OLD films you like... but would be shunned by todays "Standards"....

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
...Anyway... I was reading about the recent issue with "Gone With The Wind"....

With it's racial stuff and themes...

I never liked that film but if it got me thinking... I like a LOT of films that have some sort of SJW hate topic...

For example... Robinson Crusoe 1954...

I liked the story as a kid and never over thought it's themes... even today I'd watch it...

Am I a bad man for not caring?

xROTx

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Not just old films, Seen Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri?

Great film but not exactly PC lol

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
any movie with 'faggot' in there.

I might be the last man on earth who even says faggot.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've only seen Fellowship of the Ring, but man did Peter really do something there (I've watched clips of the other two on youtube)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Gods Must Be Crazy
Pantyhose Hero

any movie with 'faggot' in there.

I might be the last man on earth who even says faggot.

Quite a bit of John Hughes films has this stuff. We recently just watch Breakfast Club and there quite a bit of scene that wouldn't go to well anymore. When Bender was checking Claire and pretty sure he felt her up too.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I guess most John Wayne western movies fall into that category.

Oh, and also all the old movies with ppl smoking tobacco.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I guess most John Wayne western movies fall into that category.

Oh, and also all the old movies with ppl smoking tobacco.

I never cared for John Wayne movies but damn The Searchers is one hell of a western, one of my favs.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Weird science, revenge of the nerds, most episodes of Beavis and butthead.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
pretty much any movie in the 80's. Literally any movie.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
So will Django Unchained be shunned.

Will all period pieces be pulled?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've only seen Fellowship of the Ring, but man did Peter really do something there (I've watched clips of the other two on youtube)

When you read about Tolkien’s influences for the dwarves and event though it looks like a clear trope for the Jewish people and their disaspora, you find that he did indeed life from their story and used the German ideal for dwarves (short, big noses, gold greedy), which was also a trope for the Jews. And then ask, if Tolkien’s dwarven language was modeled on Hebrew, what about the elves and orcs? Or the language Sauron attempted to hoist on his minions (which never really caught on because Orcs are dumb). But overall, there sure weren’t many non-whites in middle earth. Still, those movies are fucking great.

Marek

Banned
Not sure I buy much of that Tolkien stuff. I mean yes, to some degree his works are like Star Wars in that the only black guy is a traitor - Lando. And the only black skinned peoples that we know about in Middle Earth are the Haradrim and they serve Sauron.

As Terry Pratchett said in his discworld series "Racism was not a considerable part of daily life in Ankh-Morpork, speciesism on the other hand, was rampant." Or something to that effect. And I think by and large thats the truth of Middle Earth as well.

I dont buy the dwarf Jewish thing for a second. The dawrf language sounds nothing like hebrew (if it was modeled after hevrew thats news to me) and, while the dwarves are presented as idiosyncratic and somewhat disagreeable in general, they are given loads of credit for bravery, artistry, general decency and humor. Hardly the grubby subterrainean Hassidic diamond cutter imagine you're kind of painting here.

Ive read every lotr related book more than once so I'm definitely calling bullshit on that.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interesting. I'll read it later.

On topic : Both Ace Ventura movies, specifically the second one. I'm not even sure I like the movies at all anymore but they're kind of mind blowingly offensive regardless.

Pet Detective’s ending with the crying game music when everyone finds out about the kicker would be completely unacceptable today

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Just a moment ago, FXX showed the Simpsons episode that parodied "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So will Django Unchained be shunned.

Will all period pieces be pulled?

There's a compelling idea making the rounds that Leo is playing later years Rick Dalton in that movie.

The theory goes that when he made Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (which I loved), he imagined Dalton as an actor on his last career legs struggling to hold on to his relevance so he was taking villain roles in TV shows as a way to stay relevant.

In the TV industry, the film posits, being a former leading man forced to take 'heavy' roles is in career torpor.

So Tarantino imagined Dalton as someone that would have taken the role in Django Unchained as a way to cling to his acting career .

It's an interesting theory. The next time you watch Django Unchained, think of it as a 'movie about a movie' and see Rick Dalton in place of Leo.

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Soul Man, Django, Blazing Saddles. Anything that drops a hard R, faggot, or gay jokes.

Also while not a movie, I always thought the ferengi in Star Trek were space jews.