Nintendo Switch

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, the button dpad stuff is bullshit, but there are ways to fix that now.

c3185e71ecad2ea802cf85a534e06318.jpg

I spy a Hot Rod.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup, third party Rodimus Prime. The only time I went full retard and bought an overpriced 3rd party plastic doll.

5176WyaAWjL.jpg

-SD-

Camel Slug
Nintendo announced Super Mario Maker 2 in today’s Direct...

Now featuring slopes, underwater stages and assets from 3D Land/World.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Nintendo Direct just came and went
Was pretty meh if you ask me
3ds is dead and buried by the looks of things.
Astral Chain by Platinum Games did perk my interest I must say.
Link's Awakening remake just seemed so lame to me. I was expecting more.

No F-Zero, Pilot Wings, Starfox etc. No new franchises. Just mostly Fisher Price Nintendo doing what they have been for the past bajillion years.
At least my kids will have fun with the Switch.

Last edited:

-SD-

Camel Slug
Ooh, I completely missed the part about Link’s Awakening... it’s definitely one of my favourite Zelda games. I’m not too sure about the art style at the moment though.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Good. Hopefully they include a filter this time to weed out all the player made stages that are not really stages. My main gripe with mario maker was the frustration involved trying to find fun, challenging, stages. Everything seemed to be music related, or just created to be near impossible.

Also, some SMB 2 assets would be cool.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Ooh, I completely missed the part about Link’s Awakening... it’s definitely one of my favourite Zelda games. I’m not too sure about the art style at the moment though.

The art style seems generic by today's standards. I had heard a rumour of a 2d Zelda and I guess it was a reference to this. For some reason I was expecting pixel art and when the announcement kicked off I was grinning in anticipation. By the end I was groaning in dissappointment

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'm happy for Link's Awakening. The style is simplistic, which works for the top-down iso view.
LA was my second favourite of the franchise, next to ALTTP, so I'm looking forward to seeing how different this is going to be.

Other than that, this Direct was pretty snoozey. The FF9 release and FF7's release date announcement is cool. More footage of Bloodstained was neat-o, but I still have my doubts about that game. I dont' have time to build shit in Mario Maker, so I'm not the market for that game, but it's all good if you're into that kinda thing.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This also doesn't suck. Option to play in retro top down style is neat.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

that looks terrible.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Astral Chain and Deus ex Machina look good.

Also, just an FYI Target is doing a buy 2 get 1 on games...but looks like it excludes most first party titles...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

Not a fan of these games largely based on community contribution. I'm not creative nor dedicated enough to play these games so I'll pass.

Anyone know if the FF9 and FF7 games would get physical releases? Amazon says nothing on even a download.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That trailer of Link at sea got me pretty hyped but gotta agree that the art style looks generic. Still it's a top down zelda so i'll play it anyways. Astral Chain was a nice surprise and Deus ex Machina looks like its coming along good.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The art-style of Link's Awakening looks similar to Tunic. But perhaps a bit more shiny objects.
Not sure what other games do this style of art, but it's more simplistic than generic. Generic would be every fucking ultra realistic looking game out there.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
This also doesn't suck. Option to play in retro top down style is neat.

Yeah it would be my only incentive to play the Switch version.

Link's Awakening is also a big deal for me because it marks the return of classic Zelda on a home console since LttP (The 4 Swords doesn't count). Graphics look fine. Looks like LBW in HD to me.

Astral Chains is a nice surprise. A bit wary about Oninaki after how Lost Sphere turned out. Yoshi / Daemon x Machina demo being available now is a nice touch.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The art-style of Link's Awakening looks similar to Tunic. But perhaps a bit more shiny objects.
Not sure what other games do this style of art, but it's more simplistic than generic. Generic would be every fucking ultra realistic looking game out there.

Maybe generic is a little strong. But it's definitely indistinguishable from some of the other pretenders.
Things like this (which ironically are heavily inspired by Zelda):
oceanhorn-guide-01-1-.jpg
This style of graphics are the equivalent of prerendered graphics of yore. You catch my drift somewhat?

Edit: I am bewildered that the larger companies don't have pixel artists working for them. 2d is a real thing once again thanks to indie studios' endeavours so it should stand to reason that companies such as Capcom, Nintendo, Sega, Namco-Bandai should have some such divisions amongst their files

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Mario Maker 2 should've been out a year ago.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The art style for Link's Awakening is great. Link Between Worlds' art style was terrible. LA's jives with the history of the game. I like how the characters are simple but there are a lot of nice lighting and shadow effecting going on.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Maybe generic is a little strong. But it's definitely indistinguishable from some of the other pretenders.
Things like this (which ironically are heavily inspired by Zelda):
View attachment 53200
This style of graphics are the equivalent of prerendered graphics of yore. You catch my drift somewhat?

Edit: I am bewildered that the larger companies don't have pixel artists working for them. 2d is a real thing once again thanks to indie studios' endeavours so it should stand to reason that companies such as Capcom, Nintendo, Sega, Namco-Bandai should have some such divisions amongst their files

Ah yeah, I getcha. I never heard of Oceanhorn, it looks like a Zelda clone. But you're right, ironic that this game's look is very similar to Link's Awakening.

As for 2D, I completely agree. It's baffling that these bigger companies don't have veteran 2D artists on-hand, or at least, any inclination to produce 2D games. This 2.5D, or whatever the kids are calling it these days, feels so soul-less, especially with remakes. There are a few games that pull it off well, (R-type Dimensions comes to mind), but I'd rather see these classic franchise updates be 2D drawn rather than trying to fit 3D art into 2D gameplay.

That being said, I bet DotEmu would have made a beautiful Link's Awakening. Fully 2D fluid animation, drawn cartoony style that is better than the look of Minish Cap (which was a very beautifully animated game). It's not like the gameplay needs that much updating, so really it comes down to the art and current gen resolution output. Nintendo should do what they did with Metroid Prime 4, stop production, give it to a reputable studio, and restart the project from scratch.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I'd rather have literal Wind Waker style graphics than what was revealed.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I like the art style and think it has enough charm. Since they opened with the animated intro, it’s a little disappointing we didn’t get a style closer to that, but it’s about 100x better than a link between worlds.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No Metroid, just because it's not a Miyamoto franchise, it's treated as an orphan. Well, with Yokoi-san's demise, it also seems true.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I like the art style and think it has enough charm. Since they opened with the animated intro, it’s a little disappointing we didn’t get a style closer to that, but it’s about 100x better than a link between worlds.
This is where I'm at, I'll pick it up as I love Link's Awakening, but ill still keep the GBC version for it's charm