My love for fighting games has gone down the shitter

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Lately, I've had a resurgence of interest in video games. I've been playing tons of stuff on PS4 and am even excited for Mario Maker for Wii U. But one thing has come to my attention: I couldn't give a shit less about fighting games any longer. I don't seem to remotely care any more.

Anyone else get tired of them too? I feel they had their day, and now they're sorta just blah.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I get this way as well with fighting games but I always go back. The worst part is not having people to play against, after a while the CPU just doesn't cut it and nowhere near as fun as a good 2P match.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
SF2 will never get old to me. Also love the Fatal Fury series and a handful of other SNK and Capcom fighters. Generally though I agree. The newer ones don't do anything for me.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I've always been more of a casual fan of the genre. Not really my favorite genre but it is one I can pick up a new game time to time and still get enjoyment out of them.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
As long as there's a decent arcade stick available, I can always have fun with a 2D fighter. I rarely play anything newer than the PS2/DC/XBox era though. The most recent release that I remember playing and having fun with was Blazblu on the PS3 and 360. The newest Guilty Gear game for the PS4 looks pretty good though. Might be worth checking out.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I go through phases of games and genres I like to play, but fighters and shooters are two genres I always come back to.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
mk3 kabal combos could rekindle that flame

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Spike are you talking about the new fighters (SFV, killer instinct) or even the classics?
Growing up with an arcade scene, i would say that my love for the fighting genre is now more of a nostalgic love.
Back in the A days, it was about the games but also the ambience and the friends at the arcade.
Now I mostly play because I want to remember those moments.

Not sure if you're looking to gain back that passion, but for me, I asked a bunch of friends to meet up and right away, the fighting love was back. :)

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The thing with fighting games is you need local competition for them to be fun and exciting. Unless you're traveling to tournaments and constantly getting in sets with decent people it's gonna get boring as fuck playing people online with input delay or sitting in training mode all day. If you live in an area with an active scene, it's hella fun.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Lately, I've had a resurgence of interest in video games. I've been playing tons of stuff on PS4 and am even excited for Mario Maker for Wii U. But one thing has come to my attention: I couldn't give a shit less about fighting games any longer. I don't seem to remotely care any more.

Anyone else get tired of them too? I feel they had their day, and now they're sorta just blah.

I feel you on this. I believe it has to do with the complexity of newer fighting games.

Fatal Fury Special, SF2 Turbo, SS2 and the likes I can always have fun and enjoy some matches.

But with newer games like TTT2, Tekken 7, SFIV/V for example everything has become super complex and competitive to the point you need to spend hours on end on mastering everything.

That's my view on the subject.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I feel you on this. I believe it has to do with the complexity of newer fighting games.

Fatal Fury Special, SF2 Turbo, SS2 and the likes I can always have fun and enjoy some matches.

But with newer games like TTT2, Tekken 7, SFIV/V for example everything has become super complex and competitive to the point you need to spend hours on end on mastering everything.

That's my view on the subject.

I agree on this as well, way too complex to manage multiple bars/gauges etc. I mean I can appreciate that these things add supposed extra depth to the chess match of a fight but they are not as welcoming as something as basic like FFS or SSF2T.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
When the arcades died in my area, so did my interest in fighters. I enjoyed the social aspects more than the fighting genre.

My gf and I did play some MOTW recently on my cab which was fun.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have put at least 100 hours into Super Smash Bros Melee in every year since its release. Never gets old.

Fighters are still my favorite genre, and I'm actually more hyped than normal because it seems like a Street Fighter game is going to be good for the first time since Third Strike or Alpha 3 MAX.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
When the arcades died in my area, so did my interest in fighters. I enjoyed the social aspects more than the fighting genre.

My gf and I did play some MOTW recently on my cab which was fun.

This was the best thing about the arcade scene but you can still look up places in your area that has a fight game community. Dont have one, then start one & hold gatherings. This is what i did for my area & i have bi-weekly in my garage. Best time to do it is probably right before SFV comes out.

As for me, SFIV killed my love for fighting games. HDR died & i really haven't found a game that i can really pour my soul into. Although SFV isn't that great, i can tell already its more enjoyable to play then SFIV. Im also starting to play a little bit of Guilty Gear XRD, since that's what my local scene is really into right now.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I think this is applicable to every game player and "their" genre.

I fell out with fighters about the time the arcade scene died. SF4 rekindled the flame for me and some close friends. I've found the genre fun again. Now for me, FPS has gone stagnant. I've enjoyed the competitive FPS scene since Q3/UT but its now blah to me. It doesn't give me that rush anymore, where fighting games now fill that void. Same thing with platformers. I've been away from them for so long that they are back to being fresh for me. I absolutely love my Wii U for all the platormers. I'm going to be all over Mario Maker.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
@HDR I got together with friends for a few years but sitting on the couch and mother fuckers pausing all the time changed it to unenjoyable.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I have put at least 100 hours into Super Smash Bros Melee in every year since its release. Never gets old.

Someone should slap you for referring to Smash Bros as a fighting game. It's a button mashing party game, not the same thing.

Anytime I tell someone I like fighting games and they say something about Smash Bros, I feel like I have to correct them.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I think this is applicable to every game player and "their" genre.

Not really.

The thing with fighting games is you need local competition for them to be fun and exciting. Unless you're traveling to tournaments and constantly getting in sets with decent people it's gonna get boring as fuck playing people online with input delay or sitting in training mode all day. If you live in an area with an active scene, it's hella fun.

I agree (not that Ive ever played in an active scene, or played online much)

IMO, the best way to keep a flame that could have died years ago half-alive is by learning new combos, and other sleazy gimmicks. The more broken the single player experience, the better.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
@HDR I got together with friends for a few years but sitting on the couch and mother fuckers pausing all the time changed it to unenjoyable.

Yeah i can see that being annoying...Lucky for us there are quite a few setups, if im not really learning or having fun playing someone ill just step out & challenge someone else. Its a really good environment to people who actually want to play fighting games. You should try to see if you ahve a local fgc in your area.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I've experienced loss of love for "the fighter". But that's when I'm spending too much time on modern iterations of it. Everytime I go back to SF2 or AOF I get all the love right back.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
SF2 will never get old to me. Also love the Fatal Fury series and a handful of other SNK and Capcom fighters. Generally though I agree. The newer ones don't do anything for me.

The latest fighter I can get into is MvC2, except a few bouts of MK9. There are five or six total I like, the rest are just meh, and mostly anything new just sucks. I haven't played Injustice, though, so it's difficult to say, but I wasn't impressed with SFIV.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Someone should slap you for referring to Smash Bros as a fighting game. It's a button mashing party game, not the same thing.

Anytime I tell someone I like fighting games and they say something about Smash Bros, I feel like I have to correct them.

Get the fuck out of here with that noise. Melee at the top level is as deep as any fighter out there. Lag cancelling, wave dashing, edge guarding, air dodging... Show up to a Melee tournament and try to win by button mashing.

Three stock, no items, Final Destination, one on one.

I've played and enjoyed all the top competitive fighters. Third Strike, Garou, Guily Gear XX, Super Turbo, KOF, VF, BlazBlue, whatever. All incredible games and Melee belongs right in the conversation with them.