SNK PLAYMORE changes its name to SNK

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNK is SNK AGAIN!! YAY!! And next they will start making Neo Carts again!?!? Even better!

Once again, that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, never happen.

I really don't understand the logic behind people that think there's a snowballs' chance in hell that SNK would ever make Neo carts again, be they new releases or old games. Do you want them to go bankrupt again?

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
Once again, that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, never happen.

I really don't understand the logic behind people that think there's a snowballs' chance in hell that SNK would ever make Neo carts again, be they new releases or old games. Do you want them to go bankrupt again?

I know, sarcasm.

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Aw man I need to watch my all about SNK dvds again!!

*preparing wallet for AES re-release marathon*

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've grown to dislike Neo Geo so much over the past decade and this thread is a perfect example as to why.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I was in Japan,

I went to a bar,

and I met an old SNK employee from the early 90s,

and I asked him,

"What happened?"

and he replied,

"no soul"

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
When I was in Japan,

I went to a bar,

and I met an old SNK employee from the early 90s,

and I asked him,

"What happened?"

and he replied,

"no soul"

If that aint the fucking truth...

I think that some of the games themselves had plenty of soul, but as a company, the soul completely fizzled out in 2000.

They managed to get some of it back in 2004-2006 when SNKP started to get some traction again, but that fizzled out as well.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
That will never, ever, ever, ever happen.

Ever.

The idea that they'd make a lot of money off of reproducing old hardware is beyond absurd. They already reproduce the old software a million times over on whatever current gen system it happens to be, and on mobile.

May we explore things a bit here?

1) What is the main goal of any company or business? Isn't it to "make money"?
Operate efficiently, sell product, use the revenues to pay the bills & make some profits.

2) Diversity is key in the modern business world. Sell physical games for modern systems (Xbox one, PS4, etc.) Sell downloadable games for cell phones, computers, tablets, etc. Sell merchandise; such as hats, shirts, trading cards, whatever.

3) Get publicity & media to discuss your company as much as possible, keep the fans happy by continuing popular game series & reintroducing favorite characters, etc.

4) Keep an open mind to new ideas & suggestions because the only constant is change, and if you don't try things & make changes, you may lose opportunities or become out dated & irrelevant.

Now, with all that said, let's move on to some logical thought.

Some products bring higher profits then others. Some are difficult to gauge for certain how much & in what ways they contribute. But so long as money is made; more specifically, money is not lost, any idea attempted is worth the chance.

So, here we enter the questions.

-- The Nintendo Wii U is one of today's modern game systems.
-- Nintendo is still a very large & successful company.
-- The Wii-U system is downwardly compatible with the original Wii.
-- The Wii & Wii U both have the virtual console interface.

So, what would it take to request SNK to continue to release more of their NEOGEO software for the Wii systems?
How much money is needed by Nintendo to pay for a games release on the virtual console?
How many copies have to be downloaded by consumers to generate a profit?

Surely the costs involved with restarting the virtual console process is far cheaper & much faster then the console cartridge one. So finally, assuming we can get someone to go and talk to SNK about this, and assuming they agree to do it, now we arrive at the purpose of doing it...to get some games released...

Yes, even if the stipulation were to be that the games must meet a quota of a minimum download amount, we could offer to supplement the difference if they were to fall short. (again, just as with the cart productions, and you can ask Shawn himself if you don't believe it, so long as it was paid for, they never cared from whom or how.)

SNK makes money. We get the games. (and then of course transplant them ourselves to their proper homes after the fact)

Just an idea man. We live in a world of Nintendo dressing up limited editions of the 3DS with NES colors & patterns. Capcom releasing NES Duck Tales. GameStop including bonus characters in the latest Mortal Kombat games exclusively if you preorder through them. Etc. Crazy cross promotions & marketing gimmicks are not only acceptable today but are actually implemented all the time. Don't just assume they will say no & therefore decide not to even bother asking. You never know...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So, what would it take to request SNK to continue to release more of their NEOGEO software for the Wii systems?

That's fairly easy: the absence of soft-mods.

We live in a world of Nintendo dressing up limited editions of the 3DS with NES colors & patterns. etc.

We also live in a world, where digital entertainment costs practically nothing and grey area emulation is so much more efficient, than the official one. Now, with all that said, I like your idea a lot, but it prolly won't do, at least not in this lifetime.

Re-releasing the games on the other hand is futile, simply because nowadays it's all about the money that "originals" fetch. The fascination/repulsion of this fact constitutes the basis of the current popularity of the so called retro scene and, ultimately, makes everybody happy they're part of it.

Never change a winning team...

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
SNK needs to come out with a new console with new controllers and new slug with online capabilities so we can Co op shootie ackshiun with neo geo. Com members. Get on kick-start, And do what always works. Special limited edition console colors and design so you can collect the first 100 pre orders only. Something else for the next 100 pre orders and so forth . only difference is that the console is tiny and game cartridges are tiny also. Controller same size. zero slowdown, more this better that ect ect made in Japan.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
[...] Co op shootie ackshiun [...] Get on kick-start, And do what always works. [...] only difference is that the console is tiny and game cartridges are tiny also. Controller same size. zero slowdown, more this better that ect ect made in Japan.
Karou infectious, you are?!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
While i'm happy to see this, it really means nothing in the end. What matters is the games.

No matter who's making KOF, SS, AOF and FF, as long as the games are great and honor the legacy, is all I care about.

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
You no buy! Why you no buy? You buy now.
You no pay! Why you no pay? You pay now.

myblackamex

NEST Puppet
Very Interesting they went back.......... must feel comfy that they have move past and branding issues from the failed old company

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
SNK needs to come out with a new console with new controllers and new slug with online capabilities so we can Co op shootie ackshiun with neo geo. Com members. Get on kick-start, And do what always works. Special limited edition console colors and design so you can collect the first 100 pre orders only. Something else for the next 100 pre orders and so forth . only difference is that the console is tiny and game cartridges are tiny also. Controller same size. zero slowdown, more this better that ect ect made in Japan.

Seriously?!?!?

You think that it would be in SNK's best interest to build/manufacture a new system of their own? That will make them successful, not bankrupt?

Oh, and kickstarters always work?!?!:loco::scratch::hammer::oh_no::lolz:

If this post is an example of you being serious, then there is no hope for you. This sounds even dumber than people thinking or assuming that SNK will start producing AES/MVS carts again.