Starfield

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Is this Skyrim in Space?
Will they make new versions for the next 15 years?

Time to find out if I have the ability to play this kind of game again.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Is this Skyrim in Space?

Skyrim was something else. None of their other games got that sort of treatment.

I'm passing on this first round regardless. I don't have an xbox and I just got done going through totk.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m more excited to play Baldur’s Gate 3 when it launches on PS5 in a few days if I’m honest, but I do want to play Starfields - I like the open RPGs that Bethesda made a lot. I’m currently replaying Oblivion actually.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
BG3 is a bigger install, but you can finish the game in 2 weeks. Tons of replay tho.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I still haven't touched any of my DLC for The Outer Worlds yet.
It looks more entertaining too, Starfield appears more boring & realistic.
I honestly would have gotten it by now, it's been in my feed for 4+ years now.
Hopefully they've learned a lesson from past releases and others as well and put together a polished mostly finished game.

Now that Obsidian and Bethesda are both owned by Microsoft (now basically the same company) I bet anything one of these space Skyrim titles will have to go. Especially considering turn around time and production costs these days.

The Outer Worlds 2 should be almost finished by now.
It'll probably be shelved for 6-18 otherwise you're just cannibalizing yourself. Whenever Starfields popularity starts to slightly fade,

They kept the team together through making the original, the DLC and now the sequel, almost 8 years (maybe going on 9 by release day) Could have made another Fallout or sent assets to help start making Elder Scrolls 6. I guess they did save 6-18 months by keeping the team together and keeping the magic flowing.

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Phantom Liberty should be dropping any-day now too.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is this Skyrim in Space?

I’m hoping Starfield will be Skyrim meets Mass Effect with all the fun building they added in Fallout 4.

I was very disappointed with Fallout 4, its story was atrocious and overall I found the game boring.

I’m hoping Bethesda reels me back in with Starfield.

I’ll be playing via gamepass because I’m not convinced to spend $70.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m hoping Starfield will be Skyrim meets Mass Effect with all the fun building they added in Fallout 4.

I was very disappointed with Fallout 4, its story was atrocious and overall I found the game boring.

I’m hoping Bethesda reels me back in with Starfield.

I’ll be playing via gamepass because I’m not convinced to spend $70.

From the reviews, it sounds like it’s a step back from Skyrim or Fallout 4 sadly. Although still fun to play through the 60 hour-ish main campaign.

Biggest gripe seems to be they removed the maps from station planets which makes finding the correct seller/vendor a memory game. Wtf.

I’m all for immersion but make it a toggle option ffs.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I’ve put in about five hours so far and I’m liking it. It’s reminding me of Fallout much more than Skyrim and I prefer the Elder Scrolls series but love both. So far I think the combat system is a downgrade from Fallout though. As far as world building, immersion and in game lore it is hitting the right notes. I see some parallels to The Expanse and they are taking on space in a way that feels like it has a basis in reality/physics. The game itself seems very polished, much more refined than the sort of clunkiness we have seen in past titles. It sucks this pulled the team away from TES6 for so long but I love seeing a new IP from Bethesda and Mass Effect fans will be right at home. To me this is the biggest release of 2023 and I was hesitant to expect much after the Fallout 76 debacle.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve put in about five hours so far and I’m liking it. It’s reminding me of Fallout much more than Skyrim and I prefer the Elder Scrolls series but love both. So far I think the combat system is a downgrade from Fallout though. As far as world building, immersion and in game lore it is hitting the right notes. I see some parallels to The Expanse and they are taking on space in a way that feels like it has a basis in reality/physics. The game itself seems very polished, much more refined than the sort of clunkiness we have seen in past titles. It sucks this pulled the team away from TES6 for so long but I love seeing a new IP from Bethesda and Mass Effect fans will be right at home. To me this is the biggest release of 2023 and I was hesitant to expect much after the Fallout 76 debacle.

Did you like the combat in Fallout 4? I felt it was serviceable but not very good. Then again the combat in Oblivion and Skyrim also left a lot to be desired.

I’m really interested to see if I like the base/outpost and starship building.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
You got the premier edition?
Special edition on CDKeys w/ 25% off, so basically normal price of regular edition.

Did you like the combat in Fallout 4? I felt it was serviceable but not very good. Then again the combat in Oblivion and Skyrim also left a lot to be desired.

I’m really interested to see if I like the base/outpost and starship building.
It took some getting used to, but overall I liked it. It had more of an RTS feel with VATS that resonated with me.

If you liked outposts in Fallout 4 you’ll probably like it here.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fallout 4’s overall structure of “pick a faction” and complete their storyline felt really lazy to me - that was my main gripe - the story was just…not great. Fallout 3’s was much better.

I think I played The Witcher 3 around the same time also and the storytelling in that just completely blew the pants off Fallout 4. Sometimes having the freedom to do whatever you want can be overrated.

Good to hear about outposts. I think I’ll have fun with Starfield so long as the story isn’t completely brain dead.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Combat feels a bit better than Fallout. It’s closer to an FPS, where’s fallout always felt some tacked on shit (although it’s not bad in F076.)

Only played for an hour or so but liking what I see so far. Game looks really good.

Story has been a bit hokey so far but I’m not yet far in.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
scifi elder scrolls

Duh, its bethesda.

Ive played about 2 hours in and its...ok, I guess? I never got into No Mans Sky or the other one that was like it for 'infinite space' games. It just seems exhausting, so I dunno. Plus my PC runs it on meh settings so it doesn't look pretty, it looks kinda blurry.

Evidently its strongly encouraged to play it from an SSD, and this seems to be a requirement. I had it on my 2nd drive which is a mechanical one and there was SO much damn stuttering. Moved it to my main HDD which is an SSD and the stuttering is gone.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I am really a sucker for exploration and, for better or worse, scanning shit.

I loved scanning shit in Metroid prime lol. I liked it in Mass Effect also. I doubt I’ll 100% this game because that does seem exhausting. I’m gonna play a few more hours tonight and see what I’m feeling about it. I just saved at the first populated City (New Atlantis.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m hoping to encounter a main story mission that will essentially be a tutorial for base building/outposts.

Quite a few systems in the game I’ve only scratched the surface of.

Played a couple more hours and had a lot of fun. I progressed main story and then went to the next system in the story and just decided to fuck around on some rocky planets.

I like how they’ve done the planets - reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 1 (when you could go down to random planets) but minus that stupid car. There is usually one or two thing to explore and often a space pirate base to fight.

Fighting in low grav with the boost pack is fun. Too bad the game isn’t 60FPS or a bit more fluid.

Seems like when you scan all the resources/fauna on a planet you get a resource survey card which sells for a lot of credits.

Space combat is serviceable but lacks, at least for me, the sensation that the ship is actually moving. Im sure that’s what space is really like, but often it just feels like you’re a stationary turret even though you do need to be moving, etc.

I’ve found a good amount of side activities but skipped most of them lol. I don’t have time for fetch quests where I’m not killing space pirates.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I am really a sucker for exploration and, for better or worse, scanning shit.

I loved scanning shit in Metroid prime lol. I liked it in Mass Effect also. I doubt I’ll 100% this game because that does seem exhausting. I’m gonna play a few more hours tonight and see what I’m feeling about it. I just saved at the first populated City (New Atlantis.)
Scanning is fun, simple as. The lack of a functional map for cities is outrageous though. I don't really like the scope of the game either. I would've much preferred focus within a single star system that has a denser amount of stuff to do on less planets and in less space. As it is, I've found little reason to stray from the main cities/landing areas and even less reason to be in my ship except to fast travel.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
It's seems like markers, checkpoints, and maps are missing or broken in these Bethesda/Obsidian games for awhile now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Scanning is fun, simple as. The lack of a functional map for cities is outrageous though. I don't really like the scope of the game either. I would've much preferred focus within a single star system that has a denser amount of stuff to do on less planets and in less space. As it is, I've found little reason to stray from the main cities/landing areas and even less reason to be in my ship except to fast travel.

Accessing the map is also a pain best way I found to do it is LB (scan) then RB. Like the back button should just pull up the map.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I have about 6 hours of game time, and I'll agree the map aspect is a bit confusing. There does seem to be a lack of proper tutorial or documentation for a lot of stuff. I know I skipped the ship tutorial by using a few brain cells and that apparently considered me an expert. Interface is typical Bethesda. Terrible.

I'm not sure what was the point of having cups and spoons and paperweights as lootable items. It only took me a few hours to get tired of sifting through useless junk to find 1 digikey. If I don't see a giant yellow box, I'm probably not going to search that room. I know I'll be missing notes and memo's, and I'm fine with that.

I'm finding the sense of adventure to be the lowest of any Bethesda game. The random stuff is there, but it is so spread out that you have to go out of your way to find it. Running 1000m from point to point is beyond dull, and a jetpack doesnt make it any better. I tried to get lost in some side quests, but I'm hitting a lot of roadblocks. Apparently I just need to stick to the main quest line for now. So far I'd rather be playing Cyberpunk 2077. The theme of Constellation as a sciFi explorers club seems good. We will see.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I agree about the desolation. On one hand I respect it for being how it would be, but on the other hand it’s…boring.

It’s cool when you get to what is effectively a dungeon, but some of the points of interest are just lame like storm craters, meteor strikes, etc but are necessary for the scanning survey report.

Is there an outpost tutorial?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The Mantis dungeon has been my favorite so far, super worth it.

No tutorial for outposts you just have to bring up the scanner and start building on a planet.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Mantis dungeon has been my favorite so far, super worth it.

No tutorial for outposts you just have to bring up the scanner and start building on a planet.

Any reason I should pick one planet over another to build an outpost?