NEOSD MVS Support thread !

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK lads... Some thought on the Neosd Tech thread... This is starting to take over the NG section of Tech...

ONCE the USA guys get it... then the real tech stuff starts...

I am not being disparaging to the EU guys but I know that that the US guys have access to setups that are complete and diverse...

This will include stuff that Neosd and his team have not enountered...

HENCE... once that happens... i am going to create a TEMPORARY Neosd Tech forum...

xROTx

I got my consolized Neo Geo today so started tested out a few games. Pulstar, Neo Drift Out, Last Blade 2 all work fine. For some reason, I had to flash Neo Turf Masters twice, as first time the game came up corrupt first time. Any idea? Thanks!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I got my consolized Neo Geo today so started tested out a few games. Pulstar, Neo Drift Out, Last Blade 2 all work fine. For some reason, I had to flash Neo Turf Masters twice, as first time the game came up corrupt first time. Any idea? Thanks!

Cheap PC... Cheap micro SD... corrupt filing system... Currupt files... Being in the EU...

ALL these are problems Nostromo pal...

xROTx

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
neosd,after days of testing i must say im verry happy with neosd.
all games that i tested works fine here,hope the improvements makes its even better.
keep up the good work.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I tested on the 4 slot following dkarDaGoberts suggestion of putting it into arcade protect mode and yes - it does boot fine in a 4 slot if you put into arcade mode and remove the uSD card =D I cannot check checksums on the 4 slot (or my other 1FZ) at the moment as I am waiting for some 27C1024 chips. I could remove the unibios from my other 1FZ but its a lot of messing around and I risk damaging some of the wiring connections etc each time I take it appart. I will re-test on the other 1FZ and 4 slot next week when my chips arrive, and when I can then also test with the replacement cart too.

I think the only real issues here for me are the CRC issue (which neosd have already said is a consequence of the beta firmware I am running), and the multi slot support (and actually I can live without that for the moment since arcade protect is a work around for now).

neodev

Neosd Tech
I tested on the 4 slot following dkarDaGoberts suggestion of putting it into arcade protect mode and yes - it does boot fine in a 4 slot if you put into arcade mode and remove the uSD card =D I cannot check checksums on the 4 slot (or my other 1FZ) at the moment as I am waiting for some 27C1024 chips. I could remove the unibios from my other 1FZ but its a lot of messing around and I risk damaging some of the wiring connections etc each time I take it appart. I will re-test on the other 1FZ and 4 slot next week when my chips arrive, and when I can then also test with the replacement cart too.

I think the only real issues here for me are the CRC issue (which neosd have already said is a consequence of the beta firmware I am running), and the multi slot support (and actually I can live without that for the moment since arcade protect is a work around for now).

Thanks for testing that. Knowing that arcade mode makes it work for you too, now we exactly know how to fix it.

Tried more games today. This issue did not repeat itself. NeoSD/NeoDEV what do you think?

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Tried more games today. This issue did not repeat itself. NeoSD/NeoDEV what do you think?

I had a similar issue only once , during writing kof 2003 on a mv1fz board ,around 70/80% writing process has stopped and launched the game , corrupted of course.

I suspected the board itself , because before i had sometimes self rebooting during gameplay with normal cartridges , probably due to bad contact (the mv1fz stayed in a arcade cab for a long time and was really dusty).

To be honest I don't know if it did the whole writing process as I usually I go do something else whilst it is writing. I am using my NeoSD with a brand new JNX consolized MV1C, so it is certainly not an issue due to grime.

neodev

Neosd Tech
To be honest I don't know if it did the whole writing process as I usually I go do something else whilst it is writing. I am using my NeoSD with a brand new JNX consolized MV1C, so it is certainly not an issue due to grime.

Well, I don'tbknow what could have caused it. Let us know if it happens again, and take a photo of how it looks.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
today completed spin master,and its working fine from the begin to the end.
also the crc check is fine.

@NeoSD - I am having some graphical issues with Pulstar. Most of the time this doesnt happen, and I don't have to restart the system for these glitches to manifest themselves. Then, maybe on my next attempt, they're gone again.

This is ok:
1a.jpg

Broken background:
1b.jpg

This is ok:
2a.jpg

This is not:
2ab.jpg

neodev

Neosd Tech
@NeoSD - I am having some graphical issues with Pulstar. Most of the time this doesnt happen, and I don't have to restart the system for these glitches to manifest themselves. Then, maybe on my next attempt, they're gone again.

This is ok:
View attachment 41233

Broken background:
View attachment 41234

This is ok:
View attachment 41235

This is not:
View attachment 41236

Please, can yo make a quick test? Enable arcade mode in options and take the sd out of the cart and try again. I suspect what might be causing it, and it sould be fixed if it is.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot

Broken background:

I've been able to re-create that on my cart too just now. Incidentally, that PCM problem has come back so you can hear that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxK-tsLYJgg&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: After leaving it powered for 1 minute like that the PCM issue cleared up completely!

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Please, can yo make a quick test? Enable arcade mode in options and take the sd out of the cart and try again. I suspect what might be causing it, and it sould be fixed if it is.

I will try that too now!

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
its good more people testing now many games,so we can find flaws and tell neosd.
at the end we get a flawless product that is a masterpiece,hahaha,who hat thought we ever get a flashcard for neo geo.

neodev

Neosd Tech

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That's with neosd options menu arcade mode on, not unibios arcade protect, right?
That's correct! Neo SD arcade protect.

Worth noting - it took about 10 power cycles to get the glitch to show, it's not every time.

What worries me about all the glitches I've seen so far is they behave like they are caused by either cross talk, or some PLL timing suffering from jitter or something.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
GadgetUK,

Please, dont mix things.

You got a BETA firmware, we changed a lot of things just to SEE if those things would make a difference on your setup. Those changes are already reverted on our repository.

You can´t compare the things that are happening to you with others, cause your firmware is complety different, we have abandoned those changes.

I hope you understand that trying to figure whats happening by yourself, right now it makes no sense, neither helps, cause your firmware is totally different.

Thanks

That's correct! Neo SD arcade protect.

Worth noting - it took about 10 power cycles to get the glitch to show, it's not every time.

What worries me about all the glitches I've seen so far is they behave like they are caused by either cross talk, or some PLL timing suffering from jitter or something.

Sure will test later. When you say arcade mode in options - do you mean I play in MVS mode?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Sure will test later. When you say arcade mode in options - do you mean I play in MVS mode?

Hello Nostromo,

There is an option on neosd options menu that lets you enable "arcade mode", this mode blocks the in game trigger once you remove the sd card (with a flashed game).

So please, enable arcade mode on neosd options menu after you have the game flashed.
Then remove sd card and see if you are still getting those issues.

Thanks

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I just tried to reproduce those glitches in pulstar , without success , but at first startup i get flashing glitches in the menu (on both screen sides and the game picture) .

If i recall , GadgetUK once had the same issue but i'm unable to reproduce it , menu is working fine now...

(my firmware is the one with mv1fz fix and my mvs boards are all with stock bioses)

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
GadgetUK,

Please, dont mix things.

You got a BETA firmware, we changed a lot of things just to SEE if those things would make a difference on your setup. Those changes are already reverted on our repository.

You can´t compare the things that are happening to you with others, cause your firmware is complety different, we have abandoned those changes.

I hope you understand that trying to figure whats happening by yourself, right now it makes no sense, neither helps, cause your firmware is totally different.

Thanks

You know what, I am not mixing things at all (he's on a different firmware to me with the same problem), and to be honest I am starting to feel patronised by some of the replies I keep getting recently. Like I am on a beta firmware so that explains all the problems.

The glitch that was reported today - the fact it is intermittant can only be timing related, and you know what - every problem I've had so far (and the few that others have had) are all timing related from what I can see. Intermittancy in CRC checks, line glitches, and now that issue in Pulstar, they would lead anyone to think there's a timing issue somewhere that has the behaviour of either cross talk or something that is not correctly locked via PLL.

I am being patient, and I will continue to do more tests when the other cart arrives next week, and you might not think what I suggest is helping but it's just my opinion at this point in time. That doesn't mean I am saying that the issues I am experiencing cannot be solved, I am not trying to create problems here at all, I am just starting to lose my patience tbh.

Last edited: