Rookie portion is so fun to play.

Damn...I might stop and actually restart the campaign on Heroic then. Thanks for the heads up.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
My wife surprise,picked it up for me today..

cid__0922091414-00.jpg

Pre-ordered
Gamestop threw two envelopes in the bag with it..I guess the code to play as the Sargent

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bungie recommended Heroic difficulty for Halo 3 solo as well.

I for one am still enthused about Halo 3 multiplayer, so the new maps included on the MP disc are more than welcome for me.

I do feel just adding the H3 multiplayer is a bit of a cop out, and the value significantly decreases if you have every single map pack already like I do.

But my guess is that they didn't want to develop an ODST multiplayer mode that would rival the popularity of Halo 3 and thus split the community.

I'm really excited about Firefight as I love playing Halo cooperatively. I always thought that was one of the series strengths - It was damn fun in co-op.

Gamespot has been pimping ODST hard, but I don't know that they take money to give better reviews (re: Kane and Lynch). They certainly must take money to hype games before release though.

Well, i'm about to go get this.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
If anyone ever wants to do some Firefight let me know. I played a couple rounds with my friend last night and its really fun.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
got it!its my first Halo since Halo 2.been enjoying the campaign so far,still must try firefight or any multiplayer match...good value for money in my case since i´m completely new to Halo 3.