Neo stick working on Xbox!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
when using the regular controller, will the rumble feature loosen solder points?

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Dreamcazman said:
Guys, I can do this mod if you can't do it. I live in Australia, so if you're willing to send an Xbox controller over here, no problems at all.

As it's a really fiddly time consuming job, my rates are as follows:

For the mod including DB15 connector and return airmail postage to the US. Total $45USD

For those in the UK, same deal, but postage is more. Total $50USD

I hope this is a fair price. PM me if you want it done.
Wow. Too pricey, unless those rates include an Xbox controller...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
squareh4t3r said:
Wow. Too pricey, unless those rates include an Xbox controller...

That price includes return shipping from Australia.... Plus the guy is doing this as a favor, it's not like it is his full time job.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Well, I went out today and picked up a male db15 port, but I ran into a little problem. Both my controllers were not the proper revision, thus there were no soldering points for the A,B,C, and D buttons. I was wondering if you could check where your controller was made, as both mine are made in china and the good revision could possibly be the Malasya manufactured controllers. Please let me know if the revision ends up being directly linked to country of manufacture, or if it is simply a manufacturing date issue.

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
I didnt know so many people were interested, here is my controller I did awhile ago, I needed both memory ports at the time so I mounted the jack in the back. If you are in the US and you want it done let me know, I would charge $20 with return shipping.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Res - I'm not sure what revision my controller is, but it was one of the first lot of S controllers to be released, the major difference I noticed between it and my Chinese made S controller is the colour of the cable. The old one is green whereas the new one is black.

You can find the points easily enough if you have a multimeter with continuity tester. Alot of the points go through the board and can be soldered on the other side.

Sonofx51 - I had no idea any one else thought of this before. Thought I was on to something big ;)

If you can do this for people (and save them money) go right ahead. The postage is the biggest killer, at least $20USD thereabouts.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
One more question, I was wondering where I could tap the +5v on the controller? I plan on mainly using the New-Style stick, and I understand that it sometimes requires the +5v.

sonofx51

One more question, I was wondering where I could tap the +5v on the controller?

The Red wire is the +5V solder to the front of the controller, since it's nice and easy there.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Ok, just one more question: Why are Pin #s 4 & 9 both labeled as the D button? Can I just use pin-4, or do I need to connect both 4 and 9 to the same connection?

sQuareh4t3r

ResOGlas said:
Ok, just one more question: Why are Pin #s 4 & 9 both labeled as the D button? Can I just use pin-4, or do I need to connect both 4 and 9 to the same connection?
Using just pin 4 enables the D button. You don't need to connect both.

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Sweet mod! I just spent $50 for the new Capcom SF controller and the PS2 controller adapter for the Xbox/Game Cube to play the fighters. I am doing this mod ASAP!

is there any way you could list the names of the points you soldered to? I have a different Type-S controller, and the layout doesn't match up. they should still be on the same points, just their placement switched around, right?

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
OrochiJeebus said:
is there any way you could list the names of the points you soldered to? I have a different Type-S controller, and the layout doesn't match up. they should still be on the same points, just their placement switched around, right?

Right! The way to find the points is for example:

Look at the D-pad pressure points on the PCB. One of the sides connects to ground and the other traces along a little then stops at a point. This will continue through to the other side of the board. Trace it back to a area where it's convenient to solder a wire to. Do the same for the face buttons. You may have to pull off that sticky black plastic sheeting to see the tracks underneath. Don't forget to put the sheet back when you're done. :p

wow... i totally just ruined my xbox pad -_- i think i'll cut my losses and just trade it in for one of those new SF:AC pads. i don't need a stick that badly :(

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Shit dude, how did you stuff it?

It takes a little bit of fine soldering to do as the points are kinda small and you have to scratch the greenish plastic coating that is on the contacts. Did you apply too much heat and burnt a trace out?

yeah, i think that might be it... my soldering iron's pretty fine-pointed, but it still felt really big working with the tiny points. not to mention the wire i was using was pretty thick as well. the whole controller isn't dead though, just the A button. but i'd say that missing any button in a fighting game is a pretty big disadvantage -.- please don't let my example discourage any of you from trying this, i'm probably just a really bad solderer ^^;;

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
I haven't had much experience with pcbs, so... Did you just scratch off a little of the plastic coating covering the traces? Then just solder to them? I've been trying to locate a reference point to solder to using another guide(one for an amiga controller port, more or less the same) on xbox-scene to no avail. If this is all you did there really are no reference points by which to solder, it could be anywhere along the trace right?

I hope this is right, please let me know.

-Thanks

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
gamejunkie said:
I haven't had much experience with pcbs, so... Did you just scratch off a little of the plastic coating covering the traces? Then just solder to them? I've been trying to locate a reference point to solder to using another guide(one for an amiga controller port, more or less the same) on xbox-scene to no avail. If this is all you did there really are no reference points by which to solder, it could be anywhere along the trace right?

I hope this is right, please let me know.

-Thanks

The wires can be soldered anywhere between the button contact pads and the next major component (eg. resistor, etc) As in my S controller, I found two areas where I could solder the wires to. It just made it easier to run the wires. Just don't connect the wires too close to the pads. If the wire is in the way, you will have trouble pressing the buttons when you use the Xbox controller.

Unfortunately there is no reference points as it seems most controllers are different in some way.

Jagull

n00b
wouldn't you have to hack up a PSX pad to get it to work? IIRC the PSX pad uses a controller chip for the buttons; there's only 9 pins on the controller cable

sQuareh4t3r

Jagull said:
wouldn't you have to hack up a PSX pad to get it to work? IIRC the PSX pad uses a controller chip for the buttons; there's only 9 pins on the controller cable
Certain models of the PlayStation digital controllers (H series, I believe) have contact points between the button pad and the leg of the encoder chip that you can tap into for things like this. You could also use a multimeter and trace the buttons back to the appropriate leg of the chip if you were looking to minimize space and stuff everything into a project box to make a dedicated adapter.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's indeed a very nice mod.

I have seen something similar but to hook an Amiga Keyboard and Mouse.

Altough I'm not a Soldering genius, I managed to do de same mod on a Dreamcast ( Agetec in USA I belive ) Stick. It still plays DC games and it is ready for Neo.

sonofx51

anyone managed to get this working with a PSX pad?

unless you have some big bulky psx pad then you cant mount a jack, because there is simply not enough room. Maybe if you use a dualshock and remove one of the rumble feature motors, but then that would just make it uncomfortable to hold as a regular controller. You can probably get a away with the 15 pin cable and make another hole at the top for it to come out and plug the neo controller into that. Or you can sac a couple of psx controllers and put them in a little box so you can use the neo sticks on the psx/ps2, though I would recommend using cheap ass ps2 controllers so you dont have any compatibility issues on ps2 games.