Magic:The Gathering

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Guys, I've been intentionally avoiding this thread. I don't want any more spoilers than I've already seen. I rather enjoy opening up packs and not seeing what kind of cards I'm going to get. See you next month. Haha

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Guys, I've been intentionally avoiding this thread. I don't want any more spoilers than I've already seen. I rather enjoy opening up packs and not seeing what kind of cards I'm going to get. See you next month. Haha

Why would you do that? then youre way behind for prelease and standard format if you dont know how to value cards

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Why would you do that? then youre way behind for prelease and standard format if you dont know how to value cards

I rarely compete any more. If I do, it's just for fun. I am going to prerelease, but just at a small local shop. Doubt there will be more than 16 people.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I rarely compete any more. If I do, it's just for fun. I am going to prerelease, but just at a small local shop. Doubt there will be more than 16 people.

fair enough I play somewhat competitively so your notion of not looking at the spoilers just didnt make sense to me lol

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Must.. make.. Ally.. deck.. even if it will suck in modern :)

Ally-Encampment-Battle-for-Zendikar-Spoiler-216x302.png

Also this card could do some shake up on the modern scene.

Horribly-Awry.jpg

Last edited:

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Any of you guys go to the pre-release today? I opened a bunch of mediocre cards. One of my buddies got an expedition for the new dual lands; the blue/black one. The guy next to me opened a pre-release promo foil Ob Nixilis.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
@ mokkori horribly awry only counters creatures it will not be good in modern

Also I played in the pre release opened a ulamog but this format sucks its all just ramp into fatties with clogged board states and poopy removal

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
news flash, that's been magic for five years

You obviously haven't played much have you? Also I'm talking about limited formats like draft and sealed for battle for zendikar the other limited formats of the last few sets have been much better imo

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I welcome this set with open arms. I think standard needs to be slowed down. Was a bit too fast after Khans, imo.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
@ mokkori horribly awry only counters creatures it will not be good in modern

Also I played in the pre release opened a ulamog but this format sucks its all just ramp into fatties with clogged board states and poopy removal

Mana leak and Spell snare will always be modern staples but with the amount of small CMC creatures in modern, I wouldn't mind exiling a Goblin Guide :)

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Any of you guys noticed a price increase for the Fat Packs, in your local store?

Mine just increased it by 100%..... 40 CND to 80 CND.. talk about profit margin..

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Any of you guys noticed a price increase for the Fat Packs, in your local store?

Mine just increased it by 100%..... 40 CND to 80 CND.. talk about profit margin..

Wow, that's criminal. I'm going to check my local stores and see.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The past 3 years have been anything but slow in standard. But with Theros rotating out and Zendikar coming in, things are going to slow down quite a bit. I still think Red is hurt the most with the lost of lightning strike and foundry street denizen. Loosing stoke is kinda of a big deal even thought we got a cheaper 4 damage spell but at sorcery speed. But even with all those set backs i can still see a top tiered red deck in the new standard.

Abzan and other green midrange decks in general seem poised to take over. They loose out on both courser and caryatid but gain the slow duals and a man land for b/w. Everything else in abzan is already solid and they have the most pwerful card in standard.

Control is always weak whenever a new block rotates in but the u/b control deck of standard last season didnt loose too many valuable pieces. Obviously the loss of hero's downfall hurts but they will make due with that other spell at sorcery speed. The deck gains enough to make it stay competitive.

Of course whats most exciting is to see what new archytypes that are gonna show up in the new season. The arrival of the new duals is huge and i think we might get to see lots of new brews out of the gate.
As for charging double the price for fatpacks and other release product? It's a bunch of bull but sadly it's not up to wizards.The demand of the fat packs is just really high. If you guys remember what happen to the last zendikar fat packs, then you know that people expect the same thing to happen again. Personally I just don't see it because aside from the expedition lands, there is almost nothing from the set that will be worth anything.

And this is not the first time stores charge above msrp for magic products. The Grixis commander deck released 2 years ago had a couple of powerful legacy cards that raised the value of that product by at least $20-$30 dollars. People would go to walmart and target and just buy out stock of that set. Eventually wizards did make another print run to help out alliviate demand but things were getting crazy for that short time.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

If its for the new BFZ fat packs its because greedy bastards are trying to cash in on the fact that its stuffed with full art lands. The packs should still be retailing for 40 bucks so get them online and tell your LGS to fuck off.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Even online they're overpriced. They're also selling out pretty quickly. The price will go down after launch. Once people realize that this set is not a gold mine of either good cards or resale value, the price will drop. Also, with the holidays nearing, Wizards will pump these out faster than anything.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Even online they're overpriced. They're also selling out pretty quickly. The price will go down after launch. Once people realize that this set is not a gold mine of either good cards or resale value, the price will drop. Also, with the holidays nearing, Wizards will pump these out faster than anything.

agree, in this set if you buy a booster box you are almost guaranteed to lose money unless you open an expidition land.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Anybody got an expedition land? :)

None so far for me :(

Got 2 Gideons tho... meh..

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So am I hearing the set isn't that great? i really wanted another Return to Ravnica. I loved that set.

I really need to get on MTGO and get some commons and uncommons, and research some rares.

What are these dual lands going for? Ridiculous amounts I assume?

Also, are there any much have cards for a Green, Black, White deck? My deck is now standard, so I am going to have to do some tweaking.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, Return to Zendikar seems to be shit. Mediocre set with a bunch of crappy and slow Eldrazi.

Everybody is flipping out over the return of full art lands. Fat packs are listed for 150%-200% markup just because you get a stack of them. It's ridiculous because of how plentiful they are.

And about those reprinted fetches... you get 1 of about every 4 booster boxes. That's fucking 1 out of 144 packs. People are flipping them for about $120.

Huge price crash to come soon, and I'll be laughing at how much these dumbasses overpaid.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah, Return to Zendikar seems to be shit. Mediocre set with a bunch of crappy and slow Eldrazi.

Everybody is flipping out over the return of full art lands. Fat packs are listed for 150%-200% markup just because you get a stack of them. It's ridiculous because of how plentiful they are.

And about those reprinted fetches... you get 1 of about every 4 booster boxes. That's fucking 1 out of 144 packs. People are flipping them for about $120.

Huge price crash to come soon, and I'll be laughing at how much these dumbasses overpaid.

Jesus titty Christ.

I collect video games, and vinyl, I would love to collect magic, but it's ridiculous. I may have to just stick with modern. Standard is for full time workers who live at home.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Standard really is secretly the biggest money sink of all. People's eyes might bug out when they see cards for vintage that are thousands of dollars or hundreds in modern, but those cards will always be useful and collectible. Standard rotates out every 2 years and 95% of those cards become useless and literally worthless. Definitely wise to stick to modern.