Neo stick working on Xbox!

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Here is a mod for those who wish to use the Neo stick on their Xbox. Actually, this can be done on pretty much any controller pad, PS2 & PC included.

I thought the other day, with all these Neogeo roms on my Xbox, wouldn't it be cool if you could somehow get the Neo stick to work on the Xbox? This is exactly what I set out to achieve.

I did a bit of research into the Neo stick controllers and the beauty about them is that each button and stick movement has it's own wire and when you press a button or move the stick in a given direction, it closes the corresponding connection with a common ground so the Neogeo knows what you pressed. It also doesn't need any extra power to work.

With this mod, you need to use an existing control pad as the go between. The Xbox controllers have controller chips onboard that process the users inputs, this was still needed and all I did was rip open the Xbox controller pad, found the traces that link up with the buttons and A, B, X, Y, BACK and START buttons and hookup wire which leads to a 15 pin DB male socket (so you can plug in the Neo stick)

I hooked up the buttons in the following order:

Up/Down/Left/Right is the same
A = A on stick
B = B on stick
X = C on stick
Y = D on stick
Back = Select on stick
Start is the same

Here is the pinout I used to wire up the socket.

I was planning on doing a full tutorial for this, but I checked another one of my controllers and the board layout was totally different! I do not have access to every controller out there, but this was mainly to let the everyone know that it is indeed possible for this to work.

Here are a few pics as well. Any questions, feel free to ask.

xbox%20neogeo%20controller.jpg

xbox%20neogeo%20controller%202.jpg

Just like to add too, that the stick also works great with other Xbox games, not only the emulated stuff. I tried it with Soul Calibur 2, Capcom vs SNK 2 and the Xbox version of Metal Slug 3. Basically anything that only really needs the D-pad and 4 main face buttons will work fine.

Also, there are other ways you can neaten it up. Even install the whole Xbox controller board into the base of the Neo stick (if it fits), but that means loosing a whole Xbox controller and you won't be able to use the Neo stick in the Neogeo!

Just don't forget, even though this works great, there's nothing like playing on the real thing. :cool:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is the xbox controller still usable on an xbox?

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Here are a few more pics I've just uploaded...

Note: This is how my S Controller board was laid out. Yours may or may not be the same.

This first one is the back of the controller

1.jpg

This is where I had to solder the wires for the face buttons.

7.jpg

This is a plastic bit you have to cut out of the back of the memory card slot to make way for the wires

2.jpg

This is the places where the SELECT and START connections have to be made.

3.jpg

And a closeup

4.jpg

This is the front of the controller where I had to solder connections for the stick

5.jpg

And another closeup, the lone wire to the left is the common ground

6.jpg

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
You are truly a god among men. I have yet to find a joystick as perfect as my newstyle Neo stick and I would kill to use it for SvC Chaos when it comes out for xbox.

By any chance will you be offering to do this mod personally for people for a fee? If so, Please put me down as first on your list! I can ship out my controller and paypal you immediately... ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dreamcazman said:
I thought the other day, with all these Neogeo roms on my Xbox, wouldn't it be cool if you could somehow get the Neo stick to work on the Xbox? This is exactly what I set out to achieve.

I think I like the reason more than the mod :p

Ckd N Lkd

Smoking Gun!,
ResOGlas said:
By any chance will you be offering to do this mod personally for people for a fee? If so, Please put me down as first on your list! I can ship out my controller and paypal you immediately... ;)

I would be the second in line...LMK :cool:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Do you think you could label the wires on your photos so people can attempt this mod themselves? Also, If you could list the type of printer cable port and grade wires used along with more detailed info on how you secured the port, that would be awesome. Thanks

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

*splooge*

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ohhhh this looks tempting to do. The memory card port on the Box controller port is the perfect place for a DB15 connector. I don't have an XBox but I am planning on doing the controller->USB hack with a USB cable and Xbox extention cable, and I'd love to use a Neo stick with the Xbox for some games (can't think of many besides Super Cosplay Wars Ultra and some SNK ports, I don't use roms). A solder-type DB15 connector is cheap anyhow, I figure "Why not?". I'd be using the big ole' Xbox controller (my neighbor has one without the top connector that plugs into the xbox itself and I'm sure he'd sell it for $5 since it's useless to him and he doesn't know what it's worth).

Last edited:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Kick ass job! I love how you did this in a way that does not sacrifice the original controller either :D Would love to do this to my PS2 controllers... :smirk:

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
ResOGlas said:
Do you think you could label the wires on your photos so people can attempt this mod themselves? Also, If you could list the type of printer cable port and grade wires used along with more detailed info on how you secured the port, that would be awesome. Thanks

Just because I'm such a nice guy, I've labelled the wires for you :p You guys may have to refresh the page for them to show up.

The wire I used was actually and old ATA33 cable I had lying around here. Works pretty well for simple hook up jobs like this and you can try to have it looking as neat as possible because the wires are all joined. Doesn't end up looking like a total birds nest inside.

The connector is just a DB15 male plug which you can get from any decent electronics shop, it's secured on a slight angle with two self tapping screws which are driven into the side of the memory card slot. Just make sure they aren't too long as they can touch the controller board inside. I'm sure it's possible to make this look more neater, but I was more interested to see if it would work :cool:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Dreamcazman said:
Just because I'm such a nice guy, I've labelled the wires for you :p You guys may have to refresh the page for them to show up.

The wire I used was actually and old ATA33 cable I had lying around here. Works pretty well for simple hook up jobs like this and you can try to have it looking as neat as possible because the wires are all joined. Doesn't end up looking like a total birds nest inside.

The connector is just a DB15 male plug which you can get from any decent electronics shop, it's secured on a slight angle with two self tapping screws which are driven into the side of the memory card slot. Just make sure they aren't too long as they can touch the controller board inside. I'm sure it's possible to make this look more neater, but I was more interested to see if it would work :cool:

Thank you very much!! :D

I plan on doing this mod first thing tomorrow morning.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Indeed, great work!

TonK

Least Valuable Player
ResOGlas said:

Kenny Boy said:
Indeed, great work!

I know someone who will.

dlord

New Challenger
:drool_2: :glee: :D if you start doing this for people am in i can send the controller or all you need and the fee

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Guys, I can do this mod if you can't do it. I live in Australia, so if you're willing to send an Xbox controller over here, no problems at all.

As it's a really fiddly time consuming job, my rates are as follows:

For the mod including DB15 connector and return airmail postage to the US. Total $45USD

For those in the UK, same deal, but postage is more. Total $50USD

I hope this is a fair price. PM me if you want it done.