NBA playoffs

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Something is starting to annoy me, but I might be alone in this one, tho'. I keep seeing shows and analists saying that Golden State needed 4 All Stars to just beat Lebron. While that's an overtly dramatic narrative, the first thing that popped into my head was "Wait a second... they did that with 3 back in 2015 when LeBron ran out of gas." And in 2016 it took the comeback of the century and both Love and Irving playing lights out to defeat a GS squad with a suspended (for one game, sure) Dreymond and a hurt (by most accounts) Curry. Even if you want to go with "no way he was hurt" (fine by me), that just means that it still took a MASSIVE effort and Love and Irving to play the series of their lifetime to defeat GS. 3 All Stars vs. 3 All Stars.

What I'm trying to say is that the narrative that it took 4 All Stars to beat Lebron is stupid and makes no sense. What I'm saying is that it took GS 4 All Stars to defeat 3 All Stars. And I dunno about you, but that's solid math to me.

(If you want to argue that Love isn't an All Star, I guess that means his 2016 finals run was just a fluke?)

It bothers me too, although in 2015, Love and Irving were hurt so it was basically Lebron against the whole team. Last year, Warriors were up 3-1 until Green decided to go WWE and they lost one of the big guys to injury. Frankly, I think they choked.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What annoys me is that it's really hard to build a team through the draft in the NBA. What GS did was geniusful. The Wizards were trying to build through the draft then lost patience. Traded their first round picks away for rentals.

Wizards went against the Celtics with a 6 man rotation. Celtics played 10. They had way better depth on the bench. With this draft, the number 1 pick, they will be sick for at least 5 years. Meanwhile, Wizards are stretched thin with 2 max contacts and soon a third with Otto Porter. In 3 years Wizards will implode. :(

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nuggets have drafted extremely well recently. Recent Nuggets draft picks/draft day trade acquisitions:
Gary Harris
Nikola Jokic
Jusuf Nurkic (traded to Portland)
Emmanuel Mudiay
Jamal Murray
Juancho Hernangomez
Malik Beasley

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nuggets have drafted extremely well recently. Recent Nuggets draft picks/draft day trade acquisitions:
Gary Harris
Nikola Jokic
Jusuf Nurkic (traded to Portland)
Emmanuel Mudiay
Jamal Murray
Juancho Hernangomez
Malik Beasley

Jokic and Harris are good, but Mudiay has been a letdown. He had a lot of hype coming into the draft 2 years ago. And I think that's another problem in the NBA draft: the drop off of talent from the top three picks to the rest is insane.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
It bothers me too, although in 2015, Love and Irving were hurt so it was basically Lebron against the whole team.

That's my point, and its good to see you share the sentiment. The whole "it took 4 all stars to beat LeBron" is basically bullshit is what I'm trying to say. It took 3 to take him down (because he ran out of gas) in 2015. THEN when Love and Irving were having the series of their lives they managed to beat GS. So that's 3 all stars from the Cavs and 3 all stars from GS (albeit Curry was apparently hurt and Dreymond got suspended for one game). It didn't take 4 all stars to take down LeBron this years, it took 4 all stars to beat the 3 all stars from the Cavs. And that's just math.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's my point, and its good to see you share the sentiment. The whole "it took 4 all stars to beat LeBron" is basically bullshit is what I'm trying to say. It took 3 to take him down (because he ran out of gas) in 2015. THEN when Love and Irving were having the series of their lives they managed to beat GS. So that's 3 all stars from the Cavs and 3 all stars from GS (albeit Curry was apparently hurt and Dreymond got suspended for one game). It didn't take 4 all stars to take down LeBron this years, it took 4 all stars to beat the 3 all stars from the Cavs. And that's just math.

Cleveland's payroll was the highest in the league this season ($128.5m). I think GS was at 7th, spending 21 million less on payroll. GS has room to get better.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Jokic and Harris are good, but Mudiay has been a letdown. He had a lot of hype coming into the draft 2 years ago. And I think that's another problem in the NBA draft: the drop off of talent from the top three picks to the rest is insane.

I've seen every game Mudiay has ever played, and he shows signs at times. Towards the end of this past regular season he and Jokic were meshing extremely well together, and Mudiay actually improved his defense and free throw shooting substantially. His biggest problem is his high turnover rate, but that's a hot/cold thing that I think will improve with experience. He is still very young and has very little experience. But the good thing is he is a very hard worker and he has a great attitude. He stayed ready when he got benched and came back a much better player when Nelson went down and they needed him.

He's not going to start over Jamal Murray but he should relegate Jameer Nelson to the end of the bench this year and be a good #2 point guard.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I actually hope the Cavs would trade Irving for Paul George. Then maybe the Cavs could actually get some help defensively.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I'll just use this thread for NBA Offseason, too.

Chris Paul is now a Houston Rocket. Celtics are trying to get both Paul George and Gordon Hayward (seeming more plausible by the second).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Rockets were a lot of fun to watch last season. Probably the most fun. CP3 will make them a real contender.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kind of glad to see Doc Rivers' and Phil Jackson's years of incompetence finally coming to bear on them. Sounds like CP3 really hated Doc and Austin both, and I hope to Jeebus that no team is stupid enough to sign Phil for anything again, ever.

Magic's shot at D'Angelo Russell the other day was pretty funny. Not real sure how necessary it was, but probably 100% true.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Rockets were a lot of fun to watch last season. Probably the most fun. CP3 will make them a real contender.
Absolutely, I almost always tuned into Rockets games last year. I really wish I could stay up late more frequently to watch Warriors games, but now especially Houston is a great alternative.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Chicago Bulls - "Let's look like the biggest idiots in sports this year."

Indiana Pacers - "Hold my beer."

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I think there's good potential for the Bucks to get even better. Giannis Antetokounmpo is an absolute beast that can do everything and having Jabari Parker is also a major plus. Milwaukee will probably be the best team in the East after a few more years.

Edit: Sixers could be really good as well, but I'd need to see more from Fultz and Embiid needs to stay healthy.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nuggets got EXACTLY who they needed to get: Paul Millsap. He can protect the rim, he can play the high-low game with Jokic, he can rebound, and he can score. Excellent signing.

This makes us a playoff team. Utah, the Clippers, and Memphis should all fall out with Denver, Minnesota, and maybe New Orleans or Sacramento jumping back up.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Now word is that Gordon Hayward's agent says he has NOT announced where he is going. Most likely to sign with Miami, Utah, or Boston.

Edit: Finally official, Hayward to Celts.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Its official, this is better then Paul George going to the Celtics. OKC Blunders were stupid/desperate...They gave up 2 assets for someone who probably wont sign next seasons. It would be great if Westbrook & George leave the Blunders.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Honestly, being a Magic fan, Oladipo is not really that great. Plays SG and cannot shoot the ball to save his life.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Oladipo sucks. Thunder are the second team to go oh hey we thought you were better than that there's the door.

They gave up jack and shit for Paul George, which makes the Celtics look dumb for the second time in 2 weeks (could have had Butler if they wanted him, but as usual Ainge sits with both thumbs up his ass). Could have traded for him and signed Hayward, and they'd be a serious challenger to the Cavs. As is, they're still not gonna beat the Cavs let alone any of the bloodsport in the West.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Apparently Boston is now going after Marc Gasol. I understand that Celtics fans want to get better quicker, but there's no rush in getting to the NBA Finals to get clobbered by the Warriors. If Golden State stays healthy they could potentially win the next 2-3 Finals.

Last edited: