Neo Geo is great for retro gaming and parenting

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
@terry Some of us are at different stages in our lives. It's cool that you have a family and can deal with it. Again not having a family doesn't mean anything, you however make it sound like not having a family means you can't afford it or manage it? I'm confused, which is it?

So what the fuck are you trying to do here?

Take it for face value. I'm not implying anything and I didn't equate not having a family to being less than someone with a family. I've refrained from acknowledging your negativity and I'll continue to do so. Save it for your pal DK. :lolz:

^I think what KGB is saying that people sans kids, think that kids suck. People who have kids don't say their kids suck.

Yup. You da man, Bob. ;)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Congrats to the OP...parenthood is rad. As my man Teddy said, you have will have fun times ahead.

Sure parenthood comes with some sacrifice, but thats ok...its not the first/only time we have to make sacrifices. Speaking from my own experience...I cut back on game time when in college, when I started my first job and when I got married as well. But each of these things have their own benefits.

Would I like some more gaming time? Sure. But if I have to chose, I'd much rather spend the time with my 2 1/2 year old daughter, playing in the park, having a tea party, or reading a story. I've got a lot on my plate, full time work, part time school, marriage and being a dad...but I still manage to get some gaming time in here and there. My recommendation to the OP is get some handhelds (if you don't already have some). I played a lot of 3DS and Vita while lying down next to my daughter while she was napping. I also recommend getting some nice surround sound headphones for console gaming at night...just make sure you can hear/see the baby monitor. :)

P.S. Congrats to Teddy as well on #3!!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Hola Karoucakes. The marquee is Dolphin Blue. Game is not Dolphin Blue. ;)

well what freakin game is it then? that was the important part, its got robuts!

please:crying:

ps:good luck with all that!

sorry everyone! Teddy won't accept my pm... so I continue off topiclike.

kids yeah uh, great, good for you? pretty sure they should be the only thing important to you once you decide to grow one? so I guess op saying the child allows for enough ''free'' time for neo is correct?

I'm pretty jealous. I'm not certain enough I could provide for a child yet at all much less multiples of them.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I guess I'll just add that parenthood is not for everyone....and thats ok. It's probably a good thing that some folks chose not to grow kids.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
grow one-Life begins at conception(:emb: controversial statement)? I didn't think it was necessary to mention choosing not to abort.
so yeah just a really simple way of saying that at that point it should be the most important thing.

I still want to know what game that is, durn it!

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you get the urge to rpg, use a PSP or Vita. Tons of great games available, and you can put it on standby at any time. Really handy when the little one starts crying.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If you get the urge to play shit games look no further and play a RPG.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
When I was younger, my mother advised me to never have children. The jury is out as to whether I will pass on the same advice.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
This is one of the reasons I have gotten back into collecting Neo Geo recently. I am starting a family and I doubt I'll buy much after the first kid comes; and the NG has always been great for short burst gaming.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
...much like EG i've been very anti me and kids...I've recently tested that waters with a girlfriend with 2 kids...to you know, test the waters...eshhh, idk...I haven't exactly been blown away...perhaps the 2-5yrs age bracket isn't the most enjoyable though...

I suspect the 7-13 age group would be a lot better. However I fear I've waited too long now for marriage/kids...no debt and no mortage, I've got a lot too lose at this point...shoulda taken the plunge at 20 when I didnt have SHIT. Ah well, I'll leave all my stuff to that Galloping Ghost arcade when I kick the bucket eventually I guess...

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Sure parenthood comes with some sacrifice, but thats ok...its not the first/only time we have to make sacrifices. Speaking from my own experience...I cut back on game time when in college, when I started my first job and when I got married as well. But each of these things have their own benefits.

This basically mirrors what I was going to say. Having a kid is a big adjustment, especially when your used to staying up all night gaming or watching entire seasons of TV shows on Netflix. You really don't realize just how much you took your time for granted before you had kids until you have one. That being said I found that Neo Geo and arcade gaming are perfect ways to get your fix without the time commitment of an RPG or another long console game. Before bed and during nap time rounds of Metal Slug certainly help you stay sane. :)

Also unofficialitguy, your in the golden age of child rearing right now. Multiple naps, carriers, bouncy seats, swings... how those days seem so long ago and my son is 3 now. Those were some glorious days.

Most importantly get enough sleep. I work nights while my wife works a normal 9 to 5, so it took me quite some time to adjust to this new found lifestyle. Just be flexible and try not to get mad at your baby for being a baby. I know it seems like common sense, but I grew up with a father who reminded me how much he resented having a wife and kids on an almost daily basis. That shit is just not cool.

Congrats!

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Wow! Lots or responses!

In regards to handhelds: I have a 3DS that I use for gaming (at work mostly). Mainly my console gaming time has taken a hit.

In regards to sleep: Naps are awesome. Hands down the only way I can get sleep with my schedule (3PM-2AM Sunday-Wednesday). I think a day shift would be easier to adjust to this change.

In regards to RPGs: I used to play them a lot more then I do now. I still want to find one of these bad boys:
ascii one handed.jpg

In regards to multiplayer: I can't wait for this kid to get old enough to team up in MS :)

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'm about to join fatherhood, actually today is my wife's due date still no kid though. As others have said it takes all kinds. There are definitely people who look down upon those who have no desire to marry or have kids. They treat those 2 things as some kind of life measuring goal. And that's probably where EG is voicing his opinion against.

Marriage and child raising are big responsibilities. Either you want them or you don't and there are some who don't quite grasp the magnitude of those commitments and do poorly by those in said family/relationship. But to those who don't have them or aspire to have them shouldn't be judged.

Arcade/retro gaming tends to fit the time constraints of those with other commitments, but not sure if it fits the financial aspect all that well.

ruderudie

Cheng's Errand Boy
Same here, got a 4 month old so there is practically no more real gaming now, although there already was no hours of gaming a day before. Now it's like half an hour a week and yes, only on the cabs and only fast paced arcade games, mostly jamma and neo. Last monday i played some Progear while the little guy was in the carrier, he was so amazed by al the bullets and colours he looked stoned! I don't really feel as if i don't have enough time playing games though, most of the times i'm already glad if i can get some quality time with the misses or just crash and watch a movie with a beer. Priorities change naturally i guess, but hell, if the guy is about 4 years old i'll just begin to teach him some fireball motions and crazy bullet dodging skills.. :)

Naika

Street Hoop Star
The closer I get to 40, I sure as hell don't feel young. Naps are key. Haha.

Edit - PS EG, kids can be challenging, sure. A lot of parenting is learning as you go, but such is life. I just choose to look at the experience as a whole (challenges or not) as a positive. If the teen years are more challenging? We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Kthx. ;)

Super late to the convo, but well said. :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
but hell, if the guy is about 4 years old i'll just begin to teach him some fireball motions and crazy bullet dodging skills.. :)

Which is more or less the equivalent of a parent forcing there kid to listen to Frank Sinatra records.

No disrespect to the parents who involve their kids in their hobby, or to members who have fond memories of their own parent's involvement in their formative years of gaming...but if I ever have kids I'm going to hide my games from them like a stack of dusty playboys.

Of course that's assuming I still have video games and haven't metamorphosed into a shell of my former self who can't recall of ever having interests prior to fatherhood.

Last edited:

Coleridge

Pleasure Goal
My son is 17 months now. There was definitely an adjustment in my gaming habits when we brought him home, but it's a really positive experience for me. He seems to enjoy the retro games and so, I've been sharing a lot of them with him. I can still get in some time for an RPG now and then, but I keep that time restricted to weekends. I've also recently set up our basement as the gaming area so my son, the wife and I can all share the space together and "hang out" as a family.

We also have some nice family time doing a little game hunting at the local flea market on Saturdays. We all get a nice bit of exercise, sometimes I find something cool, and he always gets a cookie at the end. We all win.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Misleading title totally thought it was gonna be about your neo geo raising your kids for you haha

ruderudie

Cheng's Errand Boy
Which is more or less the equivalent of a parent forcing there kid to listen to Frank Sinatra records.

It's not about parents forcing their kids to do anything. Everyone i know in the arcade hobby who has kids never forced the kids to play games but they all like the old games, because they wete in fact ment to be played by kids unlike a lot of games today. I don't play games where i blow some guys head off which looks scary realistic, so that's cool. But hell, i dad is a crazy football or baseball fan, the kid will likely be crazy about that too. As long as you can keep things moderate and let gaming be something they can do a limited period a day, the kids will be just fine.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

No disrespect to the parents who involve their kids in their hobby, or to members who have fond memories of their own parent's involvement in their formative years of gaming...but if I ever have kids I'm going to hide my games from them like a stack of dusty playboys.

Of course that's assuming I still have video games and haven't metamorphosed into a shell of my former self who can't recall of ever having interests prior to fatherhood.

I'm so glad you brought this up 'cause I was thinking the same thing as well. My dad used to make me play his Gardel Tango records and be a DJ for him on the weekends, I enjoyed it 'cause it was time spent with him, but I did not turn into a big Tango connoisseur even though I kinda was back in the day 'cause I had to learn the names.

As a child, a son, you will look for individuality, it will come. The last thing you want to do is to alienate your kid from your passions, so maybe let him see it and wonder about it, if he's curious show him, don't get overwhelming, just let the kid dab on it and if this is something interesting for your kid, let him find out on his own. Finding cool things on your own usually means more to us than stuff passed down from our parents because we think it's theirs and not ours.