NeoGeo CD on the Dreamcast

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
off topic, but jsut aquestion, NGCD games uses CDDA for thier bgms and stuff right?

Ianmicheal

n00b
yeah cd audio any way it's working just finshing up the release of the first beta now.

hope to get feed back and please show support for the people that worked on it including the pc author fosters

and GPF who worked on it and fixed problems i had trouble with.

be out today

Greenguard

n00b
Great news Ian!!

This first beta should have the following features:

Swap support using an actual NeoGeo CD

Close to fullspeed emulation

No sound effects.

Background Music??

Everyone please support the people who worked very hard to make this emulator a reality! Thanks Ian, GPF, Fosters, Blackaura, Quazar, and anyone I missed. :)

Last edited:

Ianmicheal

n00b
NEOCD/SDL DC
I started porting the NEOCD/SDL to the Dreamcast on Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004. This emulator is in the early stages of production, so to speak. The Original NeoCD(DOS Version) is by Martinez Fabrice, and The NEOGEO CD SDL port was done by Fosters (SDL portions written by Fosters(2001, 2003). There is no sound yet in this beta.
All people who are part of the team deserve the same amount of credit for getting this baby up and running!
They are: (in no particular order) Fosters, Ian Michael, Troy (GPF) Davis, BlackAura, and BlueCrab.

I cannot stress enough to READ the README. The information you need is in there!

CREDITS

Troy (GPF) Davis web site http://www.storm-studios.net/GPF
Fabrice Martinez - The original NeoCD emulator
Fosters - SDL port
Caz - For the BeOS NeoCD/SDL build
Karl Stenerud - The Musashi M680x0 emulator
Neil Bradley (neil@synthcom.com) - Multi-Z80 CPU emulator
Tatsuyuki Satoh - YM2610 Mame core
Derek Liauw Kie Fa. - 2xSaI engine
Sam Lantinga (et al) - Simple DirectMedia Layer
Dan Potter - KallistiOS

Dreamcast Port: Ian Michael, Fosters, Troy (GPF) Davis, BlackAura, BlueCrab.

Splash Screen art created by: Wack0

If I have omitted anyones name in the credits, please let me know, as it was not intentional.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Issue: ANALOG STICK The stick is SUPER SENSITIVE!! Only the smallest of movement is needed. In other words: you CANNOT just push hard in any direction. If you do that, it will fail to work. If you cant stand the super sensitive analog stick controls: use the keyboard..

(To all sites posting this news: Please include the Main Issue in your news post to lessen the "it doesnt work!" topics on everyones forums)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please make sure any news posts include all credit that i have written out this was a great team effort and shows what we can all do working together group Man hug guys! :D

This is a beta so it might only loaded puzzle bubble only so please test that game only before moving to others.

http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/

Please only try puzzle bubble first up it's the only game i have so thats what i tested.

other games might not work or fail or crash it's a first beta be kind and remember puzzle bubble works at fullspeed with out sound

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This is so awsome. But what about loadtimes? Does the DC eliminate them?
I wanna see them fightgames working on my DC!:mr_t:
Great work!

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Temjin said:
This is so awsome. But what about loadtimes? Does the DC eliminate them?
I wanna see them fightgames working on my DC!:mr_t:
Great work!

That'd be pretty sweet ....

Greenguard

n00b
right now there is no way to tell if loading speed has improved or not, becasue the only game that is fully playable right now is puzzle bobble, which never really had load time problems. I would still guess that load times will be much improved. Don't worry, more games will work in time.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Im very excited about this projekt and wanna help as much as I can. Im no programmer. But I burned the Beta version and tried the games that I have.
All I got was a black screen. I gave the machine extra long time between swaping cds and took everything real slow but none of my games booted up.
I dont know if this is useful to Ianmichael but the games I tested were:
Art of fighting 2 & 3
KOF 95-96
Samurai Shodown 1 & 4
and Fatal Fury 3

Id be happy to try them on another beta.

MVS Matt

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Can anyone point me to an idiots guide to burning this thing? I've got a load of Neo CD games to test with it.

Ianmicheal

n00b
I did say only try puzzle bubble that is all i had to test. so dont expect any thing else to work on the first beta

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I kind of didnt expect them to work either. I just tested them anyway cause I think this is such a cool project!:)
As soon as you release another beta I will try it.
I don´t have Puzzle Bobble unfortunantely.

Garland Russell

Dodgeball Yakuza
Oh, yeah! I'm definitely up for this! Someone please tell me about on how to ordering this(that is, if he's finished working on it). Will it be on the same site to order, or will it be a different one? This is really sweet!:) ;) :cool:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Garland Russell said:
Oh, yeah! I'm definitely up for this! Someone please tell me about on how to ordering this(that is, if he's finished working on it). Will it be on the same site to order, or will it be a different one? This is really sweet!:) ;) :cool:

Um... It'll probably be free.

Greenguard

n00b
It will be free. You will have to download the emulator. Put the bios with the emulator. Selfboot using on eof the many Selfboot methods. Burn and Boot! It may sound complicated at first but it really isn't. There are many tutorials and apps that make this process simple. check dcemualtion or Ian's site for them.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Yeah, if one of the guys around here could write a simple tutorial to burn this program I'd be happy to host the instructions and link them from this thread.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
if the front loader is single speed, along with the top loader
and the cdz is "faster" but not yet double speed,
what does that make a dreamcast if it can run it with nil load times?

Greatkiller

B. Jenet's Firstmate
WOW I would like to Congratulate the whole team thats working on this EMU. You guys are doing a bangin' job. I cant wait until if fully oprated so I can play some NEO TURFMASTERS!. GOOD LUCK!

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If this thing work 100% (with sound and no problems), it´ll be the perfect way to have the best ports of the KOF series up to 2002.

94-97 on NGCD, 98-2002 on the DC, all running on the DC, with short or no running times!

:buttrock:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
This project sounds really interesting.
I wonder how the DC ports will look compared to the actual NeoGeoCD's (if the emu runs someday at 100%) using the same machine :rolleyes:

[OCEAN]

Greenguard

n00b
the dreamcast is a 12x GD-ROM

From what I understand the original NeoGeo CD was 1x CD-ROM

and the CDZ was listed at 2x but was more like 1.5x or something like that. Either way the Dreamcast can load data at a much greater rate than the original system.

kc

Belnar Institute Student
Greenguard said:
the dreamcast is a 12x GD-ROM

From what I understand the original NeoGeo CD was 1x CD-ROM

and the CDZ was listed at 2x but was more like 1.5x or something like that. Either way the Dreamcast can load data at a much greater rate than the original system.

if you do the math thats little over 24 times faster

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
For those of you who are asking about instructions on how to burn emulators for the DC its like greenguard says, check out
http://www.dcemulation.com . Just do some reading there, I was
a total n00b to until I checked out that place. But after a bit of reading I burned my first emulator without problems.
Dcemulation rocks!:)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
:spock:

maybe the person who had the idea too!

meh, rom whore.

Greenguard said:
Great news Ian!!

This first beta should have the following features:

Swap support using an actual NeoGeo CD

Close to fullspeed emulation

No sound effects.

Background Music??

Everyone please support the people who worked very hard to make this emulator a reality! Thanks Ian, GPF, Fosters, Blackaura, Quazar, and anyone I missed. :)