The Monster Hunter Tri meetup thread!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
This finally comes out next Tuesday.

I believe USB keyboard support was confirmed, so if you don't want to use a Wii Speak it's probably no biggie.

Who is on board? Make sure and post your character info here when you have your copy!

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
really shouldn't but im gonna have to pick this up tuesday. ive already had the game itself pre-ordered but i dont have a wii. i might trade in some of my unplayed ps3 games to help out.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Anyone tried the demo?

It's basically two seperate hunts. Both were fairly easy. The graphics are amazing for the Wii though.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Hmmm... There's a good chance I'll give this one a go too.

I don't have Wii Speak though, and hooking up a USB keyboard will be pretty much impossibly awkward with my setup (my TV and console are a loooong way from my couch). But you guys probably don't want to hear me blather on anyway... :)

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
i put in close to 3000 total hours on the original Monster Hunter for PS2. i'm used to typing out on a keyboard since that's what they had for communication. i think it works fine. plus i hope you can turn the wii speak off because i dont want to hear little kids being dumb when i just want to go on a random quest for the same materials.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'll be on! I've got the bundle with CC Pro pre-ordered. I've also got Wii Speak. If you don't have Wii Speak or can't use a keyboard, there's an on-screen keyboard if you have to use it.

Question. Does anyone know if I have Wii Speak and the other players in my group don't, will they still be able to hear my voice when using it? Or will I have to use a keyboard as well?

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
i put in close to 3000 total hours on the original Monster Hunter for PS2. i'm used to typing out on a keyboard since that's what they had for communication. i think it works fine. plus i hope you can turn the wii speak off because i dont want to hear little kids being dumb when i just want to go on a random quest for the same materials.

3000 hours? How is that even possible? That's 125 days. Seriously... How would you even have time for that.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
It's in stores today!

I know I will be on at least a few hours tonight, likely after 8PM EST. Everyone make sure to post your character info here so we can meet up.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Looking forward to getting this with the new classic controller. Does it come out today or does it ship today?

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Looking forward to getting this with the new classic controller. Does it come out today or does it ship today?

It's in stores today, I just grabbed my copy. Now I get to stare at it for 4 more hours till I can go home and play. :(

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I'm still on the fence about this. I've nothing but great things about the Monster Hunter series, and really want to give this a try, but all I keep reading about is how hard it is. I've been told it's almost Demon's Souls hard. I may pick it up in a bit. I'm still trying to decide.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Yes, the game is difficult. The higher end wyverns and elder dragons will 1-hit KO you if you aren't geared right. And while you can play the game solo, it's really about the co-op aspect. 2 to 4 player teams working together to take down massive bosses.

The game takes practice. You need to know the best way to use your weapon of choice (of which there are many). You need to know the weaknesses of the enemy you are facing and exploit them. Each enemy has an elemental weakness. They have weak points on their body. They give tells as to what they're going to do next. They have special attacks that can be avoided if you are good at dodging/rolling.

It's not an action game that you pick up and do ultra combos with right off the bat. It's an investment of sorts. There are no levels to grind out, but a big portion of the game is hunting down materials to build better armor and weapons. In the end, you really need to experience it for yourself, but I highly recommend doing ALL the weapon training tutorials. Play it with others. If you try to solo everything, you will likely get frustrated and quit.

It's an excellent franchise, but like a deep fighter, you have to invest time in learning the game to see a payoff.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
My ID is DD9ZAZ if you want to search for me online. Character name: Magrim.

Last edited:

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
Went online a little bit. I can't figure out if my WiiSpeak is working or not. It shows the mic icon, but seems no one can hear me. Guess I'll have to buy a USB extension cable to use a keyboard with this...

I'll reply back with my Hunter ID once I get back on and find it.

Name: Kaioh
ID: FL8WWP (I assume those were W's.)

I'll add everyone else that posts theirs.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Picked the game up yesterday along with wii speak and a classic controller pro.Though i just started i'm trying to figure out how the controlls work etc.When i get to the point for that multiplayer things will picked up for me then.

Update

tron72
ID HB4VNL

Any body that wants to team up with me on MG3 Tri feel free to do so. Oh and i do have wii speak btw i do not have a,usb kb for the wii though :p

Last edited:

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
3000 hours? How is that even possible? That's 125 days. Seriously... How would you even have time for that.

it was a time i didn't have a job and it lasted a while. it might have been closer to 2500 hours, but it was pretty bad. 3000 hours sounds like a lot.

i forgot my ID, but my male hunters name is Enoch. i'll have to post my ID later.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Sunk a few hours into this last night. It's a slow burn, but after a a bit I got into it. Here's my stats. Add me and we'll get some games going.

Name: Jedah
ID: JDPQGN

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Sunk a few hours into this last night. It's a slow burn, but after a a bit I got into it. Here's my stats. Add me and we'll get some games going.

Name: Jedah
ID: JDPQGN

I got a late start tonight, so I hope to be on a bit earlier tomorrow.

I need to grab a wireless keyboard I guess, not too many people using Wii Speak.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I've got WiiSpeak. But according to Capcom, Nintendo made them require that people have to be on your friends list to use it. Nintendo is scared of somebody calling a little kid a cunt or something... Seems pointless for Capcom of America to reduce the lobbies from 10 to 4 people on count of WiiSpeak if no one can use it with random people.

So, if anyone else has WiiSpeak, I'd like to try it with you to see if this thing even works!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I got a late start tonight, so I hope to be on a bit earlier tomorrow.

I need to grab a wireless keyboard I guess, not too many people using Wii Speak.

No problem, I got a bit of a late start as well. Got a friend I've been doing some questing with, but a third would be nice for some of the more challenging quests.

I like the fact that any USB keyboard work. That's great. Problem is my spare keyboard is a old Mac keyboard with about a 2" cord. :crying:

BTW: Who's idea was it to only allow you to send a friends request to a person only if they are online. I tried sending requests to everyone, but Ghost Dog was the only one I could add because he was online. Weird.

I've got WiiSpeak. But according to Capcom, Nintendo made them require that people have to be on your friends list to use it. Nintendo is scared of somebody calling a little kid a cunt or something... Seems pointless for Capcom of America to reduce the lobbies from 10 to 4 people on count of WiiSpeak if no one can use it with random people.

So, if anyone else has WiiSpeak, I'd like to try it with you to see if this thing even works!

I'll have to pick one up. I've seen them go for super cheap most places.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Got the game last night with the pro controller bundle. Loving it so far. Did the beginner stuff and then 4 or 5 quests. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys online. I'll have to figure out what my online info is.

If enough people here play regularly and it looks like it will be worth the $20, I'll pick up wii speak. But with the friend only limitation, I'm going with the usb keyboard for now.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I'm going to head on for a bit if anyone wants to meet up.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
BTW: Who's idea was it to only allow you to send a friends request to a person only if they are online. I tried sending requests to everyone, but Ghost Dog was the only one I could add because he was online. Weird.

That's strange. According to a moderator on the official Capcom forums, you can send friend request to anyone even if they aren't online. Here's what was asked and the reply:

Baber: Bastion, I must ask...can you only add a person to your friend's list if they are online at the exact moment you are?

Bastion (moderator): Baber, not at all. You just send your friend a message (with the friend request option turned on) and when they get it they can accept it.

Hmmm...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Picked the game up yesterday along with wii speak and a classic controller pro.Though i just started i'm trying to figure out how the controlls work etc.When i get to the point for that multiplayer things will picked up for me then.

Update

tron72
ID HB4VNL

Any body that wants to team up with me on MG3 Tri feel free to do so. Oh and i do have wii speak btw i do not have a,usb kb for the wii though :p

Fixed!