New neogeo game aes ?

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
People who think that way are foolish. I've actually met him and hung out with him, and he's nothing like that.
Besides, harassing a guy based on little to no actual evidence (like, say, a picture of them shredding stuff) isn't useful and only drums out people who might be useful in conversations.
It's nice to keep War Room stuff outside of News & Rumors.

Bob, first off, i'm not harrassing the guy. Secondly, what I said in my previous post was all based off billies own words. He made his own site back in the day flipping the bird to everyone and ranting in a bitter tone (it was in regards to technical neo know how). He also publicly posted/commented about his want for his 15 minutes of fame in a way that just came off as seedy. Then there are his posts here mocking members like Fran and others all because they care about not sacrificing carts, or about home cart art packs, etc.
Is it really that hard to see how public perception of billy could be seen in the light that I have indicated. The writings on the wall and has been for years. So there is really nothing foolish about what I have said. Has he done things for the "Neo community/scene" over the years in regards to Neo Geo prototype games....yes. It's the things he has said over time, how he has worded them and how it comes across.
Look, i'm not looking to start an argument with you here. I know that you have met billy and i'm sure he's much more pleasant in person. I've never had that opportunity though and i'm just reacting to what has been put before me over the years here in type-speak. In the end we shouldn't let this get in the way of what looks to be a promising and affordable (HA! in Neo terms) release.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Orpheus is hilarious.

:spock:

BTW, as promised, Here is the response I got from the Neo Conception Team in regards to the last round of questions I asked them:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:02 -0800 (PST), I wrote:

I have just a few more questions that I am hoping you can answer so that I may gain some clarification:

- Is this release using "sacrifice" carts (and if not, what is the process for production?)

- How is the artwork printed for this release? Laser jet or off set printing?

- Was SNK contacted about the release? and did you ask them for permission to use the Neo
Geo logo's on the Japanese replease?

- Will using the Neo geo logo's be attempted with the U.S. release?

- What can we expect in terms of the possibility of an MVS & CD release?

Thier response:

Hello
we don't need Snk permission,Visco is the only one who owns the rights and
there is no license need to produce a game on Neo Geo.
About the technic ,the insert manual and sticker are in the exact same
quality of the old snk productions (maybe better).We are still on the
montage and a pcb is prefer.
About the us release we can't use the Neogeo logo cause we did not find an
agreement with Snk,so it ll be the same as the japanese version.A cd
version and an Mvs version are in progress but maybe for late 2011 or
beginning of 2012.

Best regards,

Neo Conception Team.

Last edited:

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
It's funny how a new game for our beloved neo will come out, and here everyone is, bitchig about all kinds of unrelated crap.

This game actually looks pretty cool to me and I hope the money will make these guys release more proto's !

(Could it be that they actually bought the IP ?)

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
It's funny how a new game for our beloved neo will come out, and here everyone is, bitchig about all kinds of unrelated crap.

It's all directly related as a matter of fact, it's all related to the topic of neo geo proto's over the years.

I wouldn't think that they got it as a handout. However, even if they paid, i'm sure it was a small fee. That I.P. is virtually worthless in the world of gaming now (and wasn't worth a hell of allot a decade ago).

Last edited:

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
They also told me that this game is officially licensed by the original developer Visco.
That makes it official enough for me to be excited about the upcoming US release! :drool_2:

I guess the guys will reveal some more details when they can talk about an exact release date for the US version.

I really think that releasing a proto for home consoles is a great project and for some reason i have a good feeling about this being not a fake, scam or whatever.
I want it badly! :D

aria

Former Moderator
It's all directly related as a matter of fact, it's all related to the topic of neo geo proto's over the years.

No, it doesn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Your comment was uncalled for here. No one gives your perceptions some higher credence than others. Frankly, I've never seen anything in his writing that indicates what the handful of his detractors seem to imply.

If I need to delete the extraneous conversation, I will.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What a crock of shit. How the fuck can you make a 2010 Dec release for AES and take 1 year for the MVS release? Same fucking chips. I'm guessing they are editing the code so there is no home mode on MVS release and vice versa.

If they are gonna take that long they better be producing PCBs like NG DEV.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
- What can we expect in terms of the possibility of an MVS & CD release?

Thier response:

A cd version and an Mvs version are in progress but maybe for late 2011 or
beginning of 2012.

I Vote for the NeoGeo CD version

thank for ask the question (i ask it too but i had no answer)

SSS

neo retired
Yawn... do you guys even still play zupapa? I don't see the excitement over this, other than for alec to add another cart he won't ever touch.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I like playing new games. If something looks boring it dosent mean it isn't a great game.

If you look at Windjammers it looks boring as fuck but is actually one of the best competitive games I've ever played.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Rather than Zupapa, this game reminds me of Snow Bros and Tumble Pop. Or Nightmare in the Dark.

Seems a nice game to me. Hope to get a chance to play it.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Yawn... do you guys even still play zupapa? I don't see the excitement over this, other than for alec to add another cart he won't ever touch.
i played zupapa!, last night. to be honest, i prefer zupapa!'s chara design and artwork, but this game looks as if it could be more fun to play.

valgalder

Kula's Candy

This game actually looks pretty cool to me and I hope the money will make these guys release more proto's !

I've noticed this as well in general about the Neo Geo fanbase... no wonder there is very few people willing to do any homebrew like other scenes. It's a shame because it would be an awesome system to continue to support but people always seem to complain about one thing or another.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
People will always complain about any homebrew scene. Truth is, when the product is available for purchase people flock to it. For every 1 person complaining there are 10 willing to buy. It shouldn't stop anyone from the homebrew scene. I think the homebrew for Neo is limited not by "market" but buy designers willing to try and make a game for a system with such a huge sprite engine.

Timm and Rene took it to the next level by pushing the limits of the Neo and producing custom PCBs.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
What's their plan?

What a crock of shit. How the fuck can you make a 2010 Dec release for AES and take 1 year for the MVS release? Same fucking chips. I'm guessing they are editing the code so there is no home mode on MVS release and vice versa.

If they are gonna take that long they better be producing PCBs like NG DEV.

100% AGREED.

...home, mvs, japan, euro, usa, it's all the same...

Since Neo-Geo carts have all the versions and regions implemented, the game program, if left untouched, would be fully compatible with all scenarios. The ONLY reason it would NOT function correctly, would be because THEY CHOOSE to mess with it.

Now, with that said, let's analyze this. Since we know that they do indeed have the ability to put the game on both formats (home & mvs), but they are electing not to do so at the same time, it is logical to conclude that they have a REASON not to do so. Now let's discuss what some of those reasons might be.

1) MONEY -- they saw what neo-dev team did with that strikers game, and they want to make the most money they can with the game. by having the game released in "stages" across the different regions and formats over a period of time (especially through the use of a pre-order / pre-pay system among the high end collectors) they keep demand & interest high, and they keep the threat of piracy & subsequent devalue down.

2) STIPULATION -- they acquired the rom for this game, and the ability to redistribute said rom, from a company or an individual who was only willing to do so under certain restrictions & guidelines. the most paramount among those stipulations, the requirement that the Japanese gaming community receive the game first.

Now granted, regardless of their reason, these guys can do whatever they want, they have the rom and so they have the control. And sadly, those of us who want this game (myself of course included) have no choice but to play ball. And trust me I will.

So perhaps now everyone can better understand why when it comes to these unique games, the same rules that govern officially released games simply do not apply. Again, for me, arguing over stuff like: home or mvs carts, english or japanese artwork, sac or repro carts, & even whether or not the game is good or bad, simply does not matter to me. All of those things are "details" and subjective. Meaningless to someone like me who just wants the DATA! ... And, to PLAY the game...to see, hear, and experience the hard work of these programmers, artists, and developers, whose creation for whatever reason went unpublished and would have otherwise remained undiscovered forever.

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Rather than Zupapa, this game reminds me of Snow Bros and Tumble Pop. Or Nightmare in the Dark.

Seems a nice game to me. Hope to get a chance to play it.

I thought of Nightmare in the Dark, one of my favorite games, when I saw the video.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
1) MONEY -- they saw what neo-dev team did with that strikers game, and they want to make the most money they can with the game. by having the game released in "stages" across the different regions and formats over a period of time (especially through the use of a pre-order / pre-pay system among the high end collectors) they keep demand & interest high, and they keep the threat of piracy & subsequent devalue down.

The problem with that strategy is that you have to know your game is good enough to build demand across all platforms. Judging from the video it could go either way really bad. If the AES owners say the game is shit then they won't make much off the MVS and CD releases. It would be smarter to release everything at one time unless you are very confident in the game itself.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The problem is, among those 100(?) AES owners probably less than 10 of them would actually plug the game in their system to play, lest they put a scratch on the cart surface. I don't think they'd be able to form enough opinions on the gameplay quality to matter statistically.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
The problem is, among those 100(?) AES owners probably less than 10 of them would actually plug the game in their system to play, lest they put a scratch on the cart surface.

Nah. Most would just have a backup or primary Neo system with a top shell that can be removed so you can play without getting scratches on the cart.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
The problem is, among those 100(?) AES owners probably less than 10 of them would actually plug the game in their system to play, lest they put a scratch on the cart surface. I don't think they'd be able to form enough opinions on the gameplay quality to matter statistically.

That, and they're almost never gamers. Gamer-Collectors do exist, but they're like the rare albino of the breed.

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That, and they're almost never gamers. Gamer-Collectors do exist, but they're like the rare albino of the breed.

Funny, i never thought of myself as an albino. :lolz:

I will buy it, because i want to play the game and i also want to have it in my collection. Since i also don´t have an extra home console with a removable top shell, it might even get some scratches here and there.

I take good care of my stuff and i am picky about the condition of my games, but i really don´t see any sense in buying a video game and not play it at all.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
OK guys, looking at what seems to happen, I'm starting to wonder... :360:

If a bunch of guys bought IP form Visco, what stops us to do the same for other games!?

Does somebody ever asked to a company how much would cost a proto like that!? (I agree with someone here, completely worthless in gaming industry nowadays...)

I'm quite sure we could (together) buy some unreleased game. :multi_co:

OK, seriously, I think this could be matter of discussion.:upf:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
It's Complicated

OK guys, looking at what seems to happen, I'm starting to wonder... :360:

If a bunch of guys bought IP form Visco, what stops us to do the same for other games!?

Does somebody ever asked to a company how much would cost a proto like that!? (I agree with someone here, completely worthless in gaming industry nowadays...)

I'm quite sure we could (together) buy some unreleased game. :multi_co:

OK, seriously, I think this could be matter of discussion.:upf:

This idea has been discussed before.
However, this was about 5 years ago and at the time these were the biggest problems to overcome:

1) Communication. Getting a hold of someone who works / worked for SNK of Japan was hard enough. Then, you had to be able to read/write/speak Japanese with the person, assuming they will respond / listen. And last, even if you can communicate in the Japanese language, the culture generally tends to discriminate against anyone they consider to be "Gaijin" or to be more politically correct "gaikokujin". So your chances of getting cooperation is virtually impossible.

2) Bureaucracy. The person who is willing to discuss the subject with you, might be a nobody and/or not high enough up the chain of command. They have to get through to others and navigate a maze of entity's who all have to not only help, but approve of continuing the requests forward. And nobody really knows who owns which rights. Look at Zupapa. It was a FACE game, but SNK took it? And in the case of Bang Busters, it was Visco, but apparently it still is? And with Ironclad, it was Saurus, did they just steal it? Exactly who owns what?

3) Minimums. If you get lucky and get this far, allegedly SNK had "minimums" when it came to producing cartridges and these minimums were prohibitively expensive. They had a stranglehold on the cartridge assembling & manufacturing process. (much like Nintendo did here in the USA in the early years of the NES) Rumors claimed that those who tried to deal with them at this level were at the losing end of deals that guaranteed SNK a profit and the negotiator a loss.

Now granted, things are different today.
Maybe you can negotiate to purchase just the rom data, and "pretend" that you intend to produce or manufacture the cartridges yourself. Which may be far cheaper. They would never have gone for this back then, but in today's world of virtual consoles and cd only systems, they may give these older games less value and accept this. You would have to buy them all at once though cause once they see what you do with it, they would get pissed and say never again.

Either way let's wait a couple months before bothering anyone. I have high hopes that Zintrick or Crossed Swords 2 may be coming very soon on the Virtual Console and hopefully we can extrapolate it again. (unless SNK purposely screws with it)

Last edited: