le geek's Shockbox Insert Thread

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
What official yellow do you mean? I've been wanting to change the Puzzle template to match the same shade used in Le Geeks "Magical Drop 3" insert. The print comes off a lot better than the current template.

When I say official yellow it is the yellow used on all templates. The yellow Ben is using is more of a mustard yellow.

Which one is closer to the color that SNK used? My puzzle collection looks off because there is a mix between the two yellows, Ben makes some awesome inserts but I just want consistency with the puzzle section.

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
When I say official yellow it is the yellow used on all templates. The yellow Ben is using is more of a mustard yellow.

Which one is closer to the color that SNK used? My puzzle collection looks off because there is a mix between the two yellows, Ben makes some awesome inserts but I just want consistency with the puzzle section.

The yellow BIGBEAR used on Puzzle Bobble and Magical Drop III is FFCC33 or (255,204,51). I didn't change it when I reworked Magical Drop III, but used a slightly darker yellow on Puzzled (which I've since corrected on my hard drive).

What do you guys prefer? I'm not a big fan of the yellow green, so I am probably going to stick with FFCC33. Happy to make variants on request...

Cheers,
Ben

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
le geek said:
The yellow BIGBEAR used on Puzzle Bobble and Magical Drop III is FFCC33 or (255,204,51). I didn't change it when I reworked Magical Drop III, but used a slightly darker yellow on Puzzled (which I've since corrected on my hard drive).

What do you guys prefer? I'm not a big fan of the yellow green, so I am probably going to stick with FFCC33. Happy to make variants on request...

Cheers,
Ben

Yeah and that Yellow-Green is the color I picked for the Puzzle template which was a tribute to BigBear and his first Puzzle release (Puzzle de Pon). I figured he would stick with that color and I changed mine accordingly. I later discovered that BigBear just goes with whatever looks good with the insert. Like I said, the current templates puzzle color is that yellow-green tint that doesn't pop so nice.

I would stick with the FFCC33 (if that's the same as your Magical Drop 3 insert). I would ask DUB to go into the template and change it as well. Perhaps going into all the classic/FF inserts to change them for consistency. Afterall, he did the PINK O's, this project doesn't even come close to that.

That's my opinion guys.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
I would ask DUB to go into the template and change it as well. Perhaps going into all the classic/FF inserts to change them for consistency. Afterall, he did the PINK O's, this project doesn't even come close to that.

That's my opinion guys.

Im down for a color change, just everyone agree on the color. Yes, nothing compares to the Pink O revision haha

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
I later discovered that BigBear just goes with whatever looks good with the insert.
That's my opinion guys.
That's very perceptive of you. I just go with my creative flow because there was never really any standard in place. That goes for the pink O as well. I believe I may have noticed the pink O but left it in place in order to make a counterfeiter work to correct the flaw if he or she chose to use an insert image for bad intentions. It also served as an identifying mark of some of my work in the beginning. There may have been more purposeful flaws or mistakes I left in place on purpose.
BB

5yn@ps3

New Challenger
BIG BEAR said:
There may have been more purposeful flaws or mistakes I left in place on purpose.
BB

Well it wasn't till I had 50 inserts printed and I was halfway through cutting them out that I noticed that, apparently, 'Neo Geo is a Trademark of SNK Corportaion'.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I agree to make the FFCC33 the standard puzzle yellow. It's a much nicer yellow than the banana puke yellow.

Edit: just saw the other thread. The FFF000 looks very nice.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I believe I can take responsibility for the pink O leaving it the way it was but something like Corportaion is a mistake,nothing I did on purpose if it's on any insert I assembled.

BB

5yn@ps3 said:
Well it wasn't till I had 50 inserts printed and I was halfway through cutting them out that I noticed that, apparently, 'Neo Geo is a Trademark of SNK Corportaion'.

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Getting close...
bstarwork3.jpg

Now to knock out the background with a clean starscape...

Cheers,
Ben

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
le geek said:
Getting close...
bstarwork3.jpg

Now to knock out the background with a clean starscape...

Cheers,
Ben

Nice Ben. Can't wait.

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Ragnagard release candidate
ragnagard7-copy.jpg

Updated with NeoCverA's SNK logo...

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Overtop FF
overtop-ff-copy.jpg

Should I go with the template green instead? I like the darker green better, but since we're trying to standardize the puzzle yellow...

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
King of Fighters 2002 FF
kof02-ff-copy.jpg

Fixed SUN logo...

Tweaked the existing insert to adhere to the full frontal style. I also found better artwork for the Kyo, Blue Mary and Benimaru images on the back. (My previous KoF02 inserts will also be updated with the better back artwork).

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:

J69

Hardened Shock Trooper
Can someone host the blazing star FF please. I cant find it anywhere to print off.]

thanks

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
blazingstar-copy.jpg

Still WIP but getting really close...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ben

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I don't care for the horizontal positioning of the illustration myself. I would go vertical with the illustration but reposition alot of stuff so that it will fit on the back cover.
BB

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
It's a shame that you're going to be covering up some of that art on the back cover because you put so much time into fixing up this flyer. Have you considered saying the hell with it and flipping your spine logo so that it's in-line with the art itself - I know its a funky thing but your insert is one that will make someone open up the shockbox and spread it out like a playboy pin-up.

Well whatever you decide, it will be great i'm sure. You did an outstanding job!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
I don't care for the horizontal positioning of the illustration myself. I would go vertical with the illustration but reposition alot of stuff so that it will fit on the back cover.
BB

heres a twist on the original concept with the vertical art.
blazingstarFFooocopy.jpg

just a rough cut to give an example. Kinda gives you another angle on the original, like another battle going on or perhaps the battle before the crew went on to the next battle.

or this
blazingstarFFlegeekplay.jpg

ahh crap, well that pink ship thats on the spine would be on the back going after the green boss.

Last edited:

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Yeah I see what you guys mean. I was enjoying the 'vertigo' of the previous one, but it doesn't quite work.

Here's a quick tweaked version...
blazingstar-copy2.jpg

The back is still rough, but I think the front is now coming together...

Cheers,
Ben

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I would make the green mech larger & the main space ship smaller so there would be some type of focal point on the front. I would then place the rest of the space ships surrounding the main ship and opposing mechs on the back cover.
BB