Neo Geo is great for retro gaming and parenting

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
But hell, i dad is a crazy football or baseball fan, the kid will likely be crazy about that too.

Or the kid could turn into Marilyn Manson jr. with a hatred of sports.

EDIT: I Stepped away from my computer as I made this post. Spot on EG.

WE HAVE GREAT MINDS.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Everyone is at different stages in their lives. Some can barely take care themselves let alone a family. I have a 6 yr old, 4 year old and another on the way. It'll be our last.

And I actually game more lately. My eldest loves playing on our cabs and is a riot whenever I have get togethers. For example, these are all ng.com forum regulars shmuping it up recently with my kid.

View attachment 17886

I can't imagine life without em but then again, I'm probably boring compared to how I lived life 10 years ago if you ask some of my old friends. lol

To the OP, you have fun times ahead. Only people without kids say they suck. ;)

That^ was a great day.

I regret that my 4 & 6 yr olds weren't there, for the Jims play date & cab summit.

In my experience, cabs are a better fit for families than consoles. Ymmv.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
wow, does everyone have cab(s) and kids aged 4 and 6?

need to get a more recent pic of kids playing with cab :)

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I love my parents, and they have an incredible marriage. Soo... sorry EG.

Also Frank Sinatra is great you jerk. :buttrock: It's not about forcing your kids to like what you like, it's about sharing what you care about with them, just like you do any person who you spend time with and is close to you. Otherwise the only thing they will be exposed to is the (mostly) crap that's popular right now. Music, Movies, Games, etc.

Sharing with your children HELPS them develop individuality because it gives them a unique experience from their peers, and a broader base of information to inform their opinions of what is cool and what they like.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I love my parents, and they have an incredible marriage. Soo... sorry EG.

Also Frank Sinatra is great you jerk. :buttrock: It's not about forcing your kids to like what you like, it's about sharing what you care about with them, just like you do any person who you spend time with and is close to you. Otherwise the only thing they will be exposed to is the complete garbage that's popular right now. Music, Movies, Games, etc.

Sharing with your children HELPS them develop individuality because it gives them a unique experience from their peers, and a broader base of information to inform their opinions of what is cool and what they like.

You're basic. You are missing the points.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
:lolz: Basic

And what were the points I missed oh infinitely bad andsuchisdeath?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Well, for one..what does your parents having a wonderful marriage have to do with EG's post. "So…sorry EG" What?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh look at the noob all defiant and shit. Compose yourself, behave like a good noob should.

Guidance and attention are always good, I think everyone here has agreed on that but you're taking the common ground between our different opinions for granted, go on, read back please. Then you can come here and flap your noobies all you want.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well, for one..what does your parents having a wonderful marriage have to do with EG's post. "So…sorry EG" What?

Ahem

You're all young still, most of you that have kids have little kids. Wait 'till they're teens, if you're still thinking the same way then you're doing great along with a small percentage of people in the world. Congrats then, but truth be told I hardly doubt it. Your kids will be teens, hate your guts, and so will you. Part of the process, sucks balls.

There are 2 things I've need heard any of the people I've dealt with brag about, marriage and kids. Not a fucken one has told me, hey I'm glad I have this!

It's like boats! Everybody is gunning for one and once they have it all is dandy until they have to work on it.

Sorry to harm his perfect record. Cynicism about children, marriage, and parenting just bother me that's all. Nothing against him.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Just because we are a generation where our interests for the first time may be legitimately cooler than today's youth's current incarnation of interests, doesn't mean they will be received that way.

As EG has illustrated previously, there is something invaluable about a young person finding something they can call "their own". I would imagine developing a sense of individualism is extremely important to most red blooded young males in this western world. Superficial things like hobbies can be extremely instrumental in the formative stages of this process.

Liking what pops likes does nothing to further that. Should a father never pass things on to son? Of course not. Again, like EG said, he was able to get a lot of important father son time out of spinning those records he didn't care about.

But having the mentality of "my shit is cooler" (in which this case it's actually true with video games) won't do anything for that child's sense of individualism. It's old people stuff and the child who thinks for himself a little bit more is probably going to reject it. Maybe they'll warm up to it years down the road for nostalgias sake, but that has nothing to do with the actual medium, it's just fondness of time spent with the parent.

It doesn't really matter, and no knock to the people who are into it. But generally speaking, a kid is going to want to go his own way. Playing Metal Slug at age 4 isn't going to damage him. It might as well be no different than playing ball on a string in a cup.

Just don't be surprised when your rug rat grows up and says "Ewww, Guwange is soo gay dad".

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Just going to leave this here.

PrincessPrinPrin said:
Apparently this fitting colour choice was someone's kids decision.

100_1422.jpg

Not having kids = best decision of my life

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Yup, scarf rack joke happened five months ago when I got the thing :cool:. Also, that’s not my cab.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ahem

Sorry to harm his perfect record. Cynicism about children, marriage, and parenting just bother me that's all. Nothing against him.
I'm sorry to say that your opinion doesn't count but I'll elaborate just 'cause you seem to have a legitimate concern here.

My job is to make people buy shit they don't need, just like us, we buy a bunch of stuff we don't need. These people come to me at the end of the day and candidly ask me if I have a family or if I'm married, you know, chit chat, I tell them that I'm single and then they start telling me how much better off I am for it. Small talk, I know, but it happens often enough that it seems almost like a common consensus. Now mind you, there is no title over my head saying "Hey ask me about my life!" nor is there any sort of topic overhead praising or not praising family & marriage, it's just people's opinion and they care to share it without even been asked, that to me seems to hold more value than a thread that talks about the whole family & marriage business, because we have a topic to talk about it, of course no one is going to disdain their choices in life, that'd be painful.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
These Things

I don't disagree for the most part, but I believe that giving your kid a broader experience of games, music, movies, anything, than just what's available right now is a massive help in them NOT just being basic. They can take or leave what they like and don't like, but at least they'll know there is a bigger world out there and be able to make educated decisions. Thinking for yourself is about actually thinking for yourself after all, not just rejecting everything your parents say or like.

Besides, in my experience kids are incredibly open to old games. Especially old arcade games. They love the stuff. I've even had 14 -16 year olds freak out about LB2, MS, and MOTW and say the graphics looked great lol. I wasn't expecting that, but they'd never seen anything like it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thinking for yourself is about actually thinking for yourself after all, not just rejecting everything your parents say or like.

I don't disagree.

EDIT: but harkening back to my older post, I wouldn't intentionally expose my kids to video games. There are so many different avenues a child can explore that can benefit them far more than video games can. Regardless whether or not the exposure to the games is an instance in which the child receives an opportunity their generational peers might not.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Small talk, I know, but it happens often enough that it seems almost like a common consensus.

I'm sorry to hear that grave.. of all the friends and acquaintances I have, only a handful have ever expressed sentiments like that to me, and it certainly hasn't been my experience. I realize most families are crap, but I don't believe it's a requirement, and I don't believe it's "part of the process." I just think a lot of people are selfish, do a bad job raising their kids, treat their spouse poorly, and then just say "that's life."

That's why it bothers me.

-

ANYWAY way too serious moment over. What genre of old arcade games would you guys say your kids like best? Beat em ups and fighters seem consistently popular from what I've seen. Kids love mashing.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't disagree for the most part, but I believe that giving your kid a broader experience of games, music, movies, anything, than just what's available right now is a massive help in them NOT just being basic. They can take or leave what they like and don't like, but at least they'll know there is a bigger world out there and be able to make educated decisions. Thinking for yourself is about actually thinking for yourself after all, not just rejecting everything your parents say or like.

Besides, in my experience kids are incredibly open to old games. Especially old arcade games. They love the stuff. I've even had 14 -16 year olds freak out about LB2, MS, and MOTW and say the graphics looked great lol. I wasn't expecting that, but they'd never seen anything like it.
I have a friend (really) that got into the beatles 'cause she ran into a bunch of her mom's old tapes. Mom wasn't pushing it in, she just got them out of the attic and she loved it. I think she feels like she found it on her own, of course she shares these newfound love for the Beatles with her mom and it's great but I can guarantee you it wouldn't have been the same if her mom introduced it to her.

I'm not much into folk music but my dad was (RIP), I can enjoy the music solely 'cause of nostalgia, there's no true admiration for the music per say, I do appreciate the musicianship and what have you, but I prefer other types of music, that's just me.

Parent's hobbies don't equal family values. You can instill and broaden your child's horizons with guidance, I much prefer my parents letting me do what I want as opposed to instill shit on me and they did plenty. Played futbol (soccer) my entire childhood only to have a knee surgery at 17 and end of the cherished dad's soccer golden boy. That was it, I was pretty decent, playing for sub17 club leagues and whatevs, once I was done with it, I was glad. I love futbol and I can still play at a chill pace but I'll play under my own terms, the way I want.

Parents can be eager to share their passions with their kids and that's beautiful but you need to let your kids develop their own ideals, hobbies, passions, anything that brings individuality, your job is to provide solid values and true love. Don't alienate your kids with things they don't enjoy the same way you do, it isn't necessary, presenting it is nice, let them get a taste for it, that's great but let them develop curiosity as well, that's one of our best traits as individuals.