PC-Engine CoreGrafX mini

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Got mine. Super pleased. Pro tip: dont use the scanline/crt filter.

Smart move to go with the JP version, sounds like Konami's not manufacturing as many as they wanted to but at least they're actually in production.

So I guess I got pretty lucky getting mine. It looks like only the japanese one has been released so far and in low numbers. Neither of the other consoles or any of the additional controllers have gotten out to customers yet from what I can tell.

I figured I would talk about what I think of mine so far, the console itself is flimsy and not that attractive. Feels and looks kind of crappy IMO. However the controller is magnificent, feels really really good to me, looks great feels durable, good enough that I just went ahead and ordered some of the optional turbo controllers because I know Im going to want em, maybe for other things.

The interface is the coolest Ive seen in any mini or multi format. You can quickly and easily adjust options and jump between games and use the save states. There are background themes for all three systems. You get an amazing animation of a hu card or cd going into an original system. There is an awesome attract mode if you leave it on and alone for awhile where it will play all the games intros back to back.

There are hidden versions of games, hidden games and the individual "incorrect cd system card" screens from all cd games are viewable.

The picture is excellent, as long as you leave it on the default size and dont use the scanlines. On one of my tv's turning on the scanlines is like activating cancer mode, they are very thick and the picture gets really dim and soft when you turn them on. However on my bedroom tv I noticed the shift wasnt as bad when turning them on. I fiddle fucked with my advanced picture settings on that tv for 20 minutes and got a pretty decent picture with the scanlines. Just be prepared if you need scanlines you are going to have to dick around with your tv a lot probably and its never going to be a super impressive picture like the default settings.

The sound is great not excellent, its very clear and sharp but just does not have the range and definition of the original systems.

I guess these are basically the same inside as the m2 made genesis mini, but with more memory for the big cd games, and I guess that mini genesis is fairly well hacked by now so things will probably move quick for this mini.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I posted in the other thread, but got my PCE Mini last week. It's insanely awesome.

Heads up that the PC Engine Mini is still in stock on Amazon Japan. I'll be happy to help anybody order, if you want to scoop one.

The Core Grafx and TG16 Mini are available for preorder, with tentative release date of 4/12. I preordered both, we'll see what happens.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Are the controllers (and maybe turbotap) usable on a PC (or as a regular HID compliant controller)? I couldn't care less about the mini itself but the controllers seem very nice.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Got my pce mini from Amazon Japan two days ago and it's a neat little console. VB pretty much broke everything down. People bitching about the controller not having the turbo functions is small potatoes. Controller feels very close to the original. I have original pce controllers with turbo sliders and never used the turbo function.

As far as lag goes I did notice a little. In Lords of Thunder when I go close up to use the sword I notice that I'm not as precise with it and get hit more often. Something I could do easily on a CRT. Wasn't expecting a perfect lag free experience from a mini console. I think it's pretty solid overall.

I would also like to add what was already mentioned. The demo's playing when you leave the console in idle and the CD spinning sound sounds very authentic. Those are very nice touches. This mini has the best presentation so far out of all the mini's released.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
MLIG has there review up.I'm kind of annoyed i preorder the TG16 version through amazon u.s but i can wait.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Got mine via pre-order at Amazon Japan. I posted some pictures in the "Post Your Recent Purchases" thread. VB is right- the console feels flimsy. I also notice the audio/sound is low while playing Dracula X:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Heads up that TG16 Mini and Core Grafx Mini are in stock on Amazon JP.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
my coregrafx is on its way. the delay due to human malware wasn't as bad as I expected.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
No, your normal amazon account should work on the japanese site, at least my german account works on both the japanese and US site.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You need to reregister at Amazon JP. Not needed for the other Amazon shops but for Japan.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's the only Amazon I needed to reregister. Don't know if it was possible some years ago though.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I just used my old Amazon JP account, but updated my address to where I live in the US now. Shipping was like $15.

If anybody needs help scooping, PM me and we can figure something out.

So the thing that keeps me coming back and playing this thing every day is the Gradius Near Arcade Perfect version. Its really good!

Is there a more accurate port of gradius anywhere? I wonder how the saturn deluxe pack compares?

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
So the thing that keeps me coming back and playing this thing every day is the Gradius Near Arcade Perfect version. Its really good!

Is there a more accurate port of gradius anywhere? I wonder how the saturn deluxe pack compares?

Saturn deluxe pack is pretty much perfect. eg. already included the bubble-ram counter at the start...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

X68000 version is pretty spot on, and so is Gradius 2.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Gah...I've got a CoreGrafx and a Duo-R...but I want this.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Saturn version is perfect, I do love me some PCE Gradius though, mostly for the extra level they added. It fits in well in my opinion.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
My CoreGrafx mini arrived from Amazon de Japan, $114USD in total, not terribly bad all things considered!

I was shocked at the delivery time! I ordered it on a Friday, April 3rd, it got here on the 7th with DHL shipping!!!

I wasn't sure where I was gonna buy it (was thinking PlayAsia before), or how long I was gonna wait, but I ran into a Creative Cat video where he mentioned he cancelled his US Amazon order which is delayed till the end of the year, and got his TG-16 mini model using Amazon Japan...in only 10 days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQt3eT8Xa4

My only gripe was having to use my Visa card which is tied to my checking account because they don't accept PayPal... I normally kept that card strictly for its debit mode to withdraw cash when needed, the bank forced an upgrade to transition into a credit card years ago... For routine online shopping I use my Discover (or PayPal) as a buffer which also was not accepted here. Anyway, once the order was completed, I just went into the account and deleted the payment method. If I have to shop there again, I'll just temporarily add it back.

I haven't opened it just yet though, kinda wanna plan an unboxing video and talk some PCE history at some point. I'll see. It's pretty cool to see a little revival for the console & its legacy thanks to Konami (which has my respect again), however long it lasts.

https://www.facebook.com/NightWolve/posts/10222778328556185

---------------------------------------------------

Also, I honestly wouldn't mind this mold too but I understand why it'd never happen:

Super-Grafx-Mini-Mold-s.png

I always really liked the SuperGrafx mold seeing it in 90's GameFan magazines growing up (should've imported one back then!). Some find it ugly, but tastes vary of course. Unfortunately the embarrassment of releasing this mold in mini form given how the console was aborted after only 5 games, it's objectively reminding the public of that massive failure on NEC's part in a way, so yeah, not likely to ever happen...

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
My CoreGrafx mini arrived from Amazon de Japan, $114USD in total, not terribly bad all things considered!

I was shocked at the delivery time! I ordered it on a Friday, April 3rd, it got here on the 7th with DHL shipping!!!

I wasn't sure where I was gonna buy it (was thinking PlayAsia before), or how long I was gonna wait, but I ran into a Creative Cat video where he mentioned he cancelled his US Amazon order which is delayed till the end of the year, and got his TG-16 mini model using Amazon Japan...in only 10 days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQt3eT8Xa4

My only gripe was having to use my Visa card which is tied to my checking account because they don't accept PayPal... I normally kept that card strictly for its debit mode to withdraw cash when needed, the bank forced an upgrade to transition into a credit card years ago... For routine online shopping I use my Discover (or PayPal) as a buffer which also was not accepted here. Anyway, once the order was completed, I just went into the account and deleted the payment method. If I have to shop there again, I'll just temporarily add it back.

I haven't opened it just yet though, kinda wanna plan an unboxing video and talk some PCE history at some point. I'll see. It's pretty cool to see a little revival for the console & its legacy thanks to Konami (which has my respect again), however long it lasts.

https://www.facebook.com/NightWolve/posts/10222778328556185

Yes, why aren't they using PayPal, a direct competitor (and former part of ebay) to their own payment service called Amazon Pay?

You sure are fucking dumb.