Smart Retro's CMVS Slim Analogue ripoff??

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
No. As long as it works I could not care what the internals look like

Drakon said the same thing when it came to his hot glue encased mods and eventually some of those mods failed. Cleanliness is an asset when it comes to modding.

ChrisB

Another Striker
Yeah I saw that.. was like wtf!! That shouldn't ever happen. Too much moisture in the wood will cause that

ChrisB

Another Striker
Drakon said the same thing when it came to his hot glue encased mods and eventually some of those mods failed. Cleanliness is an asset when it comes to modding.

Yeah cleanliness is better and quan your omega is a clean design no hot glue anywhere. But didn't Chris say he had to use glue and a harness as it was a wood enclosure?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Yeah cleanliness is better and quan your omega is a clean design no hot glue anywhere. But didn't Chris say he had to use glue and a harness as it was a wood enclosure?

There is hot glue in the omega but not a whole lot of it. It's used to add extra adhesion to the nbm when it gets attached to the cpu for the unibios and vmc features. Not exactly a high stress fixture in the grand scheme of things unless you enjoy shaking electronics until something rattles. If you want an example of a misuse of hot glue, the AI has the controller ports glued down to the side wall instead of being directly screwed into the wall or mounted on a pcb which is then screwed down to the base. I consider the controller ports to be areas of higher mechanical stress due to the plugs being inserted and removed with a good amount of force.

The same goes for video plugs. The nesrgb also recommends using hot glue to affix the video jacks to the case which I completely ignore. I go with panel jacks that have screw mounted holes to make sure the jack will never pop out.

ChrisB

Another Striker
There is hot glue in the omega but not a whole lot of it. It's used to add extra adhesion to the nbm when it gets attached to the cpu for the unibios and vmc features. Not exactly a high stress fixture in the grand scheme of things unless you enjoy shaking electronics until something rattles. If you want an example of a misuse of hot glue, the AI has the controller ports glued down to the side wall instead of being directly screwed into the wall or mounted on a pcb which is then screwed down to the base. I consider the controller ports to be areas of higher mechanical stress due to the plugs being inserted and removed with a good amount of force.

The same goes for video plugs. The nesrgb also recommends using hot glue to affix the video jacks to the case which I completely ignore. I go with panel jacks that have screw mounted holes to make sure the jack will never pop out.
Hi quan so all that is holding the controller ports in place in my ai cmvs is hot glue??

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Hi quan so all that is holding the controller ports in place in my ai cmvs is hot glue??

I can't say for your unit specifically, but the "black label" unit I got from Joneo was like that. If your warranty is expired, your best bet is to open it and look.

ChrisB

Another Striker
I can't say for your unit specifically, but the "black label" unit I got from Joneo was like that. If your warranty is expired, your best bet is to open it and look.
Hi quan
Mine is just an original slim not a black label. So if they've just glued a black label it doesn't sound promising..
Okay I'll open it I'm assuming the screws are located under the rubber feet?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Hi quan
Mine is just an original slim not a black label. So if they've just glued a black label it doesn't sound promising..
Okay I'll open it I'm assuming the screws are located under the rubber feet?

I called it "black label" with quotes because it was the normal walnut original slim but with a black label badge. The screws are underneath the feet. That's the secret to his seamless design with no visible screws.

ChrisB

Another Striker
No. As long as it works I could not care what the internals look like

I called it "black label" with quotes because it was the normal walnut original slim but with a black label badge. The screws are underneath the feet. That's the secret to his seamless design with no visible screws.
Lol okay mate will be tomorrow now but I'll open it
Yes seamless for the win!

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm glad I went with the Omega. Can anyone vouch for the walnut arcade stick? I would imagine it too would crack in a similar fashion as the AI CMVS.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'm glad I went with the Omega. Can anyone vouch for the walnut arcade stick? I would imagine it too would crack in a similar fashion as the AI CMVS.

I have an AI stick and have had no problems. But I pulled all the hot glue out and replaced the stick and buttons. Wood hasn't cracked or anything, though.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I have an AI stick and have had no problems. But I pulled all the hot glue out and replaced the stick and buttons. Wood hasn't cracked or anything, though.

Thinking I might get rid of the hot glue in mine too since the warranty is long since expired.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
They've been selling these for quite a while. I was emailing them about buying one, probably two years ago now. They held stock in the UK at that time, in Exeter if I remember correctly. I decided against it in the end though.

Edit: I just searched through my inbox and it was the start of January last year I was emailing them, so one year ago.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had it for a couple of years, but I bought it used off of another forum member. Not sure how long he had it.
Good man. I was just commenting to someone about how when AI sticks come up for sale they never seem to have any use. It's crazy that someone would spend $200 on a stick and never use it.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Good man. I was just commenting to someone about how when AI sticks come up for sale they never seem to have any use. It's crazy that someone would spend $200 on a stick and never use it.

I agree. I understand the whole collectard thing, but there is nothing really "collectible" about AI stuff, in my opinion. I wanted a stick that was nicer than the stock AES job, and at the time there was no one around here still making stick enclosures, so I just bought a used AI stick and adjusted it to my liking.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Unstupid and I were supposed to make sticks but he went AWOL, I have no idea what happened to him.

ChrisB

Another Striker
They've been selling these for quite a while. I was emailing them about buying one, probably two years ago now. They held stock in the UK at that time, in Exeter if I remember correctly. I decided against it in the end though.

Edit: I just searched through my inbox and it was the start of January last year I was emailing them, so one year ago.

Hi matt ah okay wish I would have known about these guys that all this post was for was to make people aware if there was an official reseller in the uk as I got stung heavily when I bought my unit from the states by hm customs. its not called rip off Britain for nothing :(

Analogue seems to be a swear word round here though :)

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Seems as though there could be demand for fightstick builders on this forum?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Seems as though there could be demand for fightstick builders on this forum?

i did have thoughts about asking someone here to build me a arcade stick. fight stick builders might go down well here to be honest.