Neo Geo is great for retro gaming and parenting

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Earlier this year, my son was born and with that, my gaming habits changed.

I used to be able to spend my downtime clearing through Zelda games, pumping hours into Final Fantasy, just really enjoying old SNES games and newer WiiU titles.

Today I tried to start a new game in FFVI on SNES and that lasted about as long as my sons nap before I was back to trying to entertain a 5 month old.

I came to the conclusion that RPGs and anything that's really time intensive has to go on the back burner.

But I have found myself playing my Neo Geo more because it's made to be shorter spurts of gameplay. And with a Unibios, the menu pause feature works great in a pinch. He also loves to watch me play Metal Slug while strapped into his chest carrier. He even started to try and work the controls.

Anyone else have an ankle-biter and have trouble finding time for games?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I still manage to get in 30 minutes to an hour every day or so after my little one goes to bed. I am totally over long RPG's and modern games though so I just stick to the cabs now which offer the kind of gameplay I am looking for - a good challenge in short bursts.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Don't have an ankle biter yet but will get there in a couple of years. Looks like my life long dream of a complete collection of AES games is coming to a stop soon. I'll just have settle with a cmvs with shitty labels. but I digress....

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'm too selfish to buy condoms, I just race my wife to see who can cum first.

I don't understand how that rids you of the need to buy condoms. If you blow your load before your wife can cum, she can't get pregnant?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Probably because his wife always wins. Hence no need for condoms.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'm too selfish to buy condoms, I just race my wife to see who can cum first.

It's only funny cause its true.

Yes, your "extended" free time is over for several years, but then it'll evolve into something different.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
My experience mirrors the OP.

It nearly killed me playing Mass Effect 3 because it had to be done over a 2 week period between 10pm and 2am when everyone was asleep.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Everyone is at different stages in their lives. Some can barely take care themselves let alone a family. I have a 6 yr old, 4 year old and another on the way. It'll be our last.

And I actually game more lately. My eldest loves playing on our cabs and is a riot whenever I have get togethers. For example, these are all ng.com forum regulars shmuping it up recently with my kid.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408543196.562113.jpg

I can't imagine life without em but then again, I'm probably boring compared to how I lived life 10 years ago if you ask some of my old friends. lol

To the OP, you have fun times ahead. Only people without kids say they suck. ;)

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
250px-Washu.jpg

what game is that with the Washu marquee? if the game doesn't match the marquee would also like to know the marquee.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Hola Karoucakes. The marquee is Dolphin Blue. Game is not Dolphin Blue. ;)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're all young still, most of you that have kids have little kids. Wait 'till they're teens, if you're still thinking the same way then you're doing great along with a small percentage of people in the world. Congrats then, but truth be told I hardly doubt it. Your kids will be teens, hate your guts, and so will you. Part of the process, sucks balls.

There are 2 things I've need heard any of the people I've dealt with brag about, marriage and kids. Not a fucken one has told me, hey I'm glad I have this!

It's like boats! Everybody is gunning for one and once they have it all is dandy until they have to work on it.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
The closer I get to 40, I sure as hell don't feel young. Naps are key. Haha.

Edit - PS EG, kids can be challenging, sure. A lot of parenting is learning as you go, but such is life. I just choose to look at the experience as a whole (challenges or not) as a positive. If the teen years are more challenging? We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Kthx. ;)

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
The closer I get to 40, I sure as hell don't feel young. Naps are key. Haha.

Edit - PS EG, kids can be challenging, sure. A lot of parenting is learning as you go, but such is life. I just choose to look at the experience as a whole (challenges or not) as a positive. If the teen years are more challenging? We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Kthx. ;)

Not sure I can add much to this, except with 3 kids you're out numbered KGB!

EG-
"I'm glad I have this, kids and marriage"
-Bob

I think you might be asking the wrong people. I love being married and my kids, wouldn't change a thing. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
@terry Some of us are at different stages in our lives. It's cool that you have a family and can deal with it. Again not having a family doesn't mean anything, you however make it sound like not having a family means you can't afford it or manage it? I'm confused, which is it?

@dogg, I don't ask, never do, they just tell me 'cause they seem to think I care.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Some of us are at different stages in our lives. It's cool that you have a family and can deal with it. Again not having a family doesn't mean anything, you however make it sound like not having a family means you can't afford it or manage it? I'm confused, which is it?

EG pls. U off your meds again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lol, get off with that shit, I'm just being honest, but thanks for caring.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Honest with what?

You are reading too much into stuff. They didn't say anything about people not being able to afford or manage it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Honest with what?

You are reading too much into stuff. They didn't say anything about people not being able to afford or manage it.

Honest with this assumption.

Everyone is at different stages in their lives. Some can barely take care themselves let alone a family. Only people without kids say they suck. ;)

So what the fuck are you trying to do here?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
^I think what KGB is saying that people sans kids, think that kids suck. People who have kids don't say their kids suck.