SSRPG English Translation (!)

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Sweet Jesus, this is like a dream come true. I've trudged trough this game in Japanese long enough!

Fighter123

Banned
Deuce said:
The particulars will be something I'll have to work out when the translation is actually completed. For technical reasons, I'll have to rebuild the ISO when all is said and done.

When things get closer to completion, I'll likely see about getting some CD/CDZ owners here to try it out on a real system. As is, I'm working on getting system/combat text done first, as it'll be the trickiest (virtually every string has to be a specific length). The only story text that's completed so far is the Ukyo's chapter-1 intro... which is what stuff you've seen in the screenshots is from.

And yes, I will be editing the battle menus to something more legible to non-Japanese speakers... most likely icons, since I can't use real text on those tiny menu items.

If you need a beta tester I can help out.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Good news...

The combat bugs have been ironed out.

snap0000.gif
snap0003.gif

Image4.gif

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
You can easily patch the CDZ protection problem on just about all games. Also the regular protection. Ask Fakk2 about it, he knows a lot about this. Just everyone don't go bother the crap out of him though.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
SNKNostalgia said:
You can easily patch the CDZ protection problem on just about all games. Also the regular protection. Ask Fakk2 about it, he knows a lot about this. Just everyone don't go bother the crap out of him though.

its easy, if you know how that is. netaxe did it too, but i wont be trying anything like that. any idea on how long it might be till we get a finished game duece? also will the shizumaru mini rpg also be english, and the start up menu and loading screen and such?

Deuce

I can't really give an estimate for a completion date. The startup menus will all be translated, though. Not sure about the loading screen. I needto find an easy way of editing the Neo's FIX graphics, or it's going to take a much, much longer time than I'd like (as all of the special moves and items in combat are done in those files).

The Shizumaru minichapter will be translated as well. No worries.

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Bottom line, it'll take as long as it takes...considering the superb examples we've been shown I doubt anyone here's going to rush your progress unnecessarily. Thanks for keeping us updated.

E=MC2

Kazuki Dash said:
Bottom line, it'll take as long as it takes...considering the superb examples we've been shown I doubt anyone here's going to rush your progress unnecessarily. Thanks for keeping us updated.

it sure will, but i cant wait to try it out man.

Fighter123

Banned
Kazuki Dash said:

Same here.

If you guys are good at something like this, what about if you port some Neo-Geo games onto the CD system?

Blazing Star anyone?

But yeah get SSRPG translated. :)

Angel

Morden's Lackey
ok ok, so let me see if i have this straight. I have a regular top loader. So if i buy SSRPG, I would have to copy it and along with a patch, burn it to CD, there's nothing that can be done to the original copy of SSRPG to get it in english?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Angel said:
ok ok, so let me see if i have this straight. I have a regular top loader. So if i buy SSRPG, I would have to copy it and along with a patch, burn it to CD, there's nothing that can be done to the original copy of SSRPG to get it in english?

Atleast you won't have to worry about the CDZ system protection with the toploader model. Also, alot of games made later on just have CDZ protection and not regular ingame protection. I guess they figured in Japan not many people would hold on to their toploaders once the CDZ were out for a year or two.

SSS

neo retired
Angel said:

it comes with a bad ass sticker though. If new that is...

Tsubaki

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This news is rad

I used to play it in Nihongo on my Saturn. My kanji skills only go so far. How fuckin' sweet would it be? Put it on a disc and let me pop it into some machine!

E=MC2

Deuce said:
I can't really give an estimate for a completion date. The startup menus will all be translated, though. Not sure about the loading screen. I needto find an easy way of editing the Neo's FIX graphics, or it's going to take a much, much longer time than I'd like (as all of the special moves and items in combat are done in those files).

The Shizumaru minichapter will be translated as well. No worries.

you the man, man.

Deuce

More stuff... Galford's intro from chapter 1 is now translated, and I may have found a means of getting those FIX graphics edited...
snap0001.gif
snap0002.gif

snap0003-1.gif
snap0008.gif

snap0012.gif

Deuce

Probably less than that. If things go at my usual speed, maybe six months or so. Maybe. I'm currently on something of an enforced vacation (laid off, but still technically employed and collecting pay until 6/15, and I can't start another job until then or else I lose my severance).

SSRPG has been a minor obsession of mine for years, and now that the means exists for me to get it in English, to my own rather exacting standards of localization, I have every intention of seeing it get done to completion.

Even the title screen will be changed. :)

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Deuce said:
Probably less than that. If things go at my usual speed, maybe six months or so. Maybe. I'm currently on something of an enforced vacation (laid off, but still technically employed and collecting pay until 6/15, and I can't start another job until then or else I lose my severance).

SSRPG has been a minor obsession of mine for years, and now that the means exists for me to get it in English, to my own rather exacting standards of localization, I have every intention of seeing it get done to completion.

Rock on!:buttrock:

I wish you luck with the rest of the project. Everything looks great so far.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Deuce said:

Ok - I think you need to know this - you rule. Sorry, it had to be said.

Looking forward to playing this. Will have to track down another top loader and a copy of SSRPG.

Thanks!

Fighter123

Banned
Deuce said:

Good luck man!

I'm willing to beta test when ready. :)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Looking good Deuce keep it up.

Me thinks i will have to track down a copy for it soon.

Deuce

Notice anything different? :eye:

snap0000.gif
snap0002-1.gif

Hee hee...

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Deuce said:
Hee hee...
Oh hell yes, I see it ... :D

Hint to everyone: scroll up to see some unmodified fight screens.

This is just so awesome it defies description.