motorcycle enthusiast thread.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
How is the supply of stock 70's Japanese Bikes out there in the Northwest?

Around here, everybody is destroying them for half assed Cafe Racer projects.

SSS

neo retired
How is the supply of stock 70's Japanese Bikes out there in the Northwest?

Around here, everybody is destroying them for half assed Cafe Racer projects.

It's the same here. There's more cafe junk than regular stock bikes. I was looking for a cb400f for months, it's quickly becoming one of the most collectable of the 70's CB fours. I think the popularity is increasing due to the fact that the 400 is so much fun to ride. The 750's are really nice but they are gigantic top heavy bikes.

I don't mind the cafe look if it is done tastefully. Meaning the bike can be put back to stock easily. All you really need is a bolt on seat and some clip on clubman bars. It's really sad to see when some ass goes to town with flat black rustoleum.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm seeing a huge demand for the 70's honda's, and also a huge price increase.

These bikes were before my time, but I bet they were first bikes for a lot of riders.

SSS

neo retired
I'm seeing a huge demand for the 70's honda's, and also a huge price increase.

These bikes were before my time, but I bet they were first bikes for a lot of riders.

They're smooth running and reliable. Parts are also still readily available. The cb400f is especially popular in japan. In the mid 90's a bunch were actually exported from the US back to japan.

These bikes made be old but the refinements are what you'll find on modern bikes. Electric start, idiot lights (warning) etc.. they are good candidates for cafe projects. Which unfortunately means finding unmolested stock bikes is getting harder.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
SSS since this looks like it would be right up your alley, any thoughts on this bike? The more I think about it, the more I don't think I need to have something to ride right away, it might be nice to pick up something on the cheap, and work on it, giving me some know how for the future as far as repairs.

I can see what look like a couple dings on the tank, other than looking a bit unpolished in spots, I like that the guy took nice pictures. I am always wary of 'as-is' sales.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2881107747.html

SSS

neo retired
I'd be leery of any bike that hasn't been ridden in a decade. Could be anything wrong, check the inside of the tank for rust. A little is typical, but if the inside is coated it's probably worked it's way into the carbs. Hopefully the stator and all the bits for the alternator are good. Might need new rectifier, probably new points. New brakes etc.. I don't think the 350 twin is as in demand as say the 350 four. However the twin is actually more powerful, ride won't be as smooth as the four but it's not bad. also, any purchase on craigslist is "as-is"

I'd probably buy that bike, even though I've got too many as is. :annoyed:

I have a little 400 hondamatic twin. Sounds like a sewing machine.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
people ask me if i miss my family. i tell them i miss my motorcycle.

most motorcycles in china aren't really motorcycles...engine sizes are 125cc. sometimes, quite rarely, i'll hear the engine of a real bike and turn my head.

there was a harley meet up a few days ago in zhejiang province. i just loved seeing these pictures, because it reminded me of the culture back home. god i'd love to hang with these guys.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/05/harley-davidson-national-rally-in-china/100515/

since i bumped this, anyone wanna talk about their bikes, things they've did, rides they've rode? riding to quebec in the summer of 2011 from virginia is still the highlight for me. i'd love to go on a long ride again. some friends of mine were talking about riding to tibet this summer...maybe they were talking out their ass, i dunno, but i'd take them up in an instant (and also probably die, because fuck chinese drivers).

SSS

neo retired

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I keep promising myself I'm going to sell some motorcycles, so I can buy something more long distance.

The longest ride I've done on my bikes is about 5 hours. My cruiser friends say that a more relaxed position doesnt make it easier. They say it's actually tougher, because you can't shift your weight like you can on a streetfighter.

I'm trying to track down a good 2000ish BMW R1200C. People think it's a collectors item, so it mostly a waste of time talking to sellers. If the Ducati Diavel sticks around, it's a strong candidate for an upcoming purchase. I'm also considering something like a fully loaded MG Breva.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
finally had time to get out this weekend. It was a little cold, but great for the engine. I flogged the hell out it after a fresh oil change.

cellphone pic. doesnt do it justice.
theduc.JPG

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I love motorcycles.

I have a 1997 cr250 that I really don't ride because it's an absolute beast and it kicks my ass every time. I'm also old.

I have a 2002 gsxr 1000, it's the one in my avatar, my first motorcycle. I only do track days on it now, just had one 2 weeks ago.

and last year I bought a 2013 Harley Davidson night rod special, I love this bike, everything about it. looks, riding position, comfort and it has plenty of power (100-110 ponies depending on the dyno).

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Picked up another bike this summer. I had a hard time only buying 1 additional bike. There are so many for sale right now. I need a bigger damn garage.

I'm adding another Italian to the fleet. This time it's a cruiser. Pics when i get her all cleaned up.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Long story short:

-Test rode a motorcycle for the first time in my 36 years on this earth. 1981 Honda CM 200...ok shape.

-Rode it around my uncles yard for a bit, had no problem starting/stopping/working the clutch etc.

-Tried to take a turn and due to an oversized steering limiter, landed up taking the motherfucker right into a 5'+ dropoff into a drainage ditch.

-Laid the bastard down on top of myself. Did engage the clutch but didn't brake in time...ouch. R leg trapped under the bike. Turned it off, removed my leg as it was starting to burn though my pants, picked up the bike.

-Bike was ok...fucked my legs up pretty good. I tucked in when I laid it down so no top end injuries (I know how to lay down from riding bikes for years)...grass helped. Some bruises on my R leg and a GIANT 4"x6" bruise/scaring on my L leg for some reason...still don't know how that happened.

-Sticking to bicycling...not going to devote the time I need to once again lay down some 100+ lb chunk of metal on myself. I'll stick to my 16lb carbon fiber bike...

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Long story short:

-Test rode a motorcycle for the first time in my 36 years on this earth. 1981 Honda CM 200...ok shape.

-Rode it around my uncles yard for a bit, had no problem starting/stopping/working the clutch etc.

-Tried to take a turn and due to an oversized steering limiter, landed up taking the motherfucker right into a 5'+ dropoff into a drainage ditch.

-Laid the bastard down on top of myself. Did engage the clutch but didn't brake in time...ouch. R leg trapped under the bike. Turned it off, removed my leg as it was starting to burn though my pants, picked up the bike.

-Bike was ok...fucked my legs up pretty good. I tucked in when I laid it down so no top end injuries (I know how to lay down from riding bikes for years)...grass helped. Some bruises on my R leg and a GIANT 4"x6" bruise/scaring on my L leg for some reason...still don't know how that happened.

-Sticking to bicycling...not going to devote the time I need to once again lay down some 100+ lb chunk of metal on myself. I'll stick to my 16lb carbon fiber bike...

sorry to hear that.

I started my motorcycle adventures on a gsxr 1000, the one in my avatar.

the hardest part is definitely going to be turning, it took me about a year to not have any chicken strips at all on my rear tire.

nowadays I only ride it at the track, much more fun than the streets.

don't give up so quickly, it takes time and practice.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
consider yourself lucky. Most people who start riding with a GSXR1000 are no longer with us.

take MSF class if you want to learn to ride. You don't just jump on a horse and take it to town, right?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I love motorcycles.

I have a 1997 cr250 that I really don't ride because it's an absolute beast and it kicks my ass every time. I'm also old.

I have a 2002 gsxr 1000, it's the one in my avatar, my first motorcycle. I only do track days on it now, just had one 2 weeks ago.

you started with a gsxr1000 but think the 250cc engine bike is a beast? wha-?

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
consider yourself lucky. Most people who start riding with a GSXR1000 are no longer with us.

take MSF class if you want to learn to ride. You don't just jump on a horse and take it to town, right?

I think that most people who jump right on a liter bike are probably young guys who try to do stunts and crazy shit asap, I really never cared for any of that, I just wanted to ride.

You can jump on a liter bike and learn to ride on it just fine, if you're gonna act like a fool on a motorcycle it really doesn't matter what bike you're gonna do it on, you're going down sooner or later.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Took the covers off the bikes this weekend. They need a good cleaning, but I'm pretty excited for the sun to finally be shining.

I'll mainly be working on the Moto Guzzi this year. picked up a California Titanium. In great shape, but was stored outdoors. Needs a little polish here and there.

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Need to get my son's CRF50 ready to go so him and I can start riding. Got to get the second CRF50 fixed up so that I can start teaching my daughter to ride. Probably do that in the next couple of weeks since it's starting to hit the 60's around here.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'd like to get an older street bike for my first ride, but there never seem to be any for sale in my neck of the woods. New street bikes, dirt bikes, and cruisers of every vintage are all I see. Is it even worth buying an older model of these or do they all eventually get dropped or fucked up/hard to maintain?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I'd like to get an older street bike for my first ride, but there never seem to be any for sale in my neck of the woods. New street bikes, dirt bikes, and cruisers of every vintage are all I see. Is it even worth buying an older model of these or do they all eventually get dropped or fucked up/hard to maintain?

Those engines are designed to run hard at high RPM. They typically don't hold compression well after 30,000 miles. Vtwins last 100k+ with moderate maintenance.
Old Street bikes are also becoming somewhat collectible. Old people want their first bikes back, and they are paying quite well for them.

You are also correct that these bikes get flogged to hell and back. You can buy a 3-5yr old streetbike for a $2k-$4k all day though.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm a motorcyclist. I don't own a car, just my motorcycle.

I currently have a CB500F 2013 model, which I bought brand new. Nothing too exciting, but it's good for commuting to work and back and the occasional road trip/mini holiday. Plus it's my first real bike (after 125s), so the power was plenty for me.

Once I have a house with a garage I plan on getting a Triumph Bonneville. I just couldn't bring myself to leave it outside in the UK weather.