Magic:The Gathering

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I stopped after magic origins. Wasn't impressed with the Eldrazi shit.

Innistrad interests me though.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Planeswalker?
Thanks!
arlinn-kord.png

clue...and 4different card type graveyard condition=convoluted bleh, not that I actually play.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

I remember drafting this a few years back, laughed my ass off. At least in draft Innistrad reminded me of Lorwyn, very good world-building and fun cards. I think I still have a werewolf deck somewhere.
1415378980-31409000.jpg

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

I stopped a little before that but want to pick up again since new innistrad is looking good. Zendikar did not make me want to come back and play either.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I remember drafting this a few years back, laughed my ass off. At least in draft Innistrad reminded me of Lorwyn, very good world-building and fun cards. I think I still have a werewolf deck somewhere.
View attachment 34129

Hahahaha, I drafted that card a couple times too. Which in hindsight was dumb, because there were far more werewolves and vampires than zombies in that set.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Aaaaand passed by the local shop to reserves some boxes.

WotC 1
Mokkori 0

:(

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
I started during Unlimited and I quit when they introduced phasing with Mirage. Never looked back. Started playing Yugioh after that and now I am interested in getting back into Magic.

The circle of liiiiiiiiiife...

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So Ancestral Vision got unbanned. Managed to get two of them before the price spiked to 60$ US T_T.

Not sure how it will affect the blue decks but it will help for sure.

Who's getting some cards tomorrow??? :) SOI release date!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Definitely interested in SOI, will probably pick up a few packs.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
How are the new sets?

I played way back right before revised came out, and started back during return to ravnica. I think that was a good time to get back in, because RTR was an awesome set, and if I recall correctly, the best selling set of all time.

I ended up playing online off and on for fun, and drafts up till Dragons of Tarkir. I think a big reason I trailed off besides it being so damn expensive, was that Return to Ravnica was like heroin, and I could never get that fix from the later sets. It was just in my opinion a really fun set, that block up to RTR when it finally phased out was devastating time.

So, I was thinking of getting back in recently during my upcoming school break for a few weeks. But I have to know, are the sets in standard now pretty damn fun? or just OK?

Also, what are the duel lands to have right now?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I kinda been on a break from magic for a year myself but finally played in the SOI pre release event last week. Thought sealed was fun. Standard is probably at its most exciting is going to be right now since we just hit rotation so the format is trying to figure itself out like always. I'm either going to be building a vampire tribal deck or a red aggro deck. Those are my bread and butter.

If you want to go multi color, there are the rare cycle of dual lands from RTZ, and the rare cycle of dual lands from SOI. There are a couple of dual color enemy man lands in RTZ block that are worth getting if you are going into those colors as well. Oh and Eldrazi is a thing as well and there are a couple of lands that you want to get if you plan to go that route.

If you have any interest in any other formats other than standard, then now is the time to pick up the fetch lands from the Khans block. Since they just recently rotated out of standard, they will be at their cheapest point. They might go a bit lower within the next 6 months but they will for sure slowly start going up eventually. I don't think we will ever see their price go back to the level they were before the reprint but they will most certainly go back up in price. And as always, you should look out for the other modern dual lands like the fast lands, filter lands, check lands, and shock lands. OG dual lands are pretty up there though. Anything that has blue in it goes for over $200, and the cheaper ones will cost you around $50.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Any new standard brews you guys working on?
As a red player, I'm finding it very difficult to build anything good that features red as the primary color.

Even in vampires, seems like B/R is the way to go.
I'll post anything I can come up with or find later on.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There's a format that I just found out about called Magic '95/'96 on facebook, which is only using cards from

English 4th Edition
Chronicles
Fallen Empires
Homelands
Ice Age
Alliances

Super cheap format (Force of Will is the most expensive card in the entire format), and looks fun, because this time was right when I started playing magic.

here's a link to the fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1605770353077277/

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Modern is a watered-down Legacy and should not be played by anyone. Good riddance.

95-96 sounds cool. 93-94 is dope in theory but decks are insane expensive and I would have no one to play with.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Modern is a watered-down Legacy and should not be played by anyone. Good riddance.

95-96 sounds cool. 93-94 is dope in theory but decks are insane expensive and I would have no one to play with.

Way back in the day, we used to play Emperor with a 300 card deck made from the Legends set. Looking at the price of those cards now makes me super sad.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Modern and Legacy are both wastes of time (and don't get me started on the fucking money) because the most powerful meta has already been established and these new sets are doing nothing to shake that up. All Wizards cares about is selling cards and so standard draft is their baby.

I'm finding the most fun to be had in Magic is to create new formats that don't allow broken cards/combos in it, and Magic '95/'96 is looking like it will fit the bill nicely. Pauper is a great idea as well.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Have you ever actually played Legacy? There's literally 15-20 playable 'tier 1' decks. Straight up Eldrazi aggro is one of the best decks in the format, and it didn't even exist a year ago. New cards get added in Legacy decks all the time. At least twice a year minimum a card comes out that puts a new deck over the top like Delver, Ad Nauseum, or Thespian's Stage.

It's expensive as fuck, that's for sure though. I cashed out a while ago because I couldn't justify owning decks worth more than my car.

xorthen

Banned
Playing Vintage/Legacy competitively is shit. It's too expensive and you get raped by Force of Williams, and other broken shit. Too many broken 2 drop cards kind of ruined it for me even in modern. I used to like when people played with variety. If it costs more than 3 mana you are usually fucked. It's kind of like playing MVC2 and everyone picks sentinel, storm, cable, or other variants. It was cool at first but then you realized it was a big broken mess.

Last edited: