Merit VS Seniority

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well I redacted it because I went on a long tangent that didn’t really answer Duf’s question and in the process I revealed a bit too much about myself. I need to get better at that, no one gives a shit about the trials and tribulations of moe’s career.

But to answer your question Lagduf...the volunteer stuff is technically not required...but in some ways i suppose it can impact future career growth which is admittedly shitty. It’s a long complicated story, hence my redacted post, but probably not worth going into it. I am a corporate stooge but try to be a decent boss.
lol

I read your post you silly Billy.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Aye Calamba. I new to this redacting thing. I has much to learn.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Re: being friends with your boss- sure, yes, definitely be cordial/friendly at work, but I'm not in favor of being friends outside of work with either your boss or people you supervise. The front office at my job was a good example of why for a while- one of our department heads was basically best friends with one of her employees. They went on vacations together, the works. When employee fucked up (and she fucked up a lot), supervisor would look the other way or cover for her. The department head's other employees noticed the preferential treatment, and the other department heads were... unimpressed.

You just never know when you may need to correct or discipline or fire someone, and ya gotta treat everyone the same.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Being friends with your employees is just dumb. I struggle now at supervisory level being friends with those who are peers in different departments.

Most people can’t separate work and not work effectively. As above, even with peers it can create some conflict of interest issues.

It gets lonelier the closer to the top you get, I suppose, if you have ethics in you.

Oh well, I’m convinced people hate speaking to me at work because I take notes by hand on every conversation that is about an issue, haha.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I always take notes when I converse with coworkers and residents too, especially when they want me to do something for them. I get pulled every which way all day/evening and it's easy to forget shit if I don't write it down, and sometimes I still forget.

I don't hang out with my co-workers outside of work though, that would cut into my valuable NG.com shitposting time. You've gotta set boundaries and stick to them!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It gets lonelier the closer to the top you get, I suppose, if you have ethics in you.

Yeah I can definitely agree with this. You have less work pals at the top. Everyone was my friend when I was in the field as a scientist. My team still makes excuses for stuff rather than just being up front. Always walking on egg shells.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah you should never be close friends with people you supervise. You can't be thinking about maintaining friendships when you're making already difficult fiscal and personnel decisions. That said, you always want to be friendly/cordial and legitimately root for peoples' success while remaining professional. In my line of work, young people who are crazy motivated can easily find themselves in high-level management positions within five to ten years, especially if they career hop around for promotions so you never know who could end up being your boss on a long enough timeline.

However, I've had employees invite me to their weddings and tell me about their fucking bedroom problems. Bitch, I'm your boss not your therapist.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
However, I've had employees invite me to their weddings and tell me about their fucking bedroom problems. Bitch, I'm your boss not your therapist.

I hate when people do shit like this. Please, I don’t need to be exposed to your drama and/or trauma.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
At my old job my boss added me as a friend on Facebook. I was like everyone loves Moe at the time and didn’t think much of it....but when he started posting work related questions when I was on vacation I was like wtf.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What kind of world related questions? Like how does the coffee machine work? Or who took a dump on the bathroom floor?

those are the kinds of questions I have seen in emails.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
A friend of mine once told me a story about someone at his work that was jacking off in the bathroom. Apparently they would ejaculate into paper towels and shove them behind the toilet. The cleaning lady complained at some point. The mystery was never solved conclusively but the incidents eventually stopped after a key suspect left the company.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
At my old job my boss added me as a friend on Facebook. I was like everyone loves Moe at the time and didn’t think much of it....but when he started posting work related questions when I was on vacation I was like wtf.
Sounds like autism.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A friend of mine once told me a story about someone at his work that was jacking off in the bathroom. Apparently they would ejaculate into paper towels and shove them behind the toilet. The cleaning lady complained at some point. The mystery was never solved conclusively but the incidents eventually stopped after a key suspect left the company.
Sounds like attachment issues.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

This is probably one of those people that shits and never flushes. I never understand those people, but they are everywhere....

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
People who shit, wipe, and then flush are animals.

Especially with the quality of the toilet’s suction and flushing power being unknown.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
People who shit, wipe, and then flush are animals.

Especially with the quality of the toilet’s suction and flushing power being unknown.
I am 100% serious when I say I used to not flush because of Aqua Teen. The one where Carl is killed by a toilet. "Do you know how much water is used to flush? Three GALLONS."

In my mind, I was doing my part to save water. Now I realize I was being retarded.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hope you’re referring to when you pee. Leaving a baby Logsage in the toilet is just…gross.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If it's yellow, keep it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. - Phil Ken Sebben

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
2021 is the year of Neo Geo confessions. So much gold coming out. I should be logging it into the canon.