SNKPlaymore give up Atomiswave

freak

New Challenger
freak said:

Well, to make it easy for you guys:

Originally Posted by Iggy @ mmcafe

- The nests hen will have the NG version, the DC version, plus something else. Bonus.

- There are still plans to relase a WH collections, Fûun, and other NG games.

- Tenkaichi was supposed to be the last 2D Samurai Spirits, but ultimately, the point is not what SNK wants to do, but what the fans want to play. So they will listen, and develop accordingly.

- Nejibako 2 ? "maybe".

- MOTW2 ? "maybe not MOTW 2, but definitely a game that will expand and end the story began in MOTW."

- They would like to do a game with only the SNK heroins. Maybe in 3D.

- Yumeji might very well be a man.

- The young man that becomes mizuchi is not Chris's clone ; it's a weapon created by WAREZ.

- It is not impossible to have another collaboration with Capcom.

- They are waiting to see how the 360/PS3/Wii do to make definitive decisions about them.

Originally Posted by TRIEU @ S-C

In the original agreement, which was not disclosed publicly, SNK Playmore and Sammy agreed on 5 titles for the Atomiswave. SNK Playmore agreed to produce these 5 titles for Sammy to return some 'favors', which also wasn't mentioned publicly either.

In May 2003, SNK at the time did have plans on releasing a successor to the Neo Geo (after their agreement with Sammy was fulfilled for the Atomiswave), but it all depended on market conditions, which at the current time is dismal.

Presently, SNK Playmore has not confirmed/decided on what their next move in the arcade sector will be. The announcement might happen at the JAMMA AM Show in September 2006 (Tokyo). So until then, SNK Playmore will be focusing on the home console market.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I understand about the NeoGeo piracy problem but to be totally honest they can easily fix that by having a protected co processor on the game cart. At the end of the day its all about how many units of a game they can sell, not if a game has fancy zooming or sound effects. Sure games on updated hardware may look nicer but it is a waste when you use recycled gfx from neogeo. For me personally I like the level of gfx the NeoGeo provides, I like a game to be a game and not as real life as possible by using high resolutions.

Raz

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Razoola said:
I understand about the NeoGeo piracy problem but to be totally honest they can easily fix that by having a protected co processor on the game cart. At the end of the day its all about how many units of a game they can sell, not if a game has fancy zooming or sound effects. Sure games on updated hardware may look nicer but it is a waste when you use recycled gfx from neogeo. For me personally I like the level of gfx the NeoGeo provides, I like a game to be a game and not as real life as possible by using high resolutions.

Raz

agreed totally, they could still use the MVS.

but I'm "retarded" for thinking so

its retarded to have ever left MVS, they can't handle anything else :annoyed:

Stifu

Kabuki Klasher
kernow said:
agreed totally, they could still use the MVS.

but I'm "retarded" for thinking so
You don't care if 2D dies pitifully, and don't care either for "shitty sequels"... Why would you care even if they switched back to MVS ? That's not gonna happen anyway... Mark my words.

kernow said:
its retarded to have ever left MVS, they can't handle anything else :annoyed:

SNK Playmore didn't handle the Atomiswave any less well than the Neo Geo. Their games for both systems were average, although the Atomiswave ones are probably better overall... But that may not be related to the system, just the fact they're slowly getting better.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
So we just settle with whats currently out and end it now?
Pfft SNKP's games are decent enough to play.

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people would love to see MOTW2 even if it isn't better than the original, atleast it's something.

You're completely forgetting the fact that most people are wrong.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
You people do realise that Atomiswave isn't owned by SNKP right? I don't see how this will affect prices or availability at all.

Considering SNK/P put out 3 of the 4 newest titles, I'd say that they impact the system quite a bit. With the main 3d party publisher pulling out, it is up to Sega/Sammy to come through with worthwhile titles. I just really dont' see this happening, thus the atomiswave will go down in flames.

Ramad

Um, no. They're not going to go back to the MVS. The MVS is ancient hardware. It is easily piratable. Moving backwards would be foolish. I don't understand why they would leave the Atomiswave hardware (unless they move to another platform that is inexpensive to develop and program for), but SNKP is definitely not going back to the MVS.

aria

Former Moderator
The "beloved" Atomiswave... in trouble!

Quick...

Bow before me and be spared! Just kidding...[highlight]DIE![/highlight]

Mwuh-hah-hah!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
The "beloved" Atomiswave... in trouble!

Quick...

Bow before me and be spared! Just kidding...[highlight]DIE![/highlight]

Mwuh-hah-hah!

:lol:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
The Atomiswave made sense as a quick fix for SNKP... better quality graphics and sound, solves the piracy issue, and I bet there was practically zero learning curve for the programmers because they already had years of Dreamcast ports under their belts.

I'd be shocked to see SNKP go back to the MVS. The feel that I get from their marketing of MI etc is that they want to compete with the big boys... that means games both 2D and 3D that feature the latest, greatest graphics and sound. I think SNKP's goal is 2D games of at least Guilty Gear quality, and 3D games of Tekken/VF quality. That being the case, look for SNKP to move to something like Naomi 2.

I see Raz's point that the money to be made on the low end stuff might be the deciding factor though.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
BIG BEAR said:
Independent Jamma Boards
DONE.
-BB

No, anything but that, PLEASE...

I don't want all the bullshit drama we had after the release of SvC MVS in PCB format EVER AGAIN :loco:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
ZERO MVS support, just independent mobo's.
-BB

Amano Jacu said:
No, anything but that, PLEASE...

I don't want all the bullshit drama we had after the release of SvC MVS in PCB format EVER AGAIN :loco:

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
The Neo is dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Let it stay dead.

The days of developing a game projected to bring in $2-300+/unit only to have it dumped and stolen by thousands on the Internet the next day are over, and they need to stay over. SNK could try to better copy-protect its carts, but that would eventually get cracked too. Pirates would hack through any protection, because for most people, especially on the Internet, the name "Neo*Geo" is basically synonymous with "old, dead, emulated games to download for free." They think they're entitled to free Neo games, because they've had easy access to them via ROMs and emulators for years. You expect me to pay money for new Neo*Geo games? That's an outrage! They won't admit it, but that's how a bunch of people on these very forums would react.

The Neo as a hardware platform for new games would be worse than a money pit at this point. Setting cash on fire would be more profitable, because that would at least help keep the offices warm in the winter.

To stay profitable, SNK needs to find another decent 2D hardware platform for arcade games and keep pumping out console ports. The company cannot look back.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
To tell you the truth I think they should probably go 3D, or at the very least use 3D backgrounds ala Capcom vs SNK. It ends the emulation problem even if it the characters are 2D. Maybe the King of Fighters 2006 being 3D is a good thing. I'm guessing this iteration, just like the last, is probably not going to play too well. Who knows, maybe a few sequels down the road may mean they get used to programming for current hardware, and that means classic gameplay with updated graphics that plays well.

Either way they've got to do something new. We're entering the next gen and I don't think SNKP will survive if they rely on graphics that were drawn in '94. I do feel bad about their lack of funds. They may just need to make these new fighters with less than 40+ characters, just like MOTW. They've gotta sink or swim.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I'm pretty gutted tbh.

Ah well hopefully the prices will start to drop now instead of fucking RISING like they have been!

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Razoola said:
At the end of the day its all about how many units of a game they can sell, not if a game has fancy zooming or sound effects.

Raz

Considering that even the arcades in Japan are disappearing fast, and are practically extinct in many other parts of the world, then making an MVS game in this day and age that won't even be accepted to be ported onto home systems would probably be the worst decision SNKP could make.

KOF MI2 sold quite nicely in Japan. Not amazing, but pretty well.

I was expecting to be able to walk into my local game store and pick up KOF XI off the shelf, so I didn't reserve it. It was sold out when I got there, and my friendly game store owner told me she was shocked that it is selling so well as she only got a couple of copies in originally.

Home is where it is at right now.

Ideally they should stick to their model with games like KOF XI: showcase it in the arcade first, then throw a bunch of effort into the home port once the buzz from the arcade version has died down.

Unfortunately though they don't seem to have a hardware option for the arcade part right now, and it looks like that is going to be the case for a while.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
*Sigh* well, taking in account that the Atomiswave wasn't anything else than an Naomi with 2D capabilities, I'm very grateful it's dying. Plus, we've seen tents of consoles and arcades go down in flames WAY faster and worse than the Atomiswave. If you ask me, the Atomiswave is going out "with style", :P

At least, on my side, it won't have bad memories of it.

I REALLY don't think they should go back to the MVS. With the hackers ability this days, any new game would be pirated in a matter of HOURS. I, personally, think that KOF 2003 was a test to see if they could avoid it, and they failed MISERABLY.

I think they will move to watever new arcade board appears. Call it Naomi 2 or Aurora... heck, they could move to the triforce (although, a 2D in the Triforce would be just TOO much) for all I care. I just want them to make NEW and GOOD 2D games, and that's it.

El Cernex

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
a naomi with 2d capabilities?

dont think so my friend

the naomi could murderkill the atomiswave at 2d

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Cernex said:

I think they will move to watever new arcade board appears. Call it Naomi 2 or Aurora... heck, they could move to the triforce (although, a 2D in the Triforce would be just TOO much) for all I care. I just want them to make NEW and GOOD 2D games, and that's it.

El Cernex

Yeah using something like Naomi would be good since they can have direct arcade ports to home, and, I'm assuming, they would not have huge licensing fees compared to the Namco System 246 (arcade PS2). Since they are still making Dreamcast games in Japan and there is still a cult following that may be a good option for SNKP.

BTW don't they already have a Naomi 2, or at least an enhanced Naomi?

freak

New Challenger
Cernex said:
*Sigh* well, taking in account that the Atomiswave wasn't anything else than an Naomi with 2D capabilities, I'm very grateful it's dying. Plus, we've seen tents of consoles and arcades go down in flames WAY faster and worse than the Atomiswave. If you ask me, the Atomiswave is going out "with style", :P

Uh... AW is very similar to NAOMI 1 except that it has less main memory.

ironish said:
BTW don't they already have a Naomi 2, or at least an enhanced Naomi?

http://www.system16.com/museum.php?id=1

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I also said many times , that they should have gone naomi first

but they probably wouldn't be allowed as they'd fail sega's QA tests for the hardware or something.. joke!

I'm just keeping my bases covered thats all :)