neo geo aes CRAZY prices?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Darksoft is supposedly working on a better multicart for the Neo so that we don't have to rely on less than stellar Chinese bootlegs. Multicarts will always work better than an Everdrive setup due to the additional time it would take to load the roms and have them work properly.

This was all detailed in a long (and drama filled) thread if you're interested in searching for it. Beyond that, you can check up on his progress on his site's forums.

http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/40-neogeo-aes-multigame-cartridge/&pageNo=1

Last edited:

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Darksoft is supposedly working on a better multicart for the Neo so that we don't have to rely on less than stellar Chinese bootlegs. Multicarts will always work better than an Everdrive setup due to the additional time it would take to load the roms and have them work properly.

This was all detailed in a long (and drama filled) thread if you're interested in searching for it. Beyond that, you can check up on his progress on his site's forums.

http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/40-neogeo-aes-multigame-cartridge/&pageNo=1

Thanks for this, I had no idea

xorthen

Banned
Yeah, agreed. I remember when I paid around $500 for Pulstar AES years ago and now I checked ebay and see it for 2000 bucks. WTF, and SVC used to be around 150 bucks, now it's like 300? Fucking a, I hate this retro trend thing. I used to love when the forum had great deals on here too. Now everybody charges top dollar for the games or ebay resellers are not willing to do deals anymore. I think at this point this shit needs to just die. It's a cancer.

I remember Dracula X was around 90-120 dollar range, now it's beyond that. I sold Street Fighter Zero 3 on Saturn years ago to some guy on here for cheap and now it's worth a shit load more. It's like being generous with gaming isn't a thing anymore. It's about top dollar dick waggling. There is too much new blood in the scene and it fucking stinks.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
A neo geo everdrive would be a god send , it was also do alot to bring down some of the prices. I know I would probably ditch alot of my game as soon one was released. A with anything neo geo it would probably cost an arm and a leg...$500 plus wouldnt surprise me.

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
I know prices are expensive. Just goes to show how valuable Neo-Geo games are without people realizing it. Owning Neo-Geo games is more than just money, it's the glory of knowing that you own a (SNK) Neo-Geo game IMO. I own lots of titles that were much cheaper when I bought them but are so much more expensive now.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Seemed like yesterday a slice of pizza was $1 and now it’s +$3!!!

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
And even worse: Is it real? Or just a cheap conversion? It's just no fun to get pizza nowadays...

If you want to enjoy authentic pizza (rare ones), you might need to spend a fortune at a dedicated restaurant nowadays.

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
I know prices are expensive. Just goes to show how valuable Neo-Geo games are without people realizing it. Owning Neo-Geo games is more than just money, it's the glory of knowing that you own a (SNK) Neo-Geo game IMO. I own lots of titles that were much cheaper when I bought them but are so much more expensive now.

That's what I'm talking about! I am SAKAMOSTRO and I second that message.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Very true! I love owning a neo geo, nonetheless several of them including the neo cdz, 2 pocket handhelds and a cmvs. Despite rising prices, i always try to find deals on any snk games. Its getting harder.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Are prices ever gonna go down? I doubt it. As I see it, prices are just gonna up and up.

Everything retro is getting bigger every day. I hate it when retro gaming hits the main stream.

EXAMPLES:

and a shitty article put up by cnn

Last edited:

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
If anyone has the right to be upset about this shit, it's me. I still have my receipts of when I bought Ninja Masters English AES brand new for $179 in 1996, and Metal Slug 1 and 2 brand new English AES for like $259 and $279 back in 1996 and 1998, and I just had to buy Metal Slug 2 for 2.500Euros like new, Ninja Masters like new for 3,500Euros, and I can't even FIND a Metal Slug 1 English AES cart no matter how much it costs. I fucking HATE price inflation on these games. My gut TOLD me not to sell the shit back in 1999, and I just have listened to my gut, because now I might never get the chance to find a new Metal Slug 1 English or Japanese version on AES ever again. Selling off my games in 1999 was THE biggest mistake I ever made. Sure, I might get back most of them, but, get back all of them? Doubtful.

Even if I win the lottery, it's not about getting the money, it's about finding the people willing to give up just one of their carts that they hoard, when they damn well know that they can easily part with one of their Metal Slug 1 AES carts that they own 3 or 4 of, but, they love having a ton of them, which is what is driving the price up further. If everyone just had one cart of each game, it would be a much easier task in obtaining them. I can only hope that happens one day so I can get back my Stakes Winner, Metal Slug, and Neo Turf Masters.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If anyone has the right to be upset about this shit, it's me. I still have my receipts of when I bought Ninja Masters English AES brand new for $179 in 1996, and Metal Slug 1 and 2 brand new English AES for like $259 and $279 back in 1996 and 1998, and I just had to buy Metal Slug 2 for 2.500Euros like new, Ninja Masters like new for 3,500Euros, and I can't even FIND a Metal Slug 1 English AES cart no matter how much it costs. I fucking HATE price inflation on these games. My gut TOLD me not to sell the shit back in 1999, and I just have listened to my gut, because now I might never get the chance to find a new Metal Slug 1 English or Japanese version on AES ever again. Selling off my games in 1999 was THE biggest mistake I ever made. Sure, I might get back most of them, but, get back all of them? Doubtful.

Even if I win the lottery, it's not about getting the money, it's about finding the people willing to give up just one of their carts that they hoard, when they damn well know that they can easily part with one of their Metal Slug 1 AES carts that they own 3 or 4 of, but, they love having a ton of them, which is what is driving the price up further. If everyone just had one cart of each game, it would be a much easier task in obtaining them. I can only hope that happens one day so I can get back my Stakes Winner, Metal Slug, and Neo Turf Masters.

Ouch. that sucks big time. especially with those metal slug carts.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Part of this is because some people finally started to realise that the shitty mass market games on their brand new trend consoles aren't nearly as much fun as many of the 80's and 90's classics from their childhood. Good morning... that's what you get when you let the greedy multinationals in.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Ouch. that sucks big time. especially with those metal slug carts.

Tell me about it, I have the original receipts staring me in the eye daily, just as a reminder to NEVER sell things that you love, no matter how much you need money fast. You WILL regret it later. :P

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member

Thoughts:

(1) Anyone who sold more than five years ago has gotten hammered.

(2) Good on you for accepting the current reality and getting back in since you miss those games - I'm assuming that the cost is not something that's affecting your long term finances.

(3) Burn the receipts. They're really not serving any purpose other than to pour salt on the wound. You might even find that it's cathartic.

(4) You are absolutely right about the very rare high value carts - paying the price isn't the issue in many cases, it's finding anyone willing to sell even at the ridiculous prices. It's shocking how limited the selection has gotten even in the past couple of years - you just don't see high value homecarts on these forums anymore. There are many collectors who aren't satisfied in having a complete collection because there are "too many" others with the same (gotta love the Neo); so they go out and buy up additional copies of rare games to try to make themselves stand out from the others. And you're absolutely right, those people are probably the biggest part of the problem, but it's worse than you think because they're not done and the next time a rare game comes up for sale, they'll be one of the first bidders. Outside of getting lucky, the only thing you can do on stuff like MS1 and NTF/BTG is put out a retarded bounty and hope someone bites (and even then expect to wait months and I hope you know how to personally confirm an authentic homecart).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Don't burn the receipts. Upload the images. I think receipts are cool thing to have as a refrence. I still have the receipt from the original owner who I purchased a gold system from. It's nice to know where it was purchased and how much he paid for it. Plus newcomers to the Neo scene might want some proof.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
The future is MVS.

Seriously, it's great having the AES/home cart with box, insert and manual but at the end of the day, playing the game is the best bit about having a Neo Geo right?

The majority of games on the MVS are pretty cheap and having a unibios and sticking in AES mode, it's just the same as playing an AES console;

Metal Slug MVS = $60
Metal Slug 2 MVS = $60
Ninja Master's MVS = $100+
Stakes Winner = $30
Neo Turf Masters = $35

Once I started buying MVS, I never looked back :D

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Damn, really sucks to hear about that fakk2. Id be pretty upset about that as well. At least mvs isnt as bad as aes

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
The future is MVS.

Seriously, it's great having the AES/home cart with box, insert and manual but at the end of the day, playing the game is the best bit about having a Neo Geo right?

The majority of games on the MVS are pretty cheap and having a unibios and sticking in AES mode, it's just the same as playing an AES console;

Metal Slug MVS = $60
Metal Slug 2 MVS = $60
Ninja Master's MVS = $100+
Stakes Winner = $30
Neo Turf Masters = $35

Once I started buying MVS, I never looked back :D

Better snap up all your MVS carts now because these have been rising in prices too. A few years ago, you couldn't even give away MVS carts. Now that consolization is a staple in Neo collecting, everyone is running to MVS as a gaming system and leaving AES collecting to the hardcores. If there is no market correction, we could easily see Pulstar, Sengoku 2 and other high demand carts enter into the $400-$500 range in a couple of years. How would you define cheap at that point?

Fakk2 is spot on with hoarding. Available population for sale is driving prices up. No one in hell wants to sell off a Metal Slug 1 AES, so potential buyers will have to wait until an old-timer quits the hobby or snipe an Ebay auction if you're at the right place at the right time. Then you have to make sure the cart is legit, or even buy the cart in person with a jeweler's loupe. The irony is that Metal Slug 1 is not "extremely rare" game, like say an English Kizuna Encounter. Yet, since so many people are holding on to that cart, the available population is ridiculously low. I've only seen 3 for sale in the past 6 or 7 years.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
playing the game is the best bit about having a Neo Geo..... right?

:lolz: quote-worthy stuff right there! It definitely should be, but isn’t for most of the collectors. I totally get the satisfaction of building a collection just for the sake of having. I do it with things that aren’t videogames and some people think I’m crazy for it. But having multiple copies of metal Slug 1 on AES just because ‘too many other people have complete set’, that’s fucking batshit insane.