Nintendo Switch

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The online service sounds like its every bit as bad as had been feared. That alone could sink the long-term prospects for Splatoon 2.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
So apparently people have discovered that some Switch kiosks are using a PS3 to play the video that shows on the screen.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
So apparently people have discovered that some Switch kiosks are using a PS3 to play the video that shows on the screen.

I wonder how that works? I'm assuming it's just being ran as a movie player but will a PS3 fire up when power is detected and immediately play the disc without any PS3 splash screen etc?

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
The online service sounds like its every bit as bad as had been feared. That alone could sink the long-term prospects for Splatoon 2.

I don't really see it killing the long-term of Splatoon 2. Honestly, as poorly as the Wii U sold, Splatoon was still a major success. They are doing 2 years of Splatfest instead of just one.

I do see it hurting team play though..and really hoping maybe they fix this disaster before it gets too late, but knowing Nintendo...I'm not holding my breath.

Still looking forward to the game overall though.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I don't really see it killing the long-term of Splatoon 2. Honestly, as poorly as the Wii U sold, Splatoon was still a major success. They are doing 2 years of Splatfest instead of just one.

I do see it hurting team play though..and really hoping maybe they fix this disaster before it gets too late, but knowing Nintendo...I'm not holding my breath.

Still looking forward to the game overall though.

Some how I didnt pay attention and just now found out splatoon 2 is single player... the Wii version was 2 player, so the only way I can play with the kids is to buy another copy.... kinda shitty :-/ I miss the DS when it would let you use one cart and play mutilplayer games still.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Splatoon 2 feels like an expansion pack for the original so far.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Capcom considers Ultra Street Fighter II a "smash hit" and is preparing multiple new Switch titles.

Almost half a million sold on a brand new system in roughly 2 months since launch. Not bad for yet another Street Fighter II update, especially at $40.

Roughly 1/10 Switch owners worldwide bought the game.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Capcom considers Ultra Street Fighter II a "smash hit" and is preparing multiple new Switch titles.

Almost half a million sold on a brand new system in roughly 2 months since launch. Not bad for yet another Street Fighter II update, especially at $40.

Defintely surprising but also let's still take it as it's Capcom with a grain of salt. They've said one thing and done another to Nintendo systems for 20 years now. I hope they're being honest, but at the least I could see them go cheap and just port over finally MMLegacy 2 and that Disney Afternoon line-up NES pack as well.

It's not bad they pulled that many and was during their quarter, the game didn't come out at the start of those 90 days either so I wonder how many days were left in their financial quarter it moved that many. 450K over say 80 days is impressive, but if it were over 40 days it would be even more so.

...and Namco Museum. I want it, but $30 is just too steep for a small bundle of games on a download only. It barely has more than the PS3 bundle they did a few years back and it was maybe like $10. If that came out on a physical copy I'd buy it though. It appears you can get it, so it'll be some collectard shit storm, on a real disc but it seems to be some pack-in with a custom $150 leather carrying case for the system I saw in a story yesterday or day before.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
...and Namco Museum. I want it, but $30 is just too steep for a small bundle of games on a download only. It barely has more than the PS3 bundle they did a few years back and it was maybe like $10. If that came out on a physical copy I'd buy it though. It appears you can get it, so it'll be some collectard shit storm, on a real disc but it seems to be some pack-in with a custom $150 leather carrying case for the system I saw in a story yesterday or day before.

I'm the same. I really want it but 」30 is way too steep. I'd pay that for a physical copy, but not digital.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it on the Japanese eShop. Worked out at 」24 from there, which was just cheap enough to make me go for it.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nintendo's Q2 2016 vs Q2 2017

DFp0XyiUwAA363F.jpg

Switch is still heavily supply constrained but it has made all the difference in the world. The Wii U is dead and the 3DS, while still healthy, is far below its peak.

Hopefully by the end of the year they can ramp production back up. The global NAND shortage really hit them where it hurts -- specifically, using the same chips as the iPhone.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm the same. I really want it but 」30 is way too steep. I'd pay that for a physical copy, but not digital.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it on the Japanese eShop. Worked out at 」24 from there, which was just cheap enough to make me go for it.

Good find for you then. I'm just going to pass on it unless they do a 50% off sale some day in the future, or if it comes out on physical media in Japan and then I'll import it like I did with I Am Setsuna.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'll get Namco Museum DL. As much as I like Physical releases, I really like having the games ready to swap. I've been playing Cave Story a lot as of late and I switch here and there to turfies but prolly would swap with Puyo Tetris if I've gotten the DL version instead of the cart, same goes for Mario Kart.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Already beat the Splatoon 2 single player campaign. Wasn't all that hard and might go back to find all the scrolls at some point. Haven't gotten to play a whole lot of multiplayer and no salmon runs quite yet. I can definitely see how it feels like an expansion for certain, but still enjoy it quite a bit.

Haven't gotten around to playing my copy of Cave Story as of yet, but definitely need to.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Apparently Amazon (Spain) let the cat out that RIME for Switch (apology?) for no price increase appears to be bringing a collectors kit release to the system which has a few items involved (art book, cd, etc type stuff.)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Switch is still heavily supply constrained but it has made all the difference in the world.

Yeah, they raffle the last remaining Switches now... http://kotaku.com/switch-sales-are-causing-problems-in-japan-1797326304

Edit: Here's an informative article about the NAND shortage Famicomcommander mentioned (source: allaboutcircuits.com).

The current financial troubles of electronics conglomerate, Toshiba, is one of the likely contributions to the shortage of NAND flash memory. Toshiba is the second largest supplier of flash memory in the global market (second only to Samsung) and also the first company to begin producing NAND flash memory. The company has also struggled with the production of 3D NAND memory, further impacting the company.

However, Toshiba's woes stem from the acquisition of a company to build nuclear power plants in the USA. The project resulted in the overrun of construction costs, accounting scandals, legal actions, unhappy stockholders, and billions of dollars in debt for the company.

As a result, Toshiba has recently announced that it will be selling off the company's semiconductor division which produces NAND memory. Likely bidders include Western Digital, Micron Technology, and SK Hynix.

Samsung's recall of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone also contributed to the global shortage, as millions of devices had to be returned and replaced in the market, along with each devices flash memory unit.

Last edited:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Have anyone bought Overcooked? I wanted to buy this but after comments/digital foundry that it has framerate issues etc. I am waiting that it will be updated first. This trend is stupid that games are released buggy and updated later. I kinda understand for games COD,Fallout etc. which has much competition and arriving before holidays/other big games will make so much more money etc. but with Overcooked it is like one year old game that it would not matter if it arrived to eshop next month.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Have anyone bought Overcooked? I wanted to buy this but after comments/digital foundry that it has framerate issues etc. I am waiting that it will be updated first. This trend is stupid that games are released buggy and updated later. I kinda understand for games COD,Fallout etc. which has much competition and arriving before holidays/other big games will make so much more money etc. but with Overcooked it is like one year old game that it would not matter if it arrived to eshop next month.

I played that game on PS4 last year It was 5am during a 24 hour gaming marathon with 3 other people and it stressed me the hell out. I don't think I could ever bring myself to play it again.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Already beat the Splatoon 2 single player campaign. Wasn't all that hard and might go back to find all the scrolls at some point. Haven't gotten to play a whole lot of multiplayer and no salmon runs quite yet. I can definitely see how it feels like an expansion for certain, but still enjoy it quite a bit.

Haven't gotten around to playing my copy of Cave Story as of yet, but definitely need to.

The boss stages in Splatoon 2 are pretty awesome. The regular levels kind of drag sometimes, but man, the boss fights make up for it. I was tempted to quit playing the game going through the first set of stages and then I got to the toaster and went whoa alright I can dig it. Others have been good too.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Anybody play NBA Playgrounds? I noticed they added Larry Bird on there recently and keep adding more. I wanted to know if it was a fun game. Also, are there more arcade style sports games out there? I miss playing NFL Street and NFL Tour.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Hate to be a buzz killington but what other options in the fighting genre do they have for the Switch? If they put Street Fighter 3rd strike or Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary it would have been a smash hit also.

Probably every Switch user purchased this game since there was nothing else to buy.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Capcom considers Ultra Street Fighter II a "smash hit"

I have bought HD Remix for the 360 and I've instantly regretted the purchase. How is it possible that even now people think what Udon has done to the original graphics is OK in any way, shape or form? I can't stand the updated sprites. That western faux-manga style just gets on my nerves. It's like Dreamwave Comics way back when people thought westernized manga look was actually cool. It wasn't.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
The boss stages in Splatoon 2 are pretty awesome. The regular levels kind of drag sometimes, but man, the boss fights make up for it. I was tempted to quit playing the game going through the first set of stages and then I got to the toaster and went whoa alright I can dig it. Others have been good too.

I have to agree with you there. I felt, at times, like I was just trying to push through some of those stages. Given, it did give me a taste of a few of the other weapons and how to use them. Never would have used the dualies if not for playing the single player. Now I like them. (The roller is my go to weapon though.)

The bosses are good and I liked the ending. Hoping they do something with the Squid Sisters in this game to tie in with Pearl & Marina. I'm sure it will probably be the last splatfest, but I don't think that will even be a competition.

Still need to catch when they do a Salmon Run. I tried to play a few days ago and the servers were down for that update. Been too busy the past few days to sit down and try to play. Got 4 days off now and with the impending Splatfest, I will likely be playing more again.