Starfield

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I have tested this game first time this week. Generally the RPG it's not style of game I regulary play, but this one is just amazing and beautiful.
For me, it's a mix of Deus EX Mankind Divided inside 'recent' No Man's Sky. It's fun.
Now, I just need wait a better Intel driver for continue playing without one random crash :LOL:

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The main story in this is so much better than in Fallout 4.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Now, I just need wait a better Intel driver for continue playing without one random crash :LOL:

ARC or integrated? They are doing rapid driver updates to ARC. Hoping they get it more stable. I almost went with an ARC on my new build due to the price gouging of the other cards.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m going to put a spoiler tag but I don’t think it’s necessarily a spoiler but read at your own risk. It’s about the main story.

Spoiler:
So the game basically feels like Bethesda’s take on Mass Effect

I have like 50 hours in the game now. Surprisingly I’m more interested in story progression and select side quests than I am in building outposts. It’s just kind of a hassle and I’m not sure what benefits I can get from them yet (besides early game money and XP farm.) Probably some late game stuff, but we’ll see when I get there.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also, I got really dope Spacesuit on a quest that is partially a love letter to NASA.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
ARC or integrated? They are doing pretty rapid driver updates to ARC? Hoping they get it more stable. I almost went with an ARC on my new build due to the price gouging of the other cards.

Intel ARC A770 16GB
I have find one in Europe for less than 360€ :giggle:

Very good graphics card, quiet and powerful. I have a problem with this game only. Issue still here with recent driver, but no problem with other games like Hitman. And for software, this GC is just... 🍆

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I beat the main story after maybe 50 hours.

Interesting ending.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I have tested this game first time this week. Generally the RPG it's not style of game I regulary play, but this one is just amazing and beautiful.
For me, it's a mix of Deus EX Mankind Divided inside 'recent' No Man's Sky. It's fun.

new Intel driver 31.0.101.4885

FIXED ISSUES:
- Starfield* (DX12) may experience sporadic instability in some areas of the game.

It's not finish for this game, other issues still exist.
I will test again this game later, I'm on Cyberpunk 2077 now :love:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
raph is the new umiami80.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The individual quest lines are really pretty good. I've "beat" the game twice now, though the second play through I didn't do any quests.

Third time around I'm exploring some quest lines I didn't do in my first play through. Currently doing the UC Vanguard story and after that I think I'm going to do the Crimson Fleet storyline.

Anyone else finish the main storyline yet?

I wonder if we're going to get a House Var'uun DLC?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been enjoying this game a lot. The various quest lines themselves are lengthy and pretty good.

Just finished the vanguard storyline and am doing the Crimson fleet storyline at the moment.

I haven’t really touched outpost building as it seems to serve no purpose other than for fun and I guess to make money.

Only real money sink is in ships it seems.

I want one of those giant UC ships lol.

I wonder if it’s possible to destroy the UC Vigilance or better yet, comandeer it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think this game needs a DLC that takes place after the the conclusion of the main story and concerns some of its mysteries.

Much like Fallout 3’s first (excellent) expansion.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
DATE: October 9, 2023
DRIVER VERSION: 31.0.101.4887 Non-WHQL

Game performance improvements for Starfield (DX12)
- Up to 117% uplift at 1080p with Ultra settings
- Up to 149% uplift at 1440p with High settings

It's time to play the game properly now, I have finish Cybergoob 2077.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I am! Every time I go back to it with the intention of cleansing my soul and my SSD I go damn well I might as well do that dumb quest.

Didn't think I'd fall for Bethesda in space but here I am.

Makes for a nice break between bad Souls-likes.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Anyone still playing?

On NG+ run 5 now. Huge fucking Class C ship. About 2.3 million creds in hand. Weapons that one shot kill anything under lvl 60.

Is it Skyrim in space? Not quite. It's lazy compared to Skyrim.

The "dungeons" are exactly the same. "Abandoned Mine/Cyro Lab/etc" on one planet are exactly the same on others, down to the miner's corpses, down to the misc slates you pick up. Some of the loot crates are "random" but that's about it.

Unlike getting new shouts in Skyrim, every temple to get a new power is EXACTLY THE SAME. God forbid you actually want to get the useless powers up to level 10...

I still like Starfield more than Fallout 4, but I'm not sure why.

I will say I hated building outposts in FO4, and Preston's bullshit "ermahgerd settlement need yo help". Fuck off, Preston. I do like outposts in Starfield. I even have my own Foxbat farm on Schrodinger III for luxury textiles. Love those fuckin' critters.

Oh, and I have no idea why, but I never experienced any of the performance or quest bugs at launch that were widely discussed online until the update patches were forced on me. Game ran perfect on my PC until it was patched now I'm restarting the game every 1-2 hours and dealing with slowdown regularly.

It's a great game overall. I just jump around systems hoping to come across more and more derelict ships. Those have been my favorite. There's one that parodies Heaven's Gate, another that pays homage to Alien, and one that's downright fucking creepy (you'll know it when you hail the ship). Even better, when I come across the big chonkin' Galbank ships to pirate for massive credits. But if Skyrim is a 10/10 game, Starfield is an 8/10.

Good lord, did I really just type all of this? Time to uninstall Starfield.

EDIT: Overall, it has made me want to do another run of The Outer Worlds. Hopefully Obsidian can crank out a TOW2 to rival Starfield. TOW was a lot smaller but felt more fleshed out.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oof on those Steam reviews.

I’ve been playing Baldur’s Gate 3 and man it’s just such a damn good game.
Blows Starfield out of the water and I actually enjoyed my time with Starfield.

Reminds of of playing The Witcher 3 after I played Fallout 4 (ie playing a shit game after a great game.)

Bethesda has some great world building but their formula has become a bit stale and from a gameplay perspective I think we need something new. Starfield had cool storylines but the whole thing wasn’t very cohesive. Maybe I’m just tired of these sandbox RPGs?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Starfield had cool storylines but the whole thing wasn’t very cohesive. Maybe I’m just tired of these sandbox RPGs?

You're not wrong, but it's not you, it's Bethesda. They leaned into the whole procedural generation schtick too hard instead of sticking to their tried-and-true world building. Procedural gen could've worked out well for Starfield but it was obvious they didn't put much effort into it.