Nintendo Switch

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, hardware is an issue, a real handicap, even with the pro controller...at least for me but fuck it, I'll just keep on playing while there's matches to be had, cool handlheld for sure, if only Capcom would make a special controller for the tablet, two sliders with a nice dpad and 6 buttons like the Saturn pad would be nice. I think the 3DS XL D-pad is pretty decent, played SFIV and Tekken with it and it was very responsive, precise. Would be nice having something with that micro-switched tech, one can dream...

Edit: There's still no perfect handlheld for fighters aside from NGPC.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Nintendo just decided to do away with game manuals on the Switch for some reason. I think for Switch games they should include manuals for all the different configurations you can play the thing. And games like Zelda that have lots of menus and actions, a manual would still be worth having.

Speaking of different ways to play, I bought USF2 over the weekend and been enjoying it. Played it single player with the pro controller and gotta agree with the people saying that the d-pad is bad for this game. Then I played it with a buddy in table top mode with one joy con each and it plays a lot better that way. Handheld mode was probably worst for me but it still plays decent.
XB1 and PS4 games haven't had instruction booklets for the entire time they've been out, so Nintendo was kind of the last holdout. They add to the production cost of the game and people don't rely on them like 20 years ago, so I don't blame them, overall.

Single joycon play for any game is pretty difficult for any period of time, IMO. It was manageable with Bomberman (though imprecise on the directionals) but I hated it for Mario Kart, and I can't imagine trying to play a fighting game with them. The single joycon idea sounds good but is much harder to put into practice effectively.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's a gimmicky POS, I wish they just get their heads out of their asses and make some decent peripherals already. The Pro controller is a POS compared to the WiiU pro and Wii classic...I don't understand. Fakken Nintendo.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
It's a gimmicky POS, I wish they just get their heads out of their asses and make some decent peripherals already. The Pro controller is a POS compared to the WiiU pro and Wii classic...I don't understand. Fakken Nintendo.

True. Or some third party usb dongle to plug my sticks..:( really want play some SS2T but i know in the end my real fight will be with the joycon..

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
XB1 and PS4 games haven't had instruction booklets for the entire time they've been out, so Nintendo was kind of the last holdout. They add to the production cost of the game and people don't rely on them like 20 years ago, so I don't blame them, overall.

Single joycon play for any game is pretty difficult for any period of time, IMO. It was manageable with Bomberman (though imprecise on the directionals) but I hated it for Mario Kart, and I can't imagine trying to play a fighting game with them. The single joycon idea sounds good but is much harder to put into practice effectively.

Some PS4 / XB1 still have manuals / maps.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Anyone here playing USF2 notice that with the classic graphics enabled and playing arcade mode that the boarders are really off? It looks like the front cover artwork oddly placed and framed and is different from the online mode (has normal text boarders when playing online).

Arcade Mode:
Spoiler:

Ultra Street Fighter 2 (Switch) boarder issue (Arcade Mode).jpg

Online Mode:
Spoiler:

Ultra Street Fighter 2 (Switch) boarder issue (Online Mode).jpg

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Anyone here playing USF2 notice that with the classic graphics enabled and playing arcade mode that the boarders are really off? It looks like the front cover artwork oddly placed and framed and is different from the online mode (has normal text boarders when playing online).

Arcade Mode:

Online Mode:

Yeah, I noticed that and thought maybe the day one online update broke something. I can't imagine that's the border they intended having because it looks awful and the "Ultra" border is used everywhere else. I'm not holding my breath for it to ever get fixed unfortunately.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I bet in a few years they'll release the switch's 2DS equivalent: a consolidated switch without the portable functionality.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Couldn't resist anymore, got USF2. Is it me or does the hit count take a while to show up? i mean, takes longer than its suppose to.
maybe is just me.
there's no scanline option on original version?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Couldn't resist anymore, got USF2. Is it me or does the hit count take a while to show up? i mean, takes longer than its suppose to.
maybe is just me.
there's no scanline option on original version?
I have resisted so far :D Are you happy with the game? Yesterday I was playing SS2X on my supergun. Is the Switch version a disappontment in comparison with the arcade original?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Pokken Tournament is getting a 'deluxe' Switch port, which is due for release in September. I missed this one on the Wii U, so I might give it a go.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Pokken Tournament is getting a 'deluxe' Switch port, which is due for release in September. I missed this one on the Wii U, so I might give it a go.

Me as well. Missed this on the last system so will pick it up on Switch.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm in for that one too since I sold off that abysmal WiiU turd about the time MK8 came out. Anything they decide it's about time to make a real run of and money on from the failed WiiU on Switch I'm in support of. Maybe next we'll see Starfox Zero and Xenoblade. Big production 1st/2nd party titles that didn't get their due just because the WiiU was doomed from the beginning and has a tiny user base the Switch looks to surpass within a year.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Was curious if anyone has had to send in their joycons to be fixed?

I was playing Disgaea 5 and my A button randomly stopped working. I turned the system off and on and it resets, but then after a few minutes, it cuts out again. Then it started hitting the A button on its own over and over. This is all while they are connected to the console.

I know there were issues with the left joycon not staying connected while separated, but usually keep them attached. They should still be under warranty, but I think I'll call Nintendo first before just starting the repair process (unless someone has any tips.)

Thanks!

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Was curious if anyone has had to send in their joycons to be fixed?

I was playing Disgaea 5 and my A button randomly stopped working. I turned the system off and on and it resets, but then after a few minutes, it cuts out again. Then it started hitting the A button on its own over and over. This is all while they are connected to the console.

I know there were issues with the left joycon not staying connected while separated, but usually keep them attached. They should still be under warranty, but I think I'll call Nintendo first before just starting the repair process (unless someone has any tips.)

Thanks!

Call Nintendo for replacement

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Call Nintendo for replacement

Well, called and of course now it magically works. Haha.

They were very friendly though and said if it acts up to call back in and they would take it from there. Sounds like it takes about 2 weeks give or take in case anyone does end up having to send a joy-con in.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Nintendo is killing it at E3. Metroid Prime 4 announced, Mario Odyssey is apparently awesome, and Mario vs Rabbids is basically Mario XCOM.

Great job of keeping up the Switch's positive momentum.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I was surprised, on top of your list above there was for fans of it Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for this year and Fire Emblem Warriors too, and one of those Wooly Yoshi platformers. The one that really amazed me was seeing Metroid 2 GB resurrected on 3DS with a 2.5D remaster. It bugged me they never got around to it after that stellar job with Metroid on the GBA.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I was surprised, on top of your list above there was for fans of it Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for this year and Fire Emblem Warriors too, and one of those Wooly Yoshi platformers. The one that really amazed me was seeing Metroid 2 GB resurrected on 3DS with a 2.5D remaster. It bugged me they never got around to it after that stellar job with Metroid on the GBA.

So they just saw the excitement that AM2R had and made their own? Seems about right.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Prime 4 is exciting. But....Retro Studios isn't doing it so all bets are off.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
So they just saw the excitement that AM2R had and made their own? Seems about right.

I'm sure this game was in development before AM2R was released. Nintendo actually seems completely justified in shutting that down, imo. AM2R's unauthorized use of Nintendo IP has already dampened the reception for this game, and will likely impact sales for the worse.

Tanooki

War Room Troll

No but it is amusingly timed. My guess was they knew of AM2R and didn't care as it dragged on for years with slow progress and most fanboy coders quit. Then they decided to do their own. They contracted Mercury Storm who did that 3DS Castlevania game which was fantastic and well done, and got them to redo Metroid 2 in the same 2.5D style. With it so close to completion, they dropped the hammer on that fan coder. In all fairness to Nintendo and that guy though, think about it. They could have been whores like Square-Enix and fucked that guy days before he put it out as he dated it, like SE did for that Chrono Trigger sequel 3 years in the making. Nintendo didn't bother to shut it down until it was not only out, but with one solid bug fix after the fact. They covered their asses and their IP while allowing that thing to exist because you can't just disappear shit from the net once it's up there.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Definitely like the look of the upcoming titles...but honestly one of the things that has me most curious is the Champion's Ballad for Breath of the Wild. Plus, I definitely have to get at least the Mipha amiibo. I keep swearing them off and they keep pulling me back in.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I'm sure this game was in development before AM2R was released. Nintendo actually seems completely justified in shutting that down, imo. AM2R's unauthorized use of Nintendo IP has already dampened the reception for this game, and will likely impact sales for the worse.

That's a stretch... I doubt a fan made game would dampen or hurt sales of an official metroid game. It just took someone else to show them that everyone wanted this and not that federation force game they put out. Besides he was very open with the project for years and released demos years before the final version ever dropped. The creator even encouraged the purchase of metroid 2 on eshop to show the company support and did not make any money off it. I totally agree it's crappy if someone steals from someone else to make profit, but In this case that didn't happen at all and only built excitement for the franchise. Now maybe someone will make a fan creation of Fzero next and force them into a new one :-)