My love for fighting games has gone down the shitter

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
My suggestion, other than what everyone else has said (having people you enjoy playing with that not only are good winners and losers but also push you to get better is the best medicine for fighting game fatigue) would be to branch out and try series or styles of fighting games you wouldn't traditionally play. I got burnt out around 2003 and "retired" from tournament play (not coincidentally around the time all of my local arcades shut down and the community more or less dried up) and played almost nothing for several years. While I credit HDR with bringing me back in to the fold, the fire initially came back screwing around with weird stuff like Rumble Fish 2 and Arcana Heart Full (games that relied on mostly new mechanics where I couldn't just fall back on 10+ years of Street Fighter/KoF experience).

So if you're a SF/KoF kinda guy, try some of the air dashing games (Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Under Night/Arcana Heart/etc.). If you're in to Tekken/Soul Calibur, try Virtua Fighter. If you're in to Smash Bros, kill yourself. Just kidding. Whatever floats your boat.

Or, honestly, you just may need to take a break. I went 3 or 4 years playing almost no fighting games and it gave me a chance to cleanse my palette.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Com'on Spike, don't give up! Look at Jackie... he didn't give up! :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm in the same boat as Spike. SFIV had me going for a little but it got old quick. I just play Super Turbo, Third Strike, or SamSho3 when I'm feeling blue.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Smash is fucking gay and people who play it have sex with fat chicks.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm officially retired from Fighting games. Takes time from other games and now that I'm working again and doing things around the house and nursing my Mom, I just don't have the time or the interest in them.

That being said, I will come out of retirement for SS2, LB1, and KoF 98 if I'm around people who play them.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I grew up playing arcade games in the 80's/90's and was heavily into fighting games in that era. I loved being in an arcade(or for that matter, a local 711) and playing 1 on 1 with people. Ever since arcades died out and everything switched over to "online play", I stopped caring. It's just not the same playing with people online as opposed to in person. These days I'll start playing some fighting game here & there(mostly single-player), but I'll get bored quickly and stop.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I only really like to play the classics, especially with friends.
Last fighting game I liked was guilty gear. I think a fighting game should be sprite based, so the newer stuff doesn't attract me at all, although the new guilty gear looks so close to sprites, I may have to try it.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Fighting games have never been my absolute favorite genre. That would probably go to either shmups or platformers. However, after all the years I do still enjoy most classic fighters from the '90's and some early '00's ones. Can't say I've played anything since the Ps2 but that won't stop me from getting down on some Samurai Spirits 2 later this evening.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I think the last time I was super into fighters was during the Capcom vs SNK 2 online games we played. I loved the hell out of that game, and mostly because I understood all the nuances of the game, and got a lot of competition. I guess I'm of the mindset that I don't grasp all the new shit because, quite simply, I fail to care about it like I used to.

I remember liking fighting games because it was like an actual fight. Seeing characters punching and kicking each other was cool to me. But after you get good with the game, it's less about the fighting and more about technique. So much, that the fighting gets sorta lost... and you're just doing what it takes to win. So it turns into a blur of pixels doing things that doesn't actually resemble fighting at all. I know that sounds insane, but I guess that's where I am at.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
my best "advice" is to play what you love man. Feeling forced to play because of a heavy marketing campaign, or to follow your peers, or be "up to date". is just stupid if you like KOF 98 play it man, at the end of the day you don't have to like new games.

That being said, for some reason i found myself heavily enjoying the new KI, it was just amazing, I keep having a blast with this game.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Lately, I've had a resurgence of interest in video games. I've been playing tons of stuff on PS4 and am even excited for Mario Maker for Wii U. But one thing has come to my attention: I couldn't give a shit less about fighting games any longer. I don't seem to remotely care any more.

Anyone else get tired of them too? I feel they had their day, and now they're sorta just blah.
Do you mean the newer 3D fighting games? How can you get tired of older 2D fighters, like SF2, SFA2/SFA3, SFIII? I can never get tired of them, even though I've played them to death.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
On and off any time i play a fighter as of late.I can't say i keep up with the modern ones to much,last one id played was guilty gear xrd.Still the more complex they get it,can be difficult to keep up with.Though i don't play to death which is why i'm not sick of the genre.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Lately, I've had a resurgence of interest in video games. I've been playing tons of stuff on PS4 and am even excited for Mario Maker for Wii U. But one thing has come to my attention: I couldn't give a shit less about fighting games any longer. I don't seem to remotely care any more.

Anyone else get tired of them too? I feel they had their day, and now they're sorta just blah.

If I had your Forza setup I wouldn't give a shit about fighting games either...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Anybody can get burnt on fighting games. Personally I barely play the newer ones. Either it's lame footsies or a combo system too broken because they try to make it too easy for new players. KOF XIII, VF5 are the exceptions, but I find myself wanting to play people in older games, or finding something else to play when everyone wants to play the latest and greatest.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Anybody can get burnt on fighting games. Personally I barely play the newer ones. Either it's lame footsies or a combo system too broken because they try to make it too easy for new players. KOF XIII, VF5 are the exceptions, but I find myself wanting to play people in older games, or finding something else to play when everyone wants to play the latest and greatest.

Lame footsies? Since when are footsies in fighting games consider bad?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I get this way as well with fighting games but I always go back. The worst part is not having people to play against, after a while the CPU just doesn't cut it and nowhere near as fun as a good 2P match.

It's just like any sports game... it's not any fun unless you have someone next to you to bash and hold it over their head when you win.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
The thing with fighting games is you need local competition for them to be fun and exciting. Unless you're traveling to tournaments and constantly getting in sets with decent people it's gonna get boring as fuck playing people online with input delay or sitting in training mode all day. If you live in an area with an active scene, it's hella fun.

agree
reminds me of good old Street Fighter II Turbo era

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Definitely what I play the least these days. But, actually, I haven't loved fighting games since the mid 90s.

I copped a Fatal Fury 3 MVS cart last weekend though. Had a lot of fun with that, so far.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Games are a lot like music. Your favorites will always be your favorites, or at the very least hold a special place, but no matter how much you love them they'll still get old and boring due to familiarity or changing interests.

You can't force yourself to love and enjoy something again. It just has to happen when your mind is ready for it. That's how I get with certain songs and games. Something random triggers memories in my mind, and the urge to enjoy again returns when I least expect it.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Lame footsies? Since when are footsies in fighting games consider bad?

It's a description, not an insult. Footsies can be offensive or defensive in style. I personally play a more offensive style of footsies. Lame footsies is the description of defensive style of footsies. Best description is Justin Wong since the definition came from his style.

SFIV punishes offensive style unless you go for vortexes constantly. A lot of players nag that footsies is the only way to play. Personally I take offense to calling it footsies by itself. Hence Lame Footsies (P.S. I didn't come up with the definition it been there for a bit).