Nintendo Switch

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Except our disagreement is about the games, not the hardware, so that has nothing to do with what parents will and won't buy.

What are you talking about? My entire point is that they need to fill the void of sub-$200 hardware - something that parents will easily buy for their 6-12 year olds, multiple times even, as kids lose and break their portables often. Nintendo can't do this, even with a portable-only Switch, in my opinion. Therefore, they need a different, cheaper, lower-powered hardware offering.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What are you talking about? My entire point is that they need to fill the void of sub-$200 hardware - something that parents will easily buy for their 6-12 year olds, multiple times even, as kids lose and break their portables often. Nintendo can't do this, even with a portable-only Switch, in my opinion. Therefore, they need a different, cheaper, lower-powered hardware offering.

I'm curious if they are looking at the mobile phone market, I don't see any kids around me with a 3ds, I understand it's popularity is dying down, but if I was Nintendo, I would focus on a switch knuckled down instead of trying to fight the "instant gratification" of the mobile phone game industry right now. I could be totally off base though.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm curious if they are looking at the mobile phone market, I don't see any kids around me with a 3ds, I understand it's popularity is dying down, but if I was Nintendo, I would focus on a switch knuckled down instead of trying to fight the "instant gratification" of the mobile phone game industry right now. I could be totally off base though.

Yeah, I think the big barrier with mobile is the interface. I've never played a 3D phone game that I thought controlled well, so I can't imagine them pulling off something like Mario 3D Land on mobile. Otherwise, it would be pretty ideal, save for the fact that they usually make a small profit on hardware sales. I think they were just testing the waters with stuff like Pokemon Go and Mario Run or whatever it's called. Clearly it went well since they're doing Animal Crossing and I think a few others now. But I think it will be another 5 years or so before they have a real solid presence in mobile, if they do jump all the way in.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The idea of a beefed up switch is nice to toy with, perhaps it will happen. The replacement for the 3DS being a switch with less functionality like no dock, removable controllers, reduced screen possibly? Sounds like a great idea, software compatibility across the cheaper handheld for the younger audience and those with the current and potentially new switch is or should be essential.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
What are you talking about? My entire point is that they need to fill the void of sub-$200 hardware - something that parents will easily buy for their 6-12 year olds, multiple times even, as kids lose and break their portables often.
I think everyone agrees with this.

Nintendo can't do this, even with a portable-only Switch, in my opinion. Therefore, they need a different, cheaper, lower-powered hardware offering.
This is the part I was trying to get you to clarify before. Now I understand your logic, though I still strongly disagree with it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Yeah, I think the big barrier with mobile is the interface. I've never played a 3D phone game that I thought controlled well, so I can't imagine them pulling off something like Mario 3D Land on mobile. Otherwise, it would be pretty ideal, save for the fact that they usually make a small profit on hardware sales. I think they were just testing the waters with stuff like Pokemon Go and Mario Run or whatever it's called. Clearly it went well since they're doing Animal Crossing and I think a few others now. But I think it will be another 5 years or so before they have a real solid presence in mobile, if they do jump all the way in.
I’ve had pretty good luck with Bluetooth controllers, specifically Mfi on iOS. Nintendo could release their own controller for their games and make their hardware profit there perhaps. That would be a boon for mobile gaming in general, because I think Nintendo could drive a critical mass to adopt such controllers.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nintendo does really need to have a portable in the $150 (or less?) area to keep parents happy who aren't willing to drop $300 on their 7 year old's toy, but it absolutely has to be a cheaper smaller Switch somehow.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Soooo.....

I have been out of the loop on video games since the early days of the Wii. I have spent a little time with the Switch and enjoy it and I have recently been thinking it might be time to ditch the NGX (you see those eBay prices? Ballin'.)

So, I have a few questions though. Main reason is that I think it might be a fun thing to do with the 4 year old as he gets as little older.

My main concerns are quite simply if he will be able to work the damn thing. Maybe this is my inner old man talking but I think back to getting an SNES when I was 6. Plug in cartridge, turn on. Now there are discs and menus and downloads and whatever other nonsense. Am I overestimating how complicated it actually is for a kid? Anyone with human children say 5-8 years old care to weigh in?

My other concern is that we don't currently have home internet. Are the games even playable if I don't do the initial updates?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My daughter is 7, her only real issue is getting used to the various controller configurations on the thing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Soooo.....

I have been out of the loop on video games since the early days of the Wii. I have spent a little time with the Switch and enjoy it and I have recently been thinking it might be time to ditch the NGX (you see those eBay prices? Ballin'.)

So, I have a few questions though. Main reason is that I think it might be a fun thing to do with the 4 year old as he gets as little older.

My main concerns are quite simply if he will be able to work the damn thing. Maybe this is my inner old man talking but I think back to getting an SNES when I was 6. Plug in cartridge, turn on. Now there are discs and menus and downloads and whatever other nonsense. Am I overestimating how complicated it actually is for a kid? Anyone with human children say 5-8 years old care to weigh in?

My other concern is that we don't currently have home internet. Are the games even playable if I don't do the initial updates?
Menus are simple enough with large icons and limited options. Games like Rayman Legends use one save per profile instead of having multiple save slots per game, so making your own if you want your save files separate is beneficial.

Internet isn't necessary unless the game has a large dependency on online features. Games work out of the box as expected, with limits on multiplayer dependent on your version.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Soooo.....

If you still have a Wii, I have a Sesame Street game I'd be willing to send your son, assuming you're in the US.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Thanks for the replies guys, it might be something I look into for Christmas 2019.

If you still have a Wii, I have a Sesame Street game I'd be willing to send your son, assuming you're in the US.

Thanks for the generous offer but the Wii is long gone.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Soooo.....

I got a nephew that is around that age range that plays on the switch. He plays both zelda and mario without any issues. I was kinda impressed since Zeldas control felt overwhelming at times for me.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That’s kind of cool, but it’s cardboard FFS. My kids would sit on it, spill a drink on it, chew on it, all within the first hour...

I don’t get this Labo shit...