PC-Engine CoreGrafX mini

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
Yes, why aren't they using PayPal, a direct competitor (and former part of ebay) to their own payment service called Amazon Pay?

You sure are fucking dumb.

Stop stalking me you psychotic, doxxing, Kiwifarm lunatic!! I have NOTHING to do with you, and want NOTHING to do with you!! Understand that ???

This thread is about the PCE mini, not your psychotic hate obsession with me and this isn't West Korea either! Leave the thread the hell alone just cause you spotted me posting in it and wanna bring drama in it!

I told xRotx years ago this forum needs a full block/invisible feature so nutjobs like you can be totally blocked, just like Facebook where you wouldn't be able to see any of the other person's posts/threads! Every time you see me post somewhere you get all excited, start googling me, look for all my photos you're collecting & try to come up with some kind of troll to remind me you're watching me!

I dunno why the mods put up with the likes of you all these years, f*cking creeper!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
he still thinks I doxxed him or anything, I think he's confusing me for somebody else :thevt:

Or he's just retarded.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I told xRotx years ago this forum needs a full block/invisible feature so nutjobs like you can be totally blocked, just like Facebook where you wouldn't be able to see any of the other person's posts/threads! Every time you see me post somewhere you get all excited, start googling me, look for all my photos you're collecting & try to come up with some kind of troll to remind me you're watching me!

So, rot should do what you did - throw a temper tantrum like a child because of hurt feelings and ban everyone?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So, rot should do what you did - throw a temper tantrum like a child because of hurt feelings and ban everyone?

That's what he did to pcefx as a mod (even after getting banned by the site owner, through a backdoor to re-ban restored accounts) so yeah, that's probably what he meant by it. :keke:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I cancelled my pre-order as I just wasnt sure I would play these games. Plus I own most of the games that still interest me on this platform.
I might grab one in the next batch based on the positive reviews. I don't think anyone predicted so much effort would be put into these.

The CD sound effects are a great touch. They sound very much like an old CD drive.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I cancelled my pre-order as I just wasnt sure I would play these games. Plus I own most of the games that still interest me on this platform.
I might grab one in the next batch based on the positive reviews. I don't think anyone predicted so much effort would be put into these.

The CD sound effects are a great touch. They sound very much like an old CD drive.

The whole package was made with a lot of care. Kinda surprising coming from modern day Konami, to be honest. Won't buy it (probably... I'm second guessing my decision) but I'm sure as hell gonna buy the USB pads by Hori. edit: ...if Japan Post goes back to Japan Posting to Brazil before supplies dry up, I mean.

Last edited:

DarkKobold

n00b
Stop stalking me you psychotic, doxxing, Kiwifarm lunatic!! I have NOTHING to do with you, and want NOTHING to do with you!! Understand that ???

This thread is about the PCE mini, not your psychotic hate obsession with me and this isn't West Korea either! Leave the thread the hell alone just cause you spotted me posting in it and wanna bring drama in it!

I dunno why the mods put up with the likes of you all these years, f*cking creeper!

LOL, I came to see the lulz, and left satisfied. Nutterpants never fails to amuse.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Got the CoreGrafx yesterday (actually DHL left it in the usual hiding spot but didn't inform me, found it after ten days...)
Pretty nice menu design and the games seem to play alright, but is it just me or does Lords of Thunder just sound wrong? I remember the redbook audio being better on the original console?

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
I told xRotx years ago this forum needs a full block/invisible feature so nutjobs like me can be totally blocked

Anywho...
The CD based games are highly compressed since there's only 4GB of space on the pce mini. It's some .ogg audio format. That could be one reason it might sound wrong. That, or maybe they added the tracks from the re-recorded audio on the Sega CD?

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Adding the Sega CD tracks don't make much sense to me, I guess it is really a compression issue... it sucks but at least we know "jailbreaking" it fixes that and more.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Yeah. The mod my classic team already have a hack going. Very early though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Anywho...
The CD based games are highly compressed since there's only 4GB of space on the pce mini. It's some .ogg audio format. That could be one reason it might sound wrong. That, or maybe they added the tracks from the re-recorded audio on the Sega CD?

No, they're the right tracks, but they just sound muffled to me.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Well that sucks. Is it just Lords of Thunder or do the other CD based games sound muffled as well? Was thinking of picking one up but I might just wait.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Got the Core Grafx and TG16 Minis in a good while ago, but then moved house, so didn't get a chance to even open the box. Finally did so last night, and the TG16 Mini is fucking glorious. I always wanted a TG16 since I played the demo unit at Toys R Us when I was 5 or 6, and got a Duo R when I was 20 or so, but there's just something about the TG16 form factor.

Also, seems like people are willing to pay out the nose for these things on ebay. It's a little ridiculous. I may sell my Core Grafx Mini on here. If anybody wants to grab it, shoot me a PM.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Crazy that it was at this point (for me at least) that the covids affected me. Since then people I know have gotten hospitalized and nurses I know saw their job become even more serious than it already was, friends lost jobs, family had mental breakdowns, isolation started getting to me more, etc.

Well, I got my fucking TG16 mini today from Amazon Jp and I couldn't be more happy. I don't think I would have appreciated it as much had life just rolled by as it was supposed to.

My review:

The fucking UI is top notch. I love it. In my opinion, the bar got raised. The music in the menus is also fantastic, it rivals the music in the NES/SNES Classics. The selection of games is very serviceable. I could complain about some omissions and such, but hack the mother fucker if you're that anal or get a rom box. Overall what does it for me is I loved that I got to open a new TG16 (even if it's the mini) for the first time in 30 years. Not everyone had this system so the nostalgic factor isn't going to be as high as the NES/SNES/Genny minis evoked, but I fucking had one and it looks cool in my entertainment center right now.

For the record, I prefer original hardware/software (and I do have it), the mini "craze" is a novelty and I love the shit out of it when it's done right (fuck you, SNK).

Last edited:

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
My review:

The fucking UI is top notch. I love it. In my opinion, the bar got raised.

Glad to hear.

Overall what does it for me is I loved that I got to open a new TG16 (even if it's the mini) for the first time in 30 years.

I actually won a real TG-16 console in 1990 (with Keith Courage+Bloody Wolf), total freak occurrence finding a contest in the Chicago Sun Times Sunday paper!

After it broke I scored the $99 Turbo Duo deal as TTi was shutting down in the US, that's what introduced me to Ys Book I & II, and taking the leap to buy imports for the first time: Dracula X ($85) and then Ys IV: Dawn of Ys ($55)... If not for the contest, I would've just moved along in this path: Atari->NES->SNES->PS1->PS2, and that's about it. Nobody else in school or my neighborhood heard of TG-16, pretty underdog...

nostalgic factor

I bought it for nostalgia & respect to Konami for actually doing something with Hudson IP instead of nothing.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Keith Courage

Not to complain because it's such a shitty game but I kind of felt this should have been included with the mini since it was the pack-in game in North America.

yeah man, if it weren't for the magic engine I don't think I would have played the CD games. I feel like I missed out on so much. The CD games convince me sometimes that it's a 16-bit system. I only said sometimes because there were some shitty releases that the CD format couldn't save.

That's not a cut down by any means. I really mean this endearingly when I say it was a hot rodded NES hardware-wise.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
There were very few games I got to experience on the TG-16 so while I'm sitting here reading your posts, I've been giving some serious thought into getting one of these.