Merit VS Seniority

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oh you guys, c'mon. A little moe in your personal lives is not a bad thing. if I just sat at my desk all day long playing spreadsheets and software and responding to emails I'd shoot myself. But I get it, everyone is different.

On the charitable oerganizations front, there are like 50 charitable organizations they've partnered with...usually people can find something that resonates with them. One of the biggest is reading to kids. Its great.

Keep in mind...my job is essentially trying to make rich people even richer...so perhaps all this stuff I am talking about is a way to make an otherwise unfulffilling job more meaningful. If I was curing cancer then yeah maybe I wouldnt care about this stuff.

As it is though, I've been there for a decade and had a good time working at this company. When I was sick in the hospital for many months my boss kept insisting on coming to my house to work on my yard so it wouldnt get out of control and my kids could have a nice clean yeard to play in during the pandemic and because I was away. I had someone taking care of the yard already so instead he bought a shit load of toys for my kids including a bunch of big lego sets for them, which as M knows are not cheap. Multiple people were calling my wife to check on her and sending her grubhub gift cards so she wouldnt have to worry about cooking and could just focus on the kids. I was out so long there were concerns my 6 month short term disability would run out and i had the CEO and head of HR call me up telling me I had nothing to worry about if that happened.

I've woked hard for them and have fun doing it and they've treated me well, but like I said everyone is wired differently and want different things from work. If that sounds like an evil corporation then thats fine, we all want different things in life.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I should volunteer and I want to do good but I am also selfish and I recognize that. I am not selfish to the detriment of others, of course.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Evil takes care of their own when it’s in their interest. Are you sure you don’t work for John Grisham’s the Firm?

What matters most is that you like your job and youre happy.

I’ve given it a lot of thought and were I a millionaire I don’t think I’d work, volunteer, or engage in any activism or charity.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Don’t worry Moe, these days I’m a company man through and through.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Mandatory Volunteer work can loosely be required as long as it is not for-profit. It's pretty sketchy tho. also pretty shitty.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So this conversation prompted me to login into our time management system and view my team's volunteer hours. We are each allotted 40 hours per year but much to my surprise some of my staff has not used any of them yet....

That better change by the time I start writing performance reviews at year end - otherwise some folks may have a very un-merry holiday bonus...

The clock is ticking!!!!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Explain, exactly, how this works?

If I work for you I cansay take 8 hours off to work 8 hours of volunteer work and I somehow need to then provide proof of said work?

So it’s like paid time off but it’s paid volunteer time? Wait - do I get paid my normal rate?

Otherwise why the fuck would I want to do this?

My heart is cold.

I’ve literally never heard of this before, not even in popular media as a thing.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Kind of....but you don't need to provide "proof" since the charities are like corporate partners. We have teams for each charitable organization, and you can join whetever team you want. Events are during normal work hours....some happen at our office, some happen offsite. If offsite, the company provides transportation to and from the site.

None of our full time employees are pad hourly, everyone is salaried. When you put volunteer time in it goes to your calendar, managers know not to schedule meetings/deliverables etc as they will be unavailable. And yeah, you don't use your personal or vacation time for this stuff....thats why the have a separate bucket for volunteer time.

Some events, like bike rides or walks etc, might happen on a weekend...but there definitely isnt an expectation for people to sacrifice their weekends or after-hours for this stuff.

I've been involved with a bunch but some of them very powerful and heartbreaking. To experience that with someone you work with is a very powerful thing. For example, one of the organizations is a women's shelter. The stories you hear are horrifying. We help with resume writing, mock interviews, clothing drives to wear to interviews etc....try and help a ittle to get them indpendent and on their feet again. You go through that with someone whom you may see at the office everyday but never interact with and it definitely makes a connection between you both.

And ultimately, albeit in a very indirect or roundabout way, I think it has a very positive impact on the work environment.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
“Corporate Partners” sends a chill down my spine.

Interesting policy and I’m glad the employees get some value from it.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
“Corporate Partners” sends a chill down my spine.

Interesting policy and I’m glad the employees get some value from it.

well i'm kind of shooting from the hip...thats not the official term. I just mean there is an established relationship with whatever organization thats been vetted.

I mean I couldn't put in 8 hours with NAMBLA or something...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What if I objected to all the charities?

I guess I can’t object to the women’s shelter on any moral grounds lol.

Or maybe I could…it’s too traumatic.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Dude, it would be really cool if i was required to volunteer during my 12 hour night shift. I could like... Go spray down the strip club stalls, or help close out the bar at 3 am.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

"Oooh, Mr. Duf. Well, looks here you didn't participate in the mandatory volunteer program. Out of everyone in the office, only you objected. We here at Moeseph Industries take pride in remembering the human. Effective 13:00 hours, pack your things up and leave the premises. Maybe next time while feeding the homeless I'll see you."

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Why does Moeseph Industries operate on military time? Do they manufacture neo-moessiles for the Air Force?

neo_mao

15 Year Member

REDACTED! :p

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I donate 24/7/365 to the ‘Duf fund.

Save the Duffalo! So endangered there is only one of his kind left.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
REDACTED! :p
Forcing workers to do mandatory volunteering, that's a paddlin'. Not disclosing your salary, that's a paddlin'. Redacting a post after a few hours? Oh you better believe that's a paddlin'.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Forcing workers to do mandatory volunteering, that's a paddlin'. Not disclosing your salary, that's a paddlin'. Redacting a post after a few hours? Oh you better believe that's a paddlin'.

Well I redacted it because I went on a long tangent that didn’t really answer Duf’s question and in the process I revealed a bit too much about myself. I need to get better at that, no one gives a shit about the trials and tribulations of moe’s career.

But to answer your question Lagduf...the volunteer stuff is technically not required...but in some ways i suppose it can impact future career growth which is admittedly shitty. It’s a long complicated story, hence my redacted post, but probably not worth going into it. I am a corporate stooge but try to be a decent boss.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey bud, here's a LoneSage Pro Tip for you: leave some mystery. People enjoy filling in the holes.