Nintendo Switch

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm not a Metroid fan, but the Kirby and Yoshi games looked good to me. I'll probably buy both of those, assuming they don't release at £45.

lely1103

n00b
I doubt a fan made game would dampen or hurt sales of an official metroid game.
Plus, I definitely have to get at least the Mipha amiibo. I keep swearing them off and they keep pulling me back in.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
and there i thought the new 3ds metroid was whole new game. so it's just a remake of return of samus. which is not a problem. remakes are always welcome considering metroid zero mission was awesome. but it'll be funny if this turns out not to be as good as AM2R.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Picked up ARMS today. This game is hard as hell on Level 4...which is what you have to beat to unlocked the Ranked section. Pretty fun, though. Not Mario Kart or Splatoon good, but worth playing.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Samus Returns looks hideous.

Any word if it's Retro Studios making Prime 4?

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Samus Returns looks hideous.

Any word if it's Retro Studios making Prime 4?

Samus Returns looks bad, but apparently it plays pretty well according to the previews I've read.

Prime 4 is NOT developed by Retro. It's being developed by a new studio formed for the project. A lot of the Retro guys from the Prime days left to form Armature anyways, so it's not exactly the same studio it was in the past.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Picked up ARMS today. This game is hard as hell on Level 4...which is what you have to beat to unlocked the Ranked section. Pretty fun, though. Not Mario Kart or Splatoon good, but worth playing.

I am on the fence of grabbing it right away. I tried the test punch and it was pretty cool, but not sure it would be one that I'd play all the time. I might wait to see if it goes on sale and then snag it up with the Best Buy Gamer's Club discount on top of it. I definitely am picking up Splatoon 2 on release date. I waited too long to get the Wii U to enjoy most of the Splatfests in the original.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That's my problem with ARMS, looks like I'd play it about as infrequently as Mario Kart since I refuse to bother with the online bullshit mechanics. It just seems like a thin one player game, maybe a bit less thin than Street Fighter due to arm collecting, but that can only go far. At least with SF2 you have more characters to learn and modes to exploit as well and it costs notably less.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Yeah, it definitely is. It does force you to get better, which is good, I guess, but sometimes it still feels exploitable (the boss tends to be highly susceptible to jumping throws in my experience, for instance). The base gameplay is very fun. Minigames suck balls.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
8Bitdo-Controller-switch.jpg

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
That's my problem with ARMS, looks like I'd play it about as infrequently as Mario Kart since I refuse to bother with the online bullshit mechanics. It just seems like a thin one player game, maybe a bit less thin than Street Fighter due to arm collecting, but that can only go far. At least with SF2 you have more characters to learn and modes to exploit as well and it costs notably less.

Mario Kart is one of the few games I love to play online. What are the "bullshit mechanics" you mentioned?

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object

Mario Kart was one of my go-to games for a while until I got knee deep in Disgaea 5. (Which even with that I'm starting to feel the heavy grind coming.)

ARMS...I want it, but like you said, I feel it's going to be one of those games I play infrequently. Plus with Splatoon 2 coming next month, I know where all my focus is going to be for a few months. I feel it's one of those ones I can wait to buy down the line. Starting to feel like I rushed to buy a few of the games too early too. (Bomberman...I'm looking at you!)

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Mario Kart is one of the few games I love to play online. What are the "bullshit mechanics" you mentioned?

Not to Mario Kart 8 specific. I don't find much pleasure in most online gaming. Usually dominated by cheats, trolls, verbal diarrhea, etc. Grew up playing alone or in room with friends, still prefer it that way mostly.

My only gripes with mario kart like many is the blue shell you can't opt out of, but also the game has degenerated into the randomness of Mario Party mechanics of winning or losing.

wju2004: Pretty much, definitely not getting Splatoon here for reasons above basically. Right now I'm fairly deep into Rebel Galaxy and Everspace on PC, Castlevania SOTN off and on as well as Lego City Switch. With Fate Extella, and a few others staggering weeks apart out on Switch I'm in a good place.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Not to Mario Kart 8 specific. I don't find much pleasure in most online gaming. Usually dominated by cheats, trolls, verbal diarrhea, etc. Grew up playing alone or in room with friends, still prefer it that way mostly.

My only gripes with mario kart like many is the blue shell you can't opt out of, but also the game has degenerated into the randomness of Mario Party mechanics of winning or losing.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think that is what makes Mario Kart interesting online. A good player will come out on top more often than not, but everyone has a chance. A track like Baby Park is absolute chaos online, anyone has as much chance of coming first as last, but the majority of tracks reward skill. I think I've played about 150 online races so far, and looking at my stats I have come in the top 3 just over 50% of the time.

To each their own though. I'm not a big fan of online gaming either really.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
wju2004: Pretty much, definitely not getting Splatoon here for reasons above basically. Right now I'm fairly deep into Rebel Galaxy and Everspace on PC, Castlevania SOTN off and on as well as Lego City Switch. With Fate Extella, and a few others staggering weeks apart out on Switch I'm in a good place.

That is part of why I don't game online a lot either. Always a lot of cheating, etc, but Splatoon is just one of those games that I really enjoyed playing online. Sometimes I did well, sometimes not so much. I haven't picked up Lego City yet. Probably will wait for a sale at around $40 at Best Buy and snatch it up. Guessing it must be pretty good though?

Sad part is, my CMVS should probably be coming shortly after Splatoon arrives, so guess I will have to play Splatoon at work and my CMVS at home...at least once I get more than just one game for it. lol

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Heads up everyone, the new 3.0 Switch firmware allows you to use Universal Brooks PCB! Just hold 1K when you insert!20170620_142613_zps5fq1vkll.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OMG this is great news! Thanks for the heads up!!!! Let me return the favor! Let's meatz unline and wrekt havoc with your face on the pavement!!!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That is part of why I don't game online a lot either. Always a lot of cheating, etc, but Splatoon is just one of those games that I really enjoyed playing online. Sometimes I did well, sometimes not so much. I haven't picked up Lego City yet. Probably will wait for a sale at around $40 at Best Buy and snatch it up. Guessing it must be pretty good though?

Sad part is, my CMVS should probably be coming shortly after Splatoon arrives, so guess I will have to play Splatoon at work and my CMVS at home...at least once I get more than just one game for it. lol

Both of you I know what you mean, but I guess I've been at it so long I'm just kind of over it unless it's a collaborative type online thing these days for the most part.

Lego City I would have waited on sale too, and I got lucky. Some (thief?) took a sealed one about a month ago into half price books and they sold it for 1/2 off, and I had a coupon, and it made it sealed for $23 out the door. I'm glad I have it, it is worth it. Outside of the initial load into the world map at start it's not bad unlike the pain of the WiiU original I hear. Very fun, good joke value, heaps to do, and so much more useful and amusing things to unlock and find so it doesn't feel like yet another GTA jerkoff clone I'm fed up with.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Heads up everyone, the new 3.0 Switch firmware allows you to use Universal Brooks PCB! Just hold 1K when you insert!

Nice. Just tried it out with my VLX and usf2, and it worked great. Glad I don't need to buy that switch stick and I might think about buying some Switch neo geo ports now.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Nice. Just tried it out with my VLX and usf2, and it worked great. Glad I don't need to buy that switch stick and I might think about buying some Switch neo geo ports now.

Very interesting...I might have to look into one of these for my TE2+ then.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Speaking of fighting games, ARMS for Switch had as big of a first week in Japan than Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V combined

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
For any of you who bought the Switch, if you still have the box, can you post the bottom panel with the barcode? I need to see what the US and EU box (gray and neon joycon versions) looks like and I can't find any clear enough images of the bottom panels on those boxes.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I can take a picture later if needed, but the US box is in English, French, and Spanish if that is your concern.