SNKPlaymore give up Atomiswave

Jesterzzn

Marked Wolf
3 of the top 10? Where can I see those figures? Not that I don't believe you, that's just news to me.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Jesterzzn said:
3 of the top 10? Where can I see those figures? Not that I don't believe you, that's just news to me.

Check a trade mag. FOTNS, MS6 and KOF XI will be right there.

Stifu

Kabuki Klasher
Razoola said:
This isn't a surprise.. They probably quickly realised they could sell more units on the NeoGeo. If they had any sence they would go back to NeoGeo and release games for it and then release the same game on consoles/handheld via emulation (full emulation of AES verswion). That would really cut down on costs for actually making the games.

Raz
I don't think so... Not only would that feel like a downgrade (no more transparency, smooth zooms, etc... I would mention high-res backgrounds, but they're not that much of an improvement), but also, recent ports have been much more than a straight conversion of the originals.
If they wanted to make more games on the NeoGeo, they shouldn't have left it in the first place, now there's no turning back...
Let's wait and see what they announce KoF XII for.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Here's what TRIEU posted on S-C.com

In the original agreement, which was not disclosed publicly, SNK Playmore and Sammy agreed on 6 titles for the Atomiswave. SNK Playmore agreed to produce these 6 titles for Sammy to return some 'favors', which also wasn't mentioned publicly either.

In May 2003, SNK at the time did have plans on releasing a successor to the Neo Geo (after their agreement with Sammy was fulfilled for the Atomiswave), but it all depended on market conditions, which at the current time is dismal.

Presently, SNK Playmore has not confirmed/decided on what their next move in the arcade sector will be. The announcement might happen at the JAMMA AM Show in September 2006 (Tokyo). So until then, SNK Playmore will be focusing on the home console market.

Expect more titles coming out for PS2...for the U.S. Market...shortly.

There's your answer for the end to Atomiswave support.

Razoola said:
This isn't a surprise.. They probably quickly realised they could sell more units on the NeoGeo. If they had any sence they would go back to NeoGeo and release games for it and then release the same game on consoles/handheld via emulation (full emulation of AES verswion). That would really cut down on costs for actually making the games.

Raz

Not necessarily. As far as I know, there are no Atomiswave bootlegs, which means SNKP earned every cent for every unit sold, rather than losing them to pirate markets. To go back to the Neo-Geo would reopen the flood gates for piracy.

That, and it would be a huge step backward for them. They're finally getting somewhat comfortable with hardware that isn't ancient, and are no doubt enjoying some of the freedom available without the Neo-Geo's limitations on gameplay, visuals, and sound.

It took them 14 odd years to successfully move forward from their original platform, and they'd be wise not to stop.

In a perfect world, they'd make some high quality 3D games for the home consoles for the main stream audience to enjoy and to rake in the cash, while keeping the 2D arcade/hobbyist audience happy by putting the extra cash into developing the awesome 2D games we all know any love.

Regardless of what happens, we should all be glad that SNKP wishes to keep the 2D genre alive, no matter what. Not even Capcom does that anymore.

Last edited:

freak

New Challenger
J0e Musashi said:
Do you actually know this as fact? Dinosaur King is the only title that uses the hardware. The hardware is not JAMMA compatible, I fail to see how it can be the direct replacment for AW.

Well, I sort of wonder sometimes that it will happen or not,

but Sega-Sammy' original concept to develop Aurora is just a system that should appeal to all independent studios that have become fans of the Naomi GD-ROM platform, and are loathed to downgrade to the AW.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
Regardless of what happens, we should all be glad that SNKP wishes to keep the 2D genre alive, no matter what. Not even Capcom does that anymore.

that's what it sounded like in the Falcoon interview a few months ago

I think Capcom likes 2D more than most people think

the Hyper SFA was a indication that there may be some life left in Capcom after all

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
roker said:
that's what it sounded like in the Falcoon interview a few months ago

I think Capcom likes 2D more than most people think

the Hyper SFA was a indication that there may be some life left in Capcom after all

I had wondered about that myself, add in both of the SF collections and the Classic collection vols dare I say that Capcom were testing the waters to see if they should make another 2D installment of either a current franchise( SF as who wouldn't pick that up ) or a older one we haven't seen in a while( Captain Commando, Bionic Commando, etc. )

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Fygee said:
Not necessarily. As far as I know, there are no Atomiswave bootlegs, which means SNKP earned every cent for every unit sold, rather than losing them to pirate markets. To go back to the Neo-Geo would reopen the flood gates for piracy.

Problem is, atomiswave sales were/are lackluster to say the least.
No profit there to be made at all,developing games for ignored systems.

Any arcade operator owns neo geo boards and carts on the other hands and that is why razoola 's comment is really interesting.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
FTL said:
Problem is, atomiswave sales were/are lackluster to say the least.
No profit there to be made at all,developing games for ignored systems.

Any arcade operator owns neo geo boards and carts on the other hands and that is why razoola 's comment is really interesting.

Problem is, as Fygee says, that any Neo Geo game gets bootlegged and emulated just hours after its release, and Razoola knows that very well. I don't see any chance for the MVS to make a comeback. If the AW isn't supported anymore then they'll move to this Aurora or something else. Or just kill the arcade market and produce the games directly for PS2.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
I'm sure new solutions could be used against bootleggers.

Arcade market is dead and the only way to see some more titles released for it is just to use hardware that ALREADY is in the arcades worldwide(and atomsiwave is simply unknown/ignored by arcade ops, in a worldwide perspective)

Operators will NOT buy any new expensive hardware since it won't simply make any profit at all,factored all the costs in.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
As far as the Neo-Geo is concerned, I don't see how they could do anything to deter bootleggers. Any new 16-bit file encryption would be considered a joke and half in this day and age of 128-bit encryption. They'd have to install some sort of explosive device that deploys whenever a cartridge is opened or is used in any unofficial MVS/AES device.

As long as boots, or the risk of boots exist, arcade operators will almost always go the shady route since boots are cheaper and weild the exact same product. Why should SNKP line the pockets of some douchebag like BillyJr (for those who remember him) and lose massive amounts of profit?

While operators would save money simply buying MVS kits like the good old days, games developed on a 16 year old system wouldn't exactly pack the crowds in, particularly since the system is already considered dead. No people = no dinero. There needs to be something reasonably new and flashy to attract a crowd. That's how all the popular 3D fighters get spots in whatever's left of arcades. Not to say that SNKP should convert to 3D of course, but they need to at least keep themselves on what's considered the higher end of the 2D spectrum.

Unless they come up with a powerful yet cheap system for a hardware platform to build on, arcade operators will just have the bite the bullet and take a risk, or pass.

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
FTL said:
I'm sure new solutions could be used against bootleggers.

Sorry, they already tried their best, even pissing everybody in this board by releasing the games in pcb format first, and no dice. KOF 03 used new encryptation and it was a joke. Razoola has said many times the nature of the hardware itself makes it very easy nowadays to bootleg it. Since you can do all sort of stuff to the bios, it can have positive benefits (like the unibios), but it also has a dark side, as you can use it as a trojan horse to get whatever info you need displayed on screen or whatever.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
but it also has a dark side, as you can use it as a trojan horse to get whatever info you need displayed on screen or whatever.

OCP RUNS THE COPS!

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
They weren't giving much away in that interview.

Other than saying they are working on the new Cardfighters Clash, and that their run of Atomisgames is over, pretty much nothing else other that they won't rule out sequels to SS, NBC, and Garou.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Although in theory it might seem for SNK to move back to MVS for profits, it is unlikely.

I can see razoola's point of view, nevertheless, I don't see them returning to that hardware.

I"m pretty sure they'll work for whatever Sega moves to next, give their so called undisclosed deal w/ Sammy.

After the announcement of them no longer makin Slugs on Atmomiswave i wasn't gonna be surprised if they would abandon Atomiswave altogether. Im actually shocked this came to news for everybody (seemed logical to me).

For some strange reason, I feel that most of their profits now are coming from PS2 releases, cell phone games and pachinko machines. I dont' seem them abandoning Arcades completely for now, I'm pretty sure they're studying which market is going to be best suited to publish their games (high profile games KoF XII, etc.).

And I'm guessing this is where next gen online distribution and competition take a higher interest.

Whether we'll be able to download the next KoF on360, Wii, or PS3, is only for the market to reflect. So far, Live Arcade seems interesting, but let's wait til November...

There's also AMOA show (or JAMMA) coming up this year. Hopefully SNKP will explain their absence from last year....

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
pretty much nothing else other that they won't rule out sequels to SS, NBC, and Garou.

suprise! more shitty sequels!

who was it who said years ago they should go back to MVS

it was me.

thanks guys

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
At the end of the day I don't care if the sequels are even quality ones, anything is better than nothing in this dying genre of 2D gaming.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
At the end of the day I don't care if the sequels are even quality ones, anything is better than nothing in this dying genre of 2D gaming.

no, no you're wrong.

anything is not better than nothing in this dying genre

when will people realise a good game is a good game, regardless of media used.. 2d or 3d?

playing a 2d game because its 2d, if its shitty, is just D U M B

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
im pretty happy theyre stopping on the AW, it really wasnt anything too special. i hope theyll make a wise move and team up with capcom to make fat 2d games on a new system 10x better than the cps3 (just better not really 10x, 10x really would be better), wouldnt it be nice to get sf4 and kofXII on the same cab on the same year with the newest futures in graphics and animation and resolution.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
kernow said:
no, no you're wrong.

anything is not better than nothing in this dying genre

So we just settle with whats currently out and end it now?
Pfft SNKP's games are decent enough to play.

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people would love to see MOTW2 even if it isn't better than the original, atleast it's something.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I'm not really too excited about Garou 2, I actually like it to be a one time series (like Galaxy Fight), and recently Chaos and NGBC.

I really wouldn't want them to have sequels.

I think they can have more ideas on crossovers with other properties.

that and a new IP would be nice.