Nintendo Switch

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nintendo is a strange company. I think their output during the NES/SNES days has left me with a lasting impression about their generation of new dynamic I.p.'
which is just not realistic. They made their bed 30 years ago and have been sleeping in it ever since. One needs to come to terms with this

uh no.
Nintendo is one of the few companies that has consistently done something different. The cast of characters hasn't changed dramatically, but it offers something new with every platform.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
uh no.
Nintendo is one of the few companies that has consistently done something different. The cast of characters hasn't changed dramatically, but it offers something new with every platform.

I don't agree. Provide me with some examples of over the last 25 years if you will, I am open to a change of opinion, but right now I am quite firm in my point of view.
Sidenote: why can't they create a new ip with new characters? Splatoon is the only recent instance of something like this

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I don't agree. Provide me with some examples of over the last 25 years if you will, I am open to a change of opinion, but right now I am quite firm in my point of view.
Sidenote: why can't they create a new ip with new characters? Splatoon is the only recent instance of something like this

Back in the early Game Cube days, I would have agreed with you, but Nintendo has done a decent job of diversifying beyond their established IPs since then:

ARMS
Xenoblade
Pikmin
Rolling Western
Codename Steam
Sushi Striker
Style Savvy
Wonderful 101
Captain Rainbow
Ever Oasis
NintenDogs/Cats
BoxBoy
Chibi-Robo
Tank Troopers
Band Brothers
Rhythm Heaven
Steel Diver
Fossil Fighters
HarmoKnight
Brain Age
Hotel Dusk
Another Code

fake

15 Year Member
^ A lot of those are third party developed and published by Nintendo, so they don't count. The only one with high quality, widespread positive reception, and staying power is Pikmin, which is now nearly 20 years old.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
^ A lot of those are third party developed and published by Nintendo, so they don't count. The only one with high quality, widespread positive reception, and staying power is Pikmin, which is now nearly 20 years old.

Totally.
I have a Switch and I think it's really nice. Nintendo consoles are fun. But let's not kid ourselves
Anyway the Wiiparty games to me mark something of a classic NIntendo quality product.
But as much as I appreciate Mario, Link, Fox, Donkey Kong, Samus, Kirby, Yoshi - Nintendo invented those characters decades ago and have lived through them precariously ever since. Their first half dozen outings where exiting. That they will not make new games in the classic NIntendo vein (platform type games mostly) with completely new characters is a bit sad.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member

I don't think that distinction really matters as long as Nintendo owns the IP. Kirby and Pokemon are also technically third party developed, but I'm certain most would consider them Nintendo franchises. By your metrics, these games also definitely qualify: Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, and Band Brothers. Some games on that list are too new to know whether they'll have staying power, but I'm sure we'll see sequels to some of them, particularly ARMS.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't think that distinction really matters as long as Nintendo owns the IP. Kirby and Pokemon are also technically third party developed, but I'm certain most would consider them Nintendo franchises. By your metrics, these games also definitely qualify: Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, and Band Brothers. Some games on that list are too new to know whether they'll have staying power, but I'm sure we'll see sequels to some of them, particularly ARMS.

This is not what I was argumenting

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
This is not what I was argumenting

It sounds to me like your specific issue has more to do with current consumer trends rather than Nintendo themselves. Platformers in general aren't nearly as popular as they used to be, especially the kinds that Nintendo became famous for. These days, the most popular types of platformers are either "metroidvanias" or linear puzzle platformers (Celeste/Super Meat Boy), and most of them are being developed by indie studios. The genres most relevant today are first person shooters, third person shooters, looter-shooters (Destiny/The Division), battle royale, open-world action RPGs, and Minecraft clones. Most of those genres are ones that Nintendo has little or no experience in, but they've been trying to do something about that recently. It's no coincidence that Splatoon, their most successful new IP, just so happens to be a third person shooter.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
It sounds to me like your specific issue has more to do with current consumer trends rather than Nintendo themselves. Platformers in general aren't nearly as popular as they used to be, especially the kinds that Nintendo became famous for. These days, the most popular types of platformers are either "metroidvanias" or linear puzzle platformers (Celeste/Super Meat Boy), and most of them are being developed by indie studios. The genres most relevant today are first person shooters, third person shooters, looter-shooters (Destiny/The Division), battle royale, open-world action RPGs, and Minecraft clones. Most of those genres are ones that Nintendo has little or no experience in, but they've been trying to do something about that recently. It's no coincidence that Splatoon, their most successful new IP, just so happens to be a third person shooter.

This is a good approximation to what I think is problematic for Nintendo. They truly have become Disney of the videogame world, resting on their laurels, building on their legends. That is fine. But I am able to envision a far more dynamic Nintendo who not only builds consoles but also new worlds and characters which populate them. They had that ability once and I sincerely think they still do. I would go as far as to say that it is almost their duty to do so, else the console niche they have always defended stagnates moreso. Maybe they are the unwilling custodians of the flame. But they are singularly equipped to not only continue tradition but simultaneously change history
(a lot of hyperbole I know)

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Pokémon Sword and Shield...

Not much revealed but i'm liking what i'm seeing here. I'm going with that fire bunny, i feel his design is the best among the starters. And the graphics look really nice. Very colorful game with lots of good looking environments.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What will they call the enhanced edition? Pokémon Helmet?

Ij20ynT.jpg

You heard it here first.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It's amazing how far Nintendo has come.
We now have a platform with :

Pokemon
&
Peach Ball

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
At first I was like, cool, a new Toe Jam and Earl game. Then I checked it out... pass. The game looks like it’d be entertaining for about 10 minutes.