So much for Star Wars toys

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I took my son to town last night to pick up some of the new star wars toys that released yesterday.

I thought I'd grab a Kylo Ren, Chrome Trooper, and maybe a new storm trooper fig.

LO AND BEHOLD not one store in Nashville has any. Apparently every fucking nerd and collector in America lined up at midnight to buy every fucking one.

Miraculously, eBay is chock full of them. Sons of whores.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The gig economy at work.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Retailers should reserve a few cases that can only be bought with a child present and a stipulation that the child must open the toy there in the store. Or they could go back to punching holes in the backing cards. Collectors and opportunists always ruin this kinda stuff.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Collecting in general has gotten out of hand. I blame eBay.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Wow...that's ridiculous. :emb:

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble Sherlin. I have to imagine it's the same story here. I was wanting to pick up some of the Playskool Heroes SW stuff for my roommate's 3yr old son for Christmas but seeing how rabid and frenzied the "fans" are, I'll just stick to Power Rangers and TMNT.

I have to imagine that Disney has already seen a ROI from the Lucasfilm purchase just from merchandise sales and the billions they get from the movies will just be icing on the cake.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
These toy crazes are all ridiculous. Remember the Beanie Baby buy up, and then Tickle Me Elmo? I knew people who would traverse their metropolitan area far and wide for Stars Wars figures in the early 2000s, too. Though one guy I was friends with opened them, had them for his private collection, and wasn't thinking about flipping them or some retarded shit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Collecting in general has gotten out of hand. I blame eBay.

It has indeed.

It reminds me of the commerce in THX1138...where you just buy something to buy it. Doesn't really matter what you buy, just buy something.

Neo-collecting really makes no sense to me. Toys were "collectible" because they were not only old, but they managed to survive a time when toys were played with and not collected when new. So, a pristine 30-year old toy has value in age and rarity.

Buying cases of brand new toys, while standing in line with other people doing the same thing really baffles me. Putting these brand new, massed produced items on ebay makes even less sense...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
we are going to be sick to death of star wars by the end of 2015...
Manboys are going to have rooms full of plastic shit, and no idea what to do with it.

and i'm somewhat looking forward to it all.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Retailers should reserve a few cases that can only be bought with a child present and a stipulation that the child must open the toy there in the store. Or they could go back to punching holes in the backing cards. Collectors and opportunists always ruin this kinda stuff.

I support this

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Buying cases of brand new toys, while standing in line with other people doing the same thing really baffles me. Putting these brand new, massed produced items on ebay makes even less sense...
What trumps all that is that someone must be buying them on ebay, or there would be no scalpers. Those are the people I'd really like to punch in the face.

TonK

Least Valuable Player

This actually happened in Youngstown, circa Epidode I

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's out of hand and sheer madness.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So is it the greedy scumbag opportunistic resellers or the the dumbfucks that's willing to pay for the high prices at fault?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This is dumb. They're all open edition toys as far as I know, not limited edition. I'm assuming the hustle to get these means The Rat's marketing hype for Force Friday (fittingly named) worked.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
So I just went to Target to try to find a couple of figs for my boys. There was an older man in there buying everything up. I grabbed a bunch of shit before he got to it. Long story short, he was an ebay reseller, and I grabbed the only "rare" items in the whole store right in front of him. He was so mad. I told him that it was fucks like him who kept children from getting toys in the store and that I'd like to drag all the ebayers out in the parking lot and beat them with a baseball bat. He didn't say anything and just walked away. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm 6'5 and 260lbs....but I was so hoping to unleash some more anger on that fucker. And btw....I took all the toys I grabbed and hid them in the home décor section so that asshole couldn't find them. Granted no one else will, but at least he won't either. They were some deluxe figures. All the normal figs were still gone.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
So I just went to Target to try to find a couple of figs for my boys. There was an older man in there buying everything up. I grabbed a bunch of shit before he got to it. Long story short, he was an ebay reseller, and I grabbed the only "rare" items in the whole store right in front of him. He was so mad. I told him that it was fucks like him who kept children from getting toys in the store and that I'd like to drag all the ebayers out in the parking lot and beat them with a baseball bat. He didn't say anything and just walked away. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm 6'5 and 260lbs....but I was so hoping to unleash some more anger on that fucker. And btw....I took all the toys I grabbed and hid them in the home décor section so that asshole couldn't find them. Granted no one else will, but at least he won't either. They were some deluxe figures. All the normal figs were still gone.

Father of the year! Good job

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I took my son to town last night to pick up some of the new star wars toys that released yesterday.

Why?

Has he seen the movie yet?

No.

So what you're doing is raising him to be another nerd collector. Cut that shit out. He doesn't need the fucking toys yet. It wouldn't even occur to him to WANT the toys yet if your grown nerd collector ass hadn't put the idea in his mind that he did. Take him to the toy store on the day you've finished watching the movie with him and there will be plenty of whatever toy he wants.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Why?

Has he seen the movie yet?

No.

So what you're doing is raising him to be another nerd collector. Cut that shit out. He doesn't need the fucking toys yet. It wouldn't even occur to him to WANT the toys yet if your grown nerd collector ass hadn't put the idea in his mind that he did. Take him to the toy store on the day you've finished watching the movie with him and there will be plenty of whatever toy he wants.

Do you even have a kid?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
He has like 32 great-grand children. He looks at your one child and laughs.

If he has grandkids then, he really shouldn't be giving advice....Unless he is a really old mofo. Anyway, the reason why i ask is that, people with kids should really never criticize how another parent raise their kid.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If he has grandkids then, he really shouldn't be giving advice....Unless he is a really old mofo. Anyway, the reason why i ask is that, people with kids should really never criticize how another parent raise their kid.

Don't be so hypersensitive. You don't have to get so defensive just because someone points out to you that you are fucking up your kids by trying to pass on your neurosis to them as if it was the long dick gene. Your kid has plenty of chances to become a fucked up mess all on his own without you purposely trying to indoctrinate him into the plastic crack hoarder lifestyle.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Since when is buying a toy to play with consider hoarding?