Post favourite scenes from movies.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Goddamn, this is a great thread. How about this one:

And it's so popular it's a cliche, but Casablanca is one of my favourite movies for a reason:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well... one of the greatest television shows, anyway.

Here's a scene from the final episode of THE greatest of all television shows:

'55 is about where Cooper fails his journey through the Lodge. I think if he didn't run away, then he would have survived the Black Lodge intact.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is the diner scene to trump all other diner scenes

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
'55 is about where Cooper fails his journey through the Lodge. I think if he didn't run away, then he would have survived the Black Lodge intact.
Yeah, I remember thinking, "You blew it," right about there.

On the other hand, some of the other stuff he sees in the red room made me wonder if maybe the entire town wasn't the Lodge, and Cooper had been living out a dream while hovering between life and death after being stabbed by Windom Earl when he found his wife cheating on him with Cooper. The way everyone in the town keeps reliving their own personal patterns makes the whole place feel a little like a purgatory. Or maybe not.

Anyway, I would have loved to have seen a third season, although Lynch's premise was depressing as hell. The first scene would begin with the subtitle, "Five years later..." meaning, five years of crazy Cooper/Doppelganger Cooper/whatever murdering people undiscovered.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, I remember thinking, "You blew it," right about there.

On the other hand, some of the other stuff he sees in the red room made me wonder if maybe the entire town wasn't the Lodge, and Cooper had been living out a dream while hovering between life and death after being stabbed by Windom Earl when he found his wife cheating on him with Cooper. The way everyone in the town keeps reliving their own personal patterns makes the whole place feel a little like a purgatory. Or maybe not.

Anyway, I would have loved to have seen a third season, although Lynch's premise was depressing as hell. The first scene would begin with the subtitle, "Five years later..." meaning, five years of crazy Cooper/Doppelganger Cooper/whatever murdering people undiscovered.

the problem with the whole town being Cooper's dream is that the people have their own identities and some events are completely out of Cooper's universe. Like James on his way to San Fran, stopping to fix the classic car, or Nadine as a character, have nothing to do with Cooper.

But the idea that the town could be the Lodge is touched on when it's mentioned that the closer one is to the Lodge, the more its effects are felt. That's probably why so many weird things happen (Nadine; communicating with a log; "alien" abduction of Briggs).

An argument against the town being purgatory is Hawk, who is awesome. He killed a man with a hatchet when they snuck into the one eyed jack.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
the problem with the whole town being Cooper's dream

No, I'm not suggesting it's Cooper's dream. Even in this theory, all the people are real and actual, all experiencing their own forms of purgatory.

The thing about the theory, and any of the thousand theories anyone can come up with, is that there is always as much to contradict them as there is to support any of them. But part of that is probably due to Lynch's departure in the middle of the series to go make Wild at Heart. The middle of the series is where all the least strong episodes come in (like the James affair with the married woman episode -- the series' all-time low point), and when Lynch came back towards the end of the series, he was reportedly upset at the way things had deteriorated and diverged from how he would have done things. And when he directed the final episode, I think he tried to salvage as much as he could. He heavily rewrote (on the fly) the script for the final episode from Mark Frost's original screenplay. A magazine called 'Wrapped In Plastic' published both outlines with script excerpts side by side for comparison, and while both feature Cooper entering the Lodge to rescue Annie, they are drastically different in every other way. Frost's version was silly crap, in my honest opinion. Lynch's televised version was much more consistent with the original vision and tone of the series, and is one of the finest hours of television ever aired (along with the pilot and maybe the other Lynch-directed episodes, like 13 (Maddy's death/reveal of Leland)).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No, I'm not suggesting it's Cooper's dream. Even in this theory, all the people are real and actual, all experiencing their own forms of purgatory.

The thing about the theory, and any of the thousand theories anyone can come up with, is that there is always as much to contradict them as there is to support any of them. But part of that is probably due to Lynch's departure in the middle of the series to go make Wild at Heart. The middle of the series is where all the least strong episodes come in (like the James affair with the married woman episode -- the series' all-time low point), and when Lynch came back towards the end of the series, he was reportedly upset at the way things had deteriorated and diverged from how he would have done things. And when he directed the final episode, I think he tried to salvage as much as he could. He heavily rewrote (on the fly) the script for the final episode from Mark Frost's original screenplay. A magazine called 'Wrapped In Plastic' published both outlines with script excerpts side by side for comparison, and while both feature Cooper entering the Lodge to rescue Annie, they are drastically different in every other way. Frost's version was silly crap, in my honest opinion. Lynch's televised version was much more consistent with the original vision and tone of the series, and is one of the finest hours of television ever aired (along with the pilot and maybe the other Lynch-directed episodes, like 13 (Maddy's death/reveal of Leland)).

I agree that the middle of the second season was very weak.

I would love to see Lynch make another series. An extension of Twin Peaks would be great, but I would take anything.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd kind of rather he left Twin Peaks as it is at this point -- I'm pretty fine with what was revealed in Fire Walk With Me and leaving the rest to imagination and interpretation -- although I guess we're coming up pretty quick on the point he could do an actual "Twenty-five years later..." thing with Cooper in the Lodge.

But yeah, something new would be awesome... on some cable network for whom success is measured a little more modestly and will let Lynch do his thing.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Just viewed the Robocop bluray last night. It had been so long since I watched the show there were a lot of little details I forgot. I love how someone yells call a paramedic after ED 209 unloads 10 lbs of lead into the guys body.

Classic ending to one of the greatest films/war films ever made. Doesn't really have the impact without watching the film though.

Yes! I was thinking about that exact scene yesterday and wishing they would remaster both Conan movies for bluray release.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
my favorite scenes involve gratuitous nudity....like erika eleniak's striptease from Under Siege.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's one of my all-time favorite scenes, as well. And I will raise you:

This is what I was going to post.

I really like the scene in 28 Weeks Later when the main guy abandons his wife to the Zombies at the beginning. Love it.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
All quiet on the western front.....is that how the book ended?
I thought he pulled out a sketchbook to draw a bird on a branch before he got shot.

Man, that book was a bummer.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist

Yessss.

Here's a couple of mines...
On of my favorite Miike movies, shit one of my favorite moves. Period. Interestingly enough, the long white haired guy in the Hakama is who the movie is loosely about and the soundtrack was an album that he made back in 1971. Totally ahead of it's time psychedelic rock called "Flower Travellin' Band"... Miike liked it so much he decided to use it as the exclusive soundtrack for the movie. Took me years to find the soundtrack back when there was no internet. Not sure how hard it is now but if anyone wants it Id be happy to put it up...

Excellent old school style Futsaan lion dancing (versus a northern lion) with the lion solving a puzzle to "pluck the greens"... starring the late great Kwan Tak Hing

Here is Kwan Tak Hing again in one of his more famous movies... excellent scene and the guy is the real deal. In amazing shape even at this age...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hard to believe it's the same actor in both clips.
What I had a hard time believing is how closely and shamelessly Steiger based his performance on Eli Wallach, for whom the role was originally written. Still a great movie, though.

And speaking of same actors:

My wife tells me I run like James Coburn, which I don't think she meant as a compliment, but I'll take it that way. Also, I miss turtlenecks.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That scene alone is better than Legend of Chun-Li and the KoF live-action movie combined.