OLD films you like... but would be shunned by todays "Standards"....

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've not actually seen OUaTiH but will soon and then watch DU again...before it's yanked.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'm honestly surprised Tarantino hasn't been "cancelled" yet between the unabashed foot fetish, the Uma Thurman stuff and his love of saying/using slurs in film. Probably because he's not afraid to tell people to go fuck themselves when they come after him.

Bad News Bears was the first thing I thought of (after Ace Ventura for the Finkel/Einhorn stuff that would never fly). No matter how good the Pixar movies are, the one thing that has been completely lost in modern "family" films is that no one in those movies talks like real people do. Bad News Bears is kind of an extreme example but even shit like Goonies is something you never see anymore. The kids in Goonies feel like real kids because they talk the way kids actually talk (cursing, shitting on each other, fast and constantly talking over each other). BNB is almost startling when you rewatch it and there's no way in hell they would make that movie now (apart from the remake which was a giant waste of time).

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm honestly surprised Tarantino hasn't been "cancelled" yet between the unabashed foot fetish, the Uma Thurman stuff and his love of saying/using slurs in film. Probably because he's not afraid to tell people to go fuck themselves when they come after him.

Bad News Bears was the first thing I thought of (after Ace Ventura for the Finkel/Einhorn stuff that would never fly). No matter how good the Pixar movies are, the one thing that has been completely lost in modern "family" films is that no one in those movies talks like real people do. Bad News Bears is kind of an extreme example but even shit like Goonies is something you never see anymore. The kids in Goonies feel like real kids because they talk the way kids actually talk (cursing, shitting on each other, fast and constantly talking over each other). BNB is almost startling when you rewatch it and there's no way in hell they would make that movie now (apart from the remake which was a giant waste of time).

I thought the IT movies did a decent job with the kid dialogue but otherwise yeah, it seems like millennial writers with their finger slipping from the pulse of youth culture trying too hard.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Waiting for the day this forum gets wiped from the server because the hosts find out how much we call each other faggots on here.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
With all the "cancel culture" "clapback" shit going on, I'm really not sure why people aren't shitting all over Tarantino. Hard R's for days in every single movie.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Back then it was some (probably accidental) mild commentary on racism. Today it would be shunned not because of the ending, but because of an agressive marketing campaign that would shout in your face THE PROTAGONIST IS BLACK AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE A MOVIE YOU'RE A RACIST WHITE SUPREMACIST like every other mediocre movie that uses that type of marketing as a crutch and criticism shield. That and because retards on the internet would eat it up and "divide the internet", like always.

That, and the catatonic woman that is useless during the whole movie, that no one seems to like :lolz:

edit: and since this is a public domain movie I post the full thing every chance I get, because it's a fucking awesome movie. Go watch it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
With all the "cancel culture" "clapback" shit going on, I'm really not sure why people aren't shitting all over Tarantino. Hard R's for days in every single movie.

retarded and faggot was pretty much standard in 80's culture and movies. don't worry, we'll get there....
i still work with old people that have no idea these are now abrasive terms. And to be fair, there are medical terms that still include retard as commonplace. FMR1 and FMR2 genes are still focal points of study. The R stands for what you think it does....

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Gods Must Be Crazy

Best movie ever! Also the sequel (IV) when he's chucked on a plane to Hong Kong and runs around clicking at cars, planes and escalators.

Who knew it could be so much fun to laugh at an african tribesman freaking out but got paid little to nothing for it all. Ahh the 80's.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I never cared for John Wayne movies but damn The Searchers is one hell of a western, one of my favs.
A couple of other good westerns are The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and Unforgiven.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
As Terry Pratchett said in his discworld series "Racism was not a considerable part of daily life in Ankh-Morpork, speciesism on the other hand, was rampant." Or something to that effect. And I think by and large thats the truth of Middle Earth as well.

I don't think that Tolkien was a racist, or even ignorant. But people don't care how enlightened a writer is, if they describe things in terms they don't like. Cancel culture isn't about enlightenment, but the empowerment of TMZ watchers.

There was definitely discrimination between the different species in the books, notably the elves against everyone else, which made the friendship between Legolas and Gimli more striking. Why did Gondor fall? Was it because of overvaluing lineal purity? And there's definitely a display of latent speciesism in Gandalf's interactions with hobbits where he expects Bilbo to be a coward, and when Bilbo shows bravery, he assumes it's because Bilbo found an enchanted ring. Gandalf leans a little hard on hobbit stereotypes. But overall, he's not a dick about it, so we give him a pass.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
*deleted Boss Nigger stuffs*

Oh man I totally forgot about these! So many blaxpoitation films...

Tropic Thunder

You know, what kills me about people shitting on Tropic Thunder the past month is that the whole purpose of RDJ's character in this film was to highlight the hypocrisy in Hollywood when it comes to racial/ethnic casting. People are dumb.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I feel American culture changed drastically last decade. South Park spoofed transgendered people as mentally ill when Mr. Garrison transitioned around 2005, and somewhere, somehow in the past seven years transgenderism exploded and suddenly if you don't completely agree with it you're a bigot.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I feel American culture changed drastically last decade. South Park spoofed transgendered people as mentally ill when Mr. Garrison transitioned around 2005, and somewhere, somehow in the past seven years transgenderism exploded and suddenly if you don't completely agree with it you're a bigot.

Shakespeare played crossdressing for laughs. Which begets modern comedies like Ladybugs, She's the Man, and Juwanna Mann. What if instead of a boy playing a girl, we get a biological male wanted to play girl's sports. Still funny?

Blackface isn't funny, but Undercover Brother is safe.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
You know, what kills me about people shitting on Tropic Thunder the past month is that the whole purpose of RDJ's character in this film was to highlight the hypocrisy in Hollywood when it comes to racial/ethnic casting. People are dumb.

People are dumb, more at 11. Context means nothing anymore.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
People are dumb, more at 11. Context means nothing anymore.

You're right. Most people are only able to ingest excerpts of shit at face value because they lack the mental faculties to observe and infer nuance. Hence why, as Lupe Fiasco said, you gotta dumb it down.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
retarded and faggot was pretty much standard in 80's culture and movies. don't worry, we'll get there....
i still work with old people that have no idea these are now abrasive terms. And to be fair, there are medical terms that still include retard as commonplace. FMR1 and FMR2 genes are still focal points of study. The R stands for what you think it does....

The hard R refers to the NIGGER word, not retard.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple

I use retarded and retard quite a bit. My wife hates it and I find myself having to justify it's legitimate usage too often.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mentally handicapped people don't like to be called retard because it turned into an insult.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use retarded and retard quite a bit. My wife hates it and I find myself having to justify it's legitimate usage too often.

it was officially removed from medical nomenclature in the late 2000's. So she may have you on a technicality...