Nintendo Switch

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I wouldn't say that either of us is "confused", we just seem to have different opinions on the matter, which is perfectly all right.
Could be. I wasn't sure if you meant that they would have different games for the two versions or something.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Could be. I wasn't sure if you meant that they would have different games for the two versions or something.

All right, now I understand, that would've been confused indeed. No, I didn't have anything like that in mind. I'm just a bit disappointed that Nintendo will probably abandon the Switch concept, which was being a handheld & a stationary console at the same time, in favor of a stale split between a more powerful but stationary console and a less powerful but mobile handheld. Both would use the same games, but wouldn't be connectible anymore, like in the original Switch concept.

Provided this is Big N's true intention, the production of the original Switch would be discontinued. From a financial perspective a thought-out move, after all, such a solution seems to be the consent among the majority of the Switch audience: more power and more mobility at the same time. In my opinion, though, wit & creativity would suffer from such a unimaginative division.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
All right, now I understand, that would've been confused indeed. No, I didn't have anything like that in mind. I'm just a bit disappointed that Nintendo will probably abandon the Switch concept, which was being a handheld & a stationary console at the same time, in favor of a stale split between a more powerful but stationary console and a less powerful but mobile handheld. Both would use the same games, but wouldn't be connectible anymore, like in the original Switch concept.

Provided this is Big N's true intention, the production of the original Switch would be discontinued. From a financial perspective a thought-out move, after all, such a solution seems to be the consent among the majority of the Switch audience: more power and more mobility at the same time. In my opinion, though, wit & creativity would suffer from such a unimaginative division.
I think that's highly unlikely, as a lot of the reason to upgrade the hardware is to get it to run at 1080p in portable mode. I could see (and I think it has been reported) where the cheaper version might be portable-only, but the flagship version will maintain the whole point.

The 4DS looms.
Not a chance. The motivation for the Switch in the first place was that Nintendo couldn't sustain two libraries, and development isn't getting cheaper or shorter.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Unless they can make a Switch model that rigs in under $200, which they can’t, 4DS is happening.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Unless they can make a Switch model that rigs in under $200, which they can’t, 4DS is happening.
I want to make sure I understand you before I bring the potentially unwarranted ridicule. Are you saying that you think there will be a dedicated portable that plays Switch games or a dedicated portable that plays its own games?

fake

15 Year Member
I want to make sure I understand you before I bring the potentially unwarranted ridicule. Are you saying that you think there will be a dedicated portable that plays Switch games or a dedicated portable that plays its own games?

Well the rumor is that they’re going to release a slightly beefed up Switch as well as a diet Switch. My guess is that the diet Switch is either not going to happen or is not going to be as cheap as a 3DS / traditional Nintendo portable. If any of those scenarios are true, I think they’ll release new, affordable, low-powered hardware that is its own platform and plays non-Switch games.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I think that's highly unlikely, as a lot of the reason to upgrade the hardware is to get it to run at 1080p in portable mode. I could see (and I think it has been reported) where the cheaper version might be portable-only, but the flagship version will maintain the whole point.

The upgrade announcement is expected, consequently the old Switch would become the low-cost model and would probably be sold henceforth w/o the docking base internationally, like it already is the case in Japan. That would be logical. The rumors about that new mobile-only version however only make sense, if Nintendo is going to abandon the, as you called it, whole point, i.e. the connectivity between handheld and docking base. I mean, who will want to buy a degraded handheld, if the upgraded version already offers a handheld? That's the whole point behind a Switch: it spares you the purchase of a handheld.

fakeXsound has a point there, the "diet Switch" is either not going to happen or will be released as a separate platform, playing non-Switch games, remaining only a loose connection with the Switch, like the GBA did to the GC.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nintendo doesn't have the resources to release games on two platforms. Hell, it doesn't really seem like they have the resources for one since they have been trickling out new titles and releasing a ton of remakes the past few years.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Nintendo’s new system is going to be a combination of Labo and the e-reader where both the console and the games are made of cardboard.

I for one cannot wait for some hot cardboard on cardboard action!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It seems very likely that the pro console is going to have specs that should match the ps4 pro, and the lite version will be a more portable and affordable version of the switch. I do believe that both versions will play all switch titles but the pro will have games that the other versions wont have. Namely the higher graphically fidelity 3rd party games. Nintendo first party games will most likely be available for all versions but with improved graphics on the pro. This should make it much more easier for 3rd party devs to import their games without having to worry much about hardware limitations of the regular switch.

The lite version will have more energy efficient tech that will improve upon battery life and manufacturing cost. This will most act as the replacement for the 3ds.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Picked the Final Fantasy 7 port yesterday. It’s basically the PC port, so the same issue with the overworld music restarting after every battle is there. But still, it’s great to play the game on the Switch’s screen.
$15 is right price too.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Well the rumor is that they’re going to release a slightly beefed up Switch as well as a diet Switch. My guess is that the diet Switch is either not going to happen or is not going to be as cheap as a 3DS / traditional Nintendo portable. If any of those scenarios are true, I think they’ll release new, affordable, low-powered hardware that is its own platform and plays non-Switch games.
ok. So you deserve the ridicule. The closest thing to what you're saying that has any realistic chance of happening is Nintendo releasing games on Apple Arcade.

It seems very likely that the pro console is going to have specs that should match the ps4 pro, and the lite version will be a more portable and affordable version of the switch. I do believe that both versions will play all switch titles but the pro will have games that the other versions wont have. Namely the higher graphically fidelity 3rd party games. Nintendo first party games will most likely be available for all versions but with improved graphics on the pro. This should make it much more easier for 3rd party devs to import their games without having to worry much about hardware limitations of the regular switch.

The lite version will have more energy efficient tech that will improve upon battery life and manufacturing cost. This will most act as the replacement for the 3ds.
You guys got a hold of some good stuff apparently. There are not going to be any exclusive games, upwardly or downwardly. The entire point of the Switch was to unify Nintendo's development efforts, and they're not going to give third parties the ability to make them look bad.

Nintendo’s new system is going to be a combination of Labo and the e-reader where both the console and the games are made of cardboard.
This is about as likely as dividing the platform. I'm tempted to start taking bets with these other people.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
:lolz: Poor Yoshi. Someone give him a fudgesicle and send him in the corner to play with his 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, and New 2DS XL.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Truthfully if they make a mini console with no dock, no removable joycons and take out the rumble, a 200 dollar switch is very much possible to be honest. I'm in the camp that I don't think they will release a new handheld due to the fact of using scalable tech finally.

You know they really should have just done this right after the Wii instead of trying to "test" the waters with the Wii-U.

fake

15 Year Member
Burger King: We put fries *in* the hamburger between the patty and the bun!

Yoshi: Fries are dead! Long live the Fruger! Idiots!

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Burger King: We put fries *in* the hamburger between the patty and the bun!

Yoshi: Fries are dead! Long live the Fruger! Idiots!
:confused: Your stance is more akin to Burger King getting rid of onion rings because it is too expensive to serve both fries and onion rings only to bring back onion rings two years later.

I don't see anyone disputing that there could be a portable-only Switch model, but for the life of me I can't figure out why people think it would have its own incompatible games.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
:confused: Your stance is more akin to Burger King getting rid of onion rings because it is too expensive to serve both fries and onion rings only to bring back onion rings two years later.

I don't see anyone disputing that there could be a portable-only Switch model, but for the life of me I can't figure out why people think it would have its own incompatible games.

More like they stopped selling the Big Kids meal and parents wouldn't buy a large #7 for their 6 year old.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
More like they stopped selling the Big Kids meal and parents wouldn't buy a large #7 for their 6 year old.
Except our disagreement is about the games, not the hardware, so that has nothing to do with what parents will and won't buy.